Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 1/28 - RWD - Grey - Black - 18"

EDD Feb 24th-March 9th, looks like last day before I hit my first EDD, looks like I'm one of the only ones who ordered this set up without a VIN, hoping it's because I'm in Boston Area and it has little further to come...

I just sold my i4 e40 to come back to Tesla, if that tells you something. Generally the "premiumness" of the BMW wore off after a few weeks. Other than being a very efficient electric drivetrain (averaged about 4mi/kWh) it was kind of annoying to drive. Pedal calibration and stopping was not smooth, the iDrive 8 OS was just "ok", and the car felt unnecessarily big for the lack of interior space and storage. Also the car felt very slow and heavy.

My i4 had these options:
* vernsaca leather upgrade (seats are hard compared to Tesla)
* HUD (my eyes basically forgot this existed after a while)
* driver assistance professional (as good as radar equipped Tesla autopilot)
* harmon kardon (worse than long range Tesla sound system)

I can tell from this thread and some posts on Reddit that many people have not "custom" ordered a car before. After my experience of factory ordering a BMW and a Mazda, the wait times and lack of updates is "normal". Not saying its acceptable, but that its just a different but expected difference between buying a car off the lot of a dealership. I will say that it's nice that the BMW portal shows build and shipping milestones in a timeline, BUT sometimes the timeline went backwards.
I will say on the ordering front, we had very similar experience. We purchased the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid brand new in 2004. We recieved the 2nd one ever delivered to our dealer (they were allocated one a month at the time. We ended up putting 330K miles on it), we replaced that with a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. We were one of the first 3 delivered to CT (all on the same truck). I think we waited about 3 months on the escape and maybe 6 months on the Chrysler. Both had very long wait times, with NO estimates on delivery. No apps, no estimates when ordering. We just got a call from the dealer one day that said it was on a truck on its way. So as much as it sucks to wait... and believe me, I can barely focus on things from excitement. Ordering a car, especially one that the factory isn't even fully switched over yet (assuming with all these delays, they may still be retooling some of the lines) can be a bit of a wait.

I will say on the ordering front, we had very similar experience. We purchased the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid brand new in 2004. We recieved the 2nd one ever delivered to our dealer (they were allocated one a month at the time. We ended up putting 330K miles on it), we replaced that with a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. We were one of the first 3 delivered to CT (all on the same truck). I think we waited about 3 months on the escape and maybe 6 months on the Chrysler. Both had very long wait times, with NO estimates on delivery. No apps, no estimates when ordering. We just got a call from the dealer one day that said it was on a truck on its way. So as much as it sucks to wait... and believe me, I can barely focus on things from excitement. Ordering a car, especially one that the factory isn't even fully switched over yet (assuming with all these delays, they may still be retooling some of the lines) can be a bit of a wait.
your experience is basically what happened with my factory order Mazda Miata haha. I ordered it and didn't get a notice it was ready until 6 months later when it arrived on the boat from Japan. One of my friends had a factory order Porsche and that took about 1 year from order to build, not including waiting for a dealer allocation to get the build spot. So some perspective for other with a high volume cheap brand (Mazda) and a luxury high end (Porsche). I think waiting for a custom order car to show up by the end of every quarter is acceptable to me :)

your experience is basically what happened with my factory order Mazda Miata haha. I ordered it and didn't get a notice it was ready until 6 months later when it arrived on the boat from Japan. One of my friends had a factory order Porsche and that took about 1 year from order to build, not including waiting for a dealer allocation to get the build spot. So some perspective for other with a high volume cheap brand (Mazda) and a luxury high end (Porsche). I think waiting for a custom order car to show up by the end of every quarter is acceptable to me :)
My first Tesla (2020 LR) took almost 4 months to arrive. So if I get mine in 2 1/2 months (1/13 order-3/31 EDD) this time, that's a win.

Ey! Bringing experience as a factor. Loved how you put this situation into perspective. Way I see it is by the end of this year, we’ll forget all about how long we stared at the Tesla app waiting. I’m just happy to live in a country where this is a thing we can use.

Reactions: happyelegance
Ey! Bringing experience as a factor. Loved how you put this situation into perspective. Way I see it is by the end of this year, we’ll forget all about how long we stared at the Tesla app waiting. I’m just happy to live in a country where this is a thing we can use.
Exactly.. At this point, I know we picked up the Escape in March. The Chrysler in April, I believe we ordered the Chrylser in Novemember, its 7 years old with 150K on it and we are extremely happy with it. I honestly dont remember the wait to much at this point, but I know we waited.

I appreciate the perspective given on custom orders from the last few people posting about it. Thank you guys 👍

Can’t say for certain as I’m still waiting on my 2024… but the reverse was true.
Just to close this loop, and for anyone coming from an earlier Model 3... The 2023 all weather mats I ordered form Lasfit fit perfectly in the 2024, front and rear. Not sure about frunk/trunk. I think all these third party vendors (and Tesla) say they won't fit is because they want you to buy new ones.

Well, bad news sports fans. 48 hours from my delivery appointment, the assigned VIN disappeared from my app. Messaged the service center and they told me there was an "error" with my vehicle. Nothing more specific than that, I'm waiting to see if they'll clarify. Now it's looking like what was supposed to be a 24 February delivery date is going to be mid to late March some time. Pretty bummed out.

I KNEW manifesting my destiny about getting any sort of feedback from Tesla would work through joining this forum. Being a delusional hippie has its perks. Here’s hoping this gets delivered.
IMG_6913.jpeg

Well, bad news sports fans. 48 hours from my delivery appointment, the assigned VIN disappeared from my app. Messaged the service center and they told me there was an "error" with my vehicle. Nothing more specific than that, I'm waiting to see if they'll clarify. Now it's looking like what was supposed to be a 24 February delivery date is going to be mid to late March some time. Pretty bummed out.
Keep your head up! The wait is only going to make seeing it in the parking lot with your name in it all the more amazing.