Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I'm sure I sound needy af, but this is a huge purchase and I just would like some semblance of certainty. This lady had a similar attitude as you describe, just very flippant. She went on to say that all cars are "custom orders" and I have to wait until they decide to build mine, as if there is a Model 3 on the assembly line that has my name on it. She also seemed to have a canned response that "there is not an issue with white interiors," it is just a matter of "production," etc. The idea they shouldn't advertise products for sale that they aren't willing to produce apparently never occurred to her.
OMG - after the lady went on about how she could do nothing a few hours later, I HAVE A VIN! I hate to be this way but I guess the answer is just to bug them until someone finally does something.

Black interior - right?

Black interior or white?
Sorry, should have specified. I switched to black interior (LR) on weds after being pushed into August. I think may have been the issue in my call earlier - lady didn’t understand I had already switched the config (I tried to make this clear tho). Perhaps that became obvious after the call and she just assigned me a matching car.

I finally received the notification to schedule my delivery of my M3 AWD | black interior and have it set for next Saturday morning, 4/20 @ 10:00a EST (they only offered for me to pick it up either Friday 4/19 or Saturday 4/20).

Question for those who've already taken delivery of your M3s... did you guys wait and make your final payment through the Tesla app on your delivery day and after you did a walk-around inspection of your cars or did you make your payments prior to your delivery day? I have the Tesla Plaid payment app all set up and linked to my bank account but don't want any surprises of the payment not working for whatever reason on delivery day. However, I also don't want to make the payment too soon before I have a chance to do my walk-around; after hearing how others have had build quality issues with their cars. Thoughts?

I finally received the notification to schedule my delivery of my M3 AWD | black interior and have it set for next Saturday morning, 4/20 @ 10:00a EST (they only offered for me to pick it up either Friday 4/19 or Saturday 4/20).

Question for those who've already taken delivery of your M3s... did you guys wait and make your final payment through the Tesla app on your delivery day and after you did a walk-around inspection of your cars or did you make your payments prior to your delivery day? I have the Tesla Plaid payment app all set up and linked to my bank account but don't want any surprises of the payment not working for whatever reason on delivery day. However, I also don't want to make the payment too soon before I have a chance to do my walk-around; after hearing how others have had build quality issues with their cars. Thoughts?
I made all my payments before I arrived to the showroom. You have the opportunity to check out the car and walk around it before 'accepting' it on the app. Just dont open your app until you are done inspecting the car. From there, you can accept it in the app, and connect your phone as the key.

You are locked in at the price when you put your deposit down. We ordered a LR / Red / White int. before any of the 3 increases in price for the long range. Our original price was 48,990. After switching to black it went down to $47,990. They didn't charge the "new" price for the long range. I don't know what would happen if we switched back to white interior if it would be $1500 or if it would honor the white price at the time of order, but you won't have to pay more for a black interior if you switch.
I’ve been to my local Tesla site multiple times, and I’ve called Tesla corporate multiple times as well. Each and every single one of them has said if I switch to black interior it will update to the new pricing, and I will lose the pricing that I locked in by ordering on Jan 10th. Did you switch to black interior through the app or in person/over the phone?

I’ve been to my local Tesla site multiple times, and I’ve called Tesla corporate multiple times as well. Each and every single one of them has said if I switch to black interior it will update to the new pricing, and I will lose the pricing that I locked in by ordering on Jan 10th. Did you switch to black interior through the app or in person/over the phone?
I edited my order in the app / online and changed to the black interior two days ago. It honored the pricing at the time of the order.

I was told via text that they wouldn't ship my car (to OK) until payment had been made. I responded that I had intended to withhold payment until I inspected the car, and they replied that I accept or reject in the app as its own step.

We switched through the app.

I was told via text that they wouldn't ship my car (to OK) until payment had been made. I responded that I had intended to withhold payment until I inspected the car, and they replied that I accept or reject in the app as its own step.
yeah, isn't there some unique rule/law in OK that car has to be fully paid for before it get shipped into that state? Something about that state only has service centers and not showrooms, and the service centers can't actually sell the car, so it all must be online or something like that?

yeah, isn't there some unique rule/law in OK that car has to be fully paid for before it get shipped into that state? Something about that state only has service centers and not showrooms, and the service centers can't actually sell the car, so it all must be online or something like that?
Very likely. The implication was that it was because of where the car was going, but I wasn't sure how universal that was or wasn't.

Very likely. The implication was that it was because of where the car was going, but I wasn't sure how universal that was or wasn't.

Oklahoma is one of the states Tesla cant sell cars to. They get around this by selling you the car in California, and then delivering it to you in OK. This means, however, you wont be rejecting a car you dont like, because in practical terms, you own the car once it leaves CA.

This is why you have to pay for it in advance. This is different than people in states where Tesla is allowed to sell.

Unless something has changed for people in these states where tesla cant sell regarding "accept / reject", you should expect that you own the car when it shows up in your driveway.

I dont work for Tesla or anything though, I have just been here a while and remember how this goes for people in the few states that dont allow Manufacturer direct car sales.

The only payment i made prior to inspecting the car on delivery day was the $250 order fee. Used Plaid via the Tesla app to put the down-payment once I checked the car.

No real issues with build quality. Check alignment of hood. Mines going in for the second time for the hood issue. First it was a little lower on one side - now it is a little to the right.

EDIT: replied without viewing responses regarding state laws. I was informed I had up to 800 miles to mark anything as a concern upon delivery. Very likely this might be the normal time frame.

Reactions: ancpratt
Oklahoma is one of the states Tesla cant sell cars to. They get around this by selling you the car in California, and then delivering it to you in OK. This means, however, you wont be rejecting a car you dont like, because in practical terms, you own the car once it leaves CA.

This is why you have to pay for it in advance. This is different than people in states where Tesla is allowed to sell.

Unless something has changed for people in these states where tesla cant sell regarding "accept / reject", you should expect that you own the car when it shows up in your driveway.

I dont work for Tesla or anything though, I have just been here a while and remember how this goes for people in the few states that dont allow Manufacturer direct car sales.
Since I'm going to a service center to pick up the car, maybe it's different now? But the wording from the rep in the text was "You will be able to inspect the vehicle before accepting delivery in your app."

Not sure how that lines up with your experience. ./shrug

I switched from white int to black. I got adjusted pricing to the day I ordered, as if my original order was black int.