Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Performance has left me a bit cold. After all the rumours about “Plaid” and “Ludicrous” the very slight increase in performance is disappointing. The upgraded suspension and better seats are welcome but for me the whole package isn’t worth an extra £10k. It would have to come down by at least £5k with much lower interest rates for me to even begin thinking about getting one.
I suspect that once the early adopters who can’t wait to get their hands on one have been satisfied Tesla will have to introduce price cuts or other significant incentives to keep sales moving.

• Funny
Reactions: STUtoday and Durzel
FWIW I think there's a good chance there will be a 'boost' software upgrade a bit later to bring the 0-60 time down. Although it'll be interesting to see how much different the 1/4 mile time is once someone's tested it. That'll tell us more about how it's improved at the upper end, which has been a bit of a failing with the existing M3P when compared to something like the Taycan.

The new Performance has left me a bit cold. After all the rumours about “Plaid” and “Ludicrous” the very slight increase in performance is disappointing. The upgraded suspension and better seats are welcome but for me the whole package isn’t worth an extra £10k. It would have to come down by at least £5k with much lower interest rates for me to even begin thinking about getting one.
I suspect that once the early adopters who can’t wait to get their hands on one have been satisfied Tesla will have to introduce price cuts or other significant incentives to keep sales moving.
Ironically if I had bought this car today, and not knowing anything different, I'd probably feel like there were £10k worth of changes.

In retrospect I don't know why I didn't really question how little difference there was (is) between the old LR and P. I was so swept up in ordering it, and wanted the absolute fastest one that was available, that I didn't really question it too much. Looking back now though it really is lacklustre, especially when you consider a LR+Boost is probably 90-95% of the performance.

Ironically if I had bought this car today, and not knowing anything different, I'd probably feel like there were £10k worth of changes.

In retrospect I don't know why I didn't really question how little difference there was (is) between the old LR and P. I was so swept up in ordering it, and wanted the absolute fastest one that was available, that I didn't really question it too much. Looking back now though it really is lacklustre, especially when you consider a LR+Boost is probably 90-95% of the performance.
At the time of ordering our first Tesla (the M3P) the performance obtainable at relatively affordable cost was the allure in switching to an EV. Having experienced it and realising that, whist fun, it's unnecessary we opted for the LR when buying the Model Y. Yet if we were looking for a new Model 3 today I would still find myself pulled toward the P version.

Worth pointing out as well that view will be coloured by exactly when you ordered it. I don't think I ever saw such an oscillation in the price delta between the LR and P in the time I was interested in ordering a Model 3. When I first got into the idea the price difference was £3k, then as Tesla did their random price changes and the EV tax credits situation changed it went out to £10k by the time I was in a position to order. That alone settled my decision to by a LR.

I won't buy another M3P whilst it has the same battery pack as the LR. It's such a significant, costly component that has a fundamental impact on performance, range and charging. Mine was bought when they were £10k more expensive and I was fine with this.

If I had to go out and buy another Model 3 today it would be the RWD.

I test drove the Highland on about the first UK day of release, Tesla were keen on getting me in for a drive (plus I also had the opportunity to raz an S Plaid!!) and then asking if I wanted to change?

When doing the finance maths with Tesla trade-in and finance settlement having a £10k disparity all bets were off. That was before any new deposit and elevated finance were considered! So, happy for now with my current ‘goldilocks’ ’22 M3LR with stalks and USS and all its multitude of upgrades!! (Plus I’ve just black powder-coated the 19" Sport wheels!)

However, if I were in charge I’d contact all us owners, take our existing well-loved cars off us and put us into whatever we wanted on another extended 4yr PCP deal for approx. the same money. Might tolerate a small increase for inflationary sakes. Let’s be realistic!!

Old car then goes into the second hand pool for others to use and top up Elon’s supercharger network income stream, as well as any servicing or repairs that will be needed down the line?

Win-win - more Tesla’s out there and more of us loyal folk tied into the Tesla ecosystem for another 4years. Plus of course you keep/transfer any AB, EAP and FSD you were daft enough to buy in the first place to the new car (plus maybe a small handling/transfer fee)

Revenue stream complete and we're sustaining the planet, enhancing the transition to sustainable,... blah, blah all good👍

But then what do I know about business and P&L???

Reactions: phil4
US states charge different amount of taxes so in the US prices are advertised as without tax.

Add 10% import duty, 20% VAT and first registration fee and the numbers make more sense.
Makes you wonder why the Germans are paying approx. £10K less despite paying 19% VAT and 10% import duty.

Would love to upgrade my 2019 M3LR but this degree of price gouging is unacceptable. Looks like I'll be keeping my M3LR a little while longer

Reactions: PITA
It may also indicate that Tesla are diverted Panasonic capacity away from Model S and X to ensure the MH3P, that has the greatest margins, gets the full tax credit.

Perhaps the Panasonic solution, developed more closely with Tesla, offers higher peak discharge rates for the halo products.
Nah, S/X still use 18650 batteries vs the 3 using 2170s
Difference will be down the the LG pack from Shanghai vs the Panasonic pack from Fremont.

I won't buy another M3P whilst it has the same battery pack as the LR. It's such a significant, costly component that has a fundamental impact on performance, range and charging. Mine was bought when they were £10k more expensive and I was fine with this.

If I had to go out and buy another Model 3 today it would be the RWD.
Aside from "We're building packs as fast as we can, Captain!"...

I think there's a bit of a missed opportunity here. If Tesla guaranteed "when/if you want a replacement pack in 8 years, any improvements in power delivery with the new pack (for a cost of $15k or less) will be leveraged to the capability of the motors in your vehicle" I think it would tip the scales for some buyers (perhaps you included). Basically a counter to Osborne-esque concerns at time of purchase.

T
Which other models use 2170s from Fremont?

Model Y LR and Performance?
Yep, as far as I know all Fremont RWD, LR, & Performance Y are Panasonic 2170 (and thus eligible for the tax credit) and the Performance 3 also.
It has bounced around a bit over recent months but I believe the Fremont 3LR is on LG cells now given it isn’t eligible for the credit, and the standard range 3 is still CATL prismatic.

I’m still up in the air which one to order. When looking at EPA ranges the other day that’s also obviously missing that the LG has less capacity so they potentially have the Performance just 10 miles less than a LR in the US because of this. So the European cars could be lower.

Kyle didn’t get to drive one but the Sports seats side bolsters on the demo car he sat in looked like already getting some wear on the sides. Also he mentioned he was riding the edges of the bolsters but they are soft so felt it was OK. However maybe OK for a short period but would it still feel comfortable to be like that on a long trip.

Really wish someone could say what the suspension is like compared to a LR… sadly all the reviews felt a bit lacking in some ways.

I’m still up in the air which one to order. When looking at EPA ranges the other day that’s also obviously missing that the LG has less capacity so they potentially have the Performance just 10 miles less than a LR in the US because of this. So the European cars could be lower.

Kyle didn’t get to drive one but the Sports seats side bolsters on the demo car he sat in looked like already getting some wear on the sides. Also he mentioned he was riding the edges of the bolsters but they are soft so felt it was OK. However maybe OK for a short period but would it still feel comfortable to be like that on a long trip.

Really wish someone could say what the suspension is like compared to a LR… sadly all the reviews felt a bit lacking in some ways.
I think the only way you will know what is best for your personal circumstances is if you were able to get a test drive in a Performance when they finally arrive over here.

TLDR: Glowing review of the suspension.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HQBNpLy_o/?

Jason Cammisa on Instagram:
Model 3 Performance no longer has to make excuses for anything else.

The last one was a good car, but the interior was econo-box, seats were unsupportive, ride was flinty, handling was sketchy, and steering was gainy and overboosted. It’s ALL fixed.

Adaptive shocks and a full tuning rethink give new M3P a luxury sport-sedan ride: beautiful body control, no harshness. Big suspension moves are one-and-done. It’s (gasp) perfect.

The steering is quick but not uncomfortably so. Front end is incredibly responsive w lots of high-frequency road texture coming through. Feels v rigid.

BMW M3 is no longer the sports-sedan benchmark.

Reactions: boombap
TLDR: Glowing review of the suspension.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6HQBNpLy_o/?

Jason Cammisa on Instagram:
Yeah I listened to his full 1 odd hour podcast but what isn’t clear is:

1. What version of the Model 3 Performance previous gen suspension is he comparing it to? They switched to a more comfortable suspension in 2022 I think it was.
2. Does not compare again the Highland LR

However I do suspect it’s very good plus it’s software based so Tesla can improve it over time also.