Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I know I will be in the minority here, but I'm second guessing my decision. I was seriously taken aback on the cost of insuring the compared to my current vehicles. Was planning on leasing for 3 years, but my monthly insurance cost (thanks to a teenage driver and another pending). Even making him an "occasional driver" on Tesla's insurance...which is the cheapest I could find....my monthly cost is about $375, which is essentially equal (a little less) to the lease payment. If I remove my teenager, it's still $175 per month for my wife and I.

Was super excited and supposed to take delivery this afternoon, but this made me balk. I pushed delivery to tomorrow to think more about it.

With that, is it California, is it Tesla, or the combo? From what I can tell, Tesla's insurance is the cheapest, not necessarily the best. There are many companies not even offering to insure CA cars (or homes for that matter). Anything else I'm missing from an insurance standpoint?

In any case, there may be a happier Central CA Stealth Grey RW order/owner in a couple days if I back out.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Update, smaller delivery window today. No VIN yet.

Order Date: 1/22
Original EDD: Feb-Mar
Update #1: Mar-Apr
Update #2: 2/2: Mar 13 - Mar 31
Update #3: 2/10: Mar 21 - 31

Long Range, Blue Exterior, White Interior, EAP, 18” wheels. Taking delivery at the Oneida, NY delivery center.
3rd update for me too!
Order Date: 1/24, LR/Grey/Black/ Photon
Original EDD: Feb-Mar
Update #1: Mar-Apr
Update #2: Mar 15 - Mar 31
Update #3: Mar 21 - 31

Well, I know I will be in the minority here, but I'm second guessing my decision. I was seriously taken aback on the cost of insuring the compared to my current vehicles. Was planning on leasing for 3 years, but my monthly insurance cost (thanks to a teenage driver and another pending). Even making him an "occasional driver" on Tesla's insurance...which is the cheapest I could find....my monthly cost is about $375, which is essentially equal (a little less) to the lease payment. If I remove my teenager, it's still $175 per month for my wife and I.

Was super excited and supposed to take delivery this afternoon, but this made me balk. I pushed delivery to tomorrow to think more about it.

With that, is it California, is it Tesla, or the combo? From what I can tell, Tesla's insurance is the cheapest, not necessarily the best. There are many companies not even offering to insure CA cars (or homes for that matter). Anything else I'm missing from an insurance standpoint?

In any case, there may be a happier Central CA Stealth Grey RW order/owner in a couple days if I back out.
A child on insurance will definitely kick that up a notch.
If you are willing to play around with the deductible or other specifics you may be able to lower the cost some. The rate for my wife's Y is about $115/month. However, we are in a different state, no kids and may have different coverages.
I am surprised having your kid listed more than doubles the insurance. Have you tried other insurance companies?

A child on insurance will definitely kick that up a notch.
If you are willing to play around with the deductible or other specifics you may be able to lower the cost some. The rate for my wife's Y is about $115/month. However, we are in a different state, no kids and may have different coverages.
I am surprised having your kid listed more than doubles the insurance. Have you tried other insurance companies?
Yeah, I'm already getting burned with the kids and know the hit there. But for me, this was a huge jump. I tried many companies. I played with the deductibles and coverages and such......I have Geico now, Tesla insurance was cheaper- by about $100 a month. But I looked at Progressive, etc and all of them were that expensive. As I mentioned, I was unpleasantly surprised. CA and kids and Tesla...maybe not a good combo. ;)

Did you have to edit the configuration on your new order? I'm wondering if the new order has to be configured with FSD or just basic Autopilot or they'll just sort it out. If new order is configured with FSD, I assume they'll subtract the $12K from the purchase price to reflect the transfer?
No I did not have FSD configured on my order when I requested the FSD transfer. Not sure what they’ll do if you already added it.

Just got my vin like 5 min ago! Live in Mississippi

Ordered 1/10, RWD, Black/Black, Photon Wheels

EDD was 2/20 - 3/19 for like 2 weeks
Now it’s 2/28 - 3/5
I now have a pickup date of March 2, 2024. Tesla chose the date for me without giving me an option. Bad thing is my trade in offer expires March 1. Do yall think they can extend it by one day? I plan to call them on Monday to find out for sure.

I've found the same. Seems like Tesla has higher insurance than other relative cars here in Toronto.

I now have a pickup date of March 2, 2024. Tesla chose the date for me without giving me an option. Bad thing is my trade in offer expires March 1. Do yall think they can extend it by one day? I plan to call them on Monday to find out for sure.
They gave you a pickup date so far in advanced... never seen that before