Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Keyfob updated on Tesla shop to include passive entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow - sorry about that.. I ordered mine on Wednesday evening and I got it on Friday. I can't remember the exact city it shipped from, but it's only a couple hours from me.....

Where would you suggest I look for disabling passive entry - the screen where I paired the fob ?
I thought it would be under safety and security (where pin to drive is). Maybe they just haven't implemented it yet.

This might be a silly question, but if someone were to "find" my key fob, would they easily be able to just reprogram it to use for their car?

Since the Model 3 key fobs can be paired with multiple Model 3 cars, I would think the answer would be "yes"..

From the Model 3 Owners Manual, Version May 16, 2019:

Note: You can use the same key fob with multiple Model 3 vehicles provided you authenticate it (see Managing Keys on page 10). However, key fob works with only one Model 3 at a time. Therefore, to use a key fob for a different Model 3, touch its flat side against the card reader on the driver's side door pillar.

• Informative
Reactions: chronopc
I also just got mine today and it works great as in the sales description.

In theory, a fob should work without a battery by physically pressing the fob next to the RFID reader but I couldn't get it to work without battery for my 2012 Model S in the past, current 2017 Model X, and also for the latest Model 3 fob.

So, it might be a good idea to carry a secondary key like card or phone or extra battery if its battery is dead at the least expected times (the battery should last for 5 years).

In theory, a fob should work without a battery by physically pressing the fob next to the RFID reader but I couldn't get it to work without battery for my 2012 Model S in the past, current 2017 Model X, and also for the latest Model 3 fob.

Interesting... From reading the owner's manual, it sounds like the fob would allow access with a dead battery. I'm probably interpreting this statement wrong ? I'll see if I can find a dead CR2032 and give it a try.

From the Model 3 Owners Manual, Version May 16, 2019:

"If the key fob does not work (for example, its battery is dead), you can touch it's flat side against the card reader on the driver's side door pillar (like the key card). Instructions for changing the battery are provided below."

I just realized it does not actually say what happens when you touch the flat side of a non-working fob against the card reader ......

Just got mine, and couldn't help but notice that in this age of USB cables and frunk mats no longer being included with the car, they ship these keyfobs with two batteries (only one being needed) that last five years each? :rolleyes:

$150 and you need to find a piece of string for the lanyard
IMG_0121.jpeg IMG_0122.jpeg IMG_0123.jpeg IMG_0125.jpeg