Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, bad news sports fans. 48 hours from my delivery appointment, the assigned VIN disappeared from my app. Messaged the service center and they told me there was an "error" with my vehicle. Nothing more specific than that, I'm waiting to see if they'll clarify. Now it's looking like what was supposed to be a 24 February delivery date is going to be mid to late March some time. Pretty bummed out.
That is unfortunate. Wondering what was the error, probably something that really need to be taken care. RWD right?

I’m sure it has a lot to do with my options and my location. It’s as basic and cheap as you can get for this car.
Yeah I got the base config too. I like the look of the stealth gray and prefer black interior I think. White is really bright. I like stealth :). But I'm also in the DMV area so I'm hoping you getting a date in early March means good news for me too!

Also, you didn't ask, but I have done long trips with the SR+ with "250" mile range, which is more like 220 mi at 100% SoC. And honestly that's already good enough for me. I would need to stop just as often in a gas car to use the bathroom and eat. So I imagine with the extra range of the refresh, I will have even more of a buffer in case I want to take it on a road trip.

Reactions: HomelessGrunt
Order Placed: 01/12/24

The EDD for Florida is expected to be around 3/18 (white interior, RWD). So deliveries to states closer to CA may be sooner, especially for orders with black interior.

IMG_2664.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: catxi
Yeah I got the base config too. I like the look of the stealth gray and prefer black interior I think. White is really bright. I like stealth :). But I'm also in the DMV area so I'm hoping you getting a date in early March means good news for me too!

Also, you didn't ask, but I have done long trips with the SR+ with "250" mile range, which is more like 220 mi at 100% SoC. And honestly that's already good enough for me. I would need to stop just as often in a gas car to use the bathroom and eat. So I imagine with the extra range of the refresh, I will have even more of a buffer in case I want to take it on a road trip.
It definitely spells good news for us, they have our area on the list for deliveries. I’ve done countless trips too. I feel like stopping as often isn’t a bad thing. With how crazy roads can be, taking it smooth means you’re making it to your destination alive.

Reactions: DingoStar
I just sold my i4 e40 to come back to Tesla, if that tells you something. Generally the "premiumness" of the BMW wore off after a few weeks. Other than being a very efficient electric drivetrain (averaged about 4mi/kWh) it was kind of annoying to drive. Pedal calibration and stopping was not smooth, the iDrive 8 OS was just "ok", and the car felt unnecessarily big for the lack of interior space and storage. Also the car felt very slow and heavy.

My i4 had these options:
* vernsaca leather upgrade (seats are hard compared to Tesla)
* HUD (my eyes basically forgot this existed after a while)
* driver assistance professional (as good as radar equipped Tesla autopilot)
* harmon kardon (worse than long range Tesla sound system)

I can tell from this thread and some posts on Reddit that many people have not "custom" ordered a car before. After my experience of factory ordering a BMW and a Mazda, the wait times and lack of updates is "normal". Not saying its acceptable, but that its just a different but expected difference between buying a car off the lot of a dealership. I will say that it's nice that the BMW portal shows build and shipping milestones in a timeline, BUT sometimes the timeline went backwards.
I do understand that there are far worse wait times for other cars and other manufacturers than we’ll experience for the model 3. The difference is the model 3 isn’t in the same category as a custom order Porsche or even a semi standard BMW. To call any Tesla “custom” is a bit of a misnomer to me. The model 3 has very few configurations (literally 5 colors, two interior colors, and 2 wheels for two trim levels) compared to BMW or Porsche or other manufacturers with 15 or more colors and 10 or more interiors on many different trims. Mad props to everyone who can remain positive, but I for one cannot believe it’s this difficult. These aren’t the first refreshed model 3s they’ve produced. They’ve been producing them in china for months now. How can china figure out white leather but California can’t?

I do understand that there are far worse wait times for other cars and other manufacturers than we’ll experience for the model 3. The difference is the model 3 isn’t in the same category as a custom order Porsche or even a semi standard BMW. To call any Tesla “custom” is a bit of a misnomer to me. The model 3 has very few configurations (literally 5 colors, two interior colors, and 2 wheels for two trim levels) compared to BMW or Porsche or other manufacturers with 15 or more colors and 10 or more interiors on many different trims. Mad props to everyone who can remain positive, but I for one cannot believe it’s this difficult. These aren’t the first refreshed model 3s they’ve produced. They’ve been producing them in china for months now. How can china figure out white leather but California can’t?
I don't disagree with you, but I also have the datapoint of my Mazda Miata Club trim that only has options of transmission and color which took 6 months. I also occasionally browse the Toyota RAV4 forums (for the RAV4 prime) and they have 6month - 1 year wait lists.

Tesla should really copy the BMW build tracker system. Im sure they already have the data somewhere being collected, just expose it to the customers so we are not kept in the dark. You can see how the BMW process is tracked here, its very grainular, Bimmerfest guide to tracking your BMW from factory to...

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are dealing with a chicken and egg thing.... If Tesla waited until production ramped up so they could delivery quickly, they would have lots full of cars while they waited. Everyone would see these lots full of highlands at the factories and complain that they werent shipping them. If they collect orders before they can produce, then we have the wait times we see now while the factory lines retool and production trickles out (which is what happened). They could have stopped the 2023 production (or slowed it down greatly to retool) a lot earlier, but then the ones they did produce would have sat around until they were ready to open orders (situation #1). There was no win in this situation. So we are where we are waiting for the assembly lines to reach full speed.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we are dealing with a chicken and egg thing.... If Tesla waited until production ramped up so they could delivery quickly, they would have lots full of cars while they waited. Everyone would see these lots full of highlands at the factories and complain that they werent shipping them. If they collect orders before they can produce, then we have the wait times we see now while the factory lines retool and production trickles out (which is what happened). They could have stopped the 2023 production (or slowed it down greatly to retool) a lot earlier, but then the ones they did produce would have sat around until they were ready to open orders (situation #1). There was no win in this situation. So we are where we are waiting for the assembly lines to reach full speed.
Maybe the focus to produce Model Y should be shifted to Model 3 in the very beginning. Now there are hundreds or even thousands of Model Y in stock waiting to be sold across the country.

Tax refunds season may trigger a big sale?

There might be another problem here and the reason why Tesla introduced Highland in the US 6 months after it was introduced in Europe and China. Perhaps something is off with long range batteries & part supplies in the US, Fremont factory, etc. I had two Teslas before and I always got them within 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: catxi and chsilva