Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest try it yourself for a month for $200 and then decide if it’s worth paying $12k
I was about to suggest this as well. Assuming the monthly price remains the same, you'd need to own the car for 5 years before you'd break even (not even considering what you could do with the 12K in that time period). Plus, the FSD stays with the car if you sell it and it may not help your residual much at that point (or if the car gets totalled or something). I don't really see why anyone wouldn't just go the monthly subscription route.

Reactions: disneygirl420
I was about to suggest this as well. Assuming the monthly price remains the same, you'd need to own the car for 5 years before you'd break even (not even considering what you could do with the 12K in that time period). Plus, the FSD stays with the car if you sell it and it may not help your residual much at that point (or if the car gets totalled or something). I don't really see why anyone wouldn't just go the monthly subscription route.
Holy cow. I had no idea you can go monthly rather than paying $10K (in my case) for the feature. Is there no difference in what you get if you pay monthly versus upfront???

If I am paying cash for my Model 3, do I need to make the cash payment before I get an EDD and VIN assigned to me?

No. Normally you get the VIN and delivery date first, then pay before picking up. You may also be able to persuade them to let you pay by cashier's check when you pick up. YMMV.

The Tesla app says "Pay remaining balance now to avoid delays in delivery."

That's interesting. I'm also paying cash and my app does not say that. Just to be safe I'd send your SA a message (by replying to the original text you got when you ordered) and ask what that message means. It would suck to ignore it and then find out later that your order isn't even in line yet because of some mistake!

Reactions: Paul4343 and KN0607
Holy cow. I had no idea you can go monthly rather than paying $10K (in my case) for the feature. Is there no difference in what you get if you pay monthly versus upfront???
Pay upfront just locks you into the price with hope of getting fsd in future. With subscription you get the flexibility to cancel anytime. I don’t think there is difference in features, they could raise subscription price anytime.

What is everybody doing about the insurance info. Do you get insurance and pay for it on a car you don't own yet. All my other cars I had my agent get me the paperwork the day I picked it up.im about 3 weeks till supposed delivery and next step is insurance info.

If you currently own another car with insurance then showing Tesla the insurance for that car is all you need. Just when you pick up remember to call your insurance company and have them add the new car to that policy. If you don't currently have a car with insurance read on...

I sold my previous two cars in December. What I did in the meantime while I wait for my new cars is switch to a cheap "non-owner" car insurance policy. This gives me something to show Tesla when I pick up and then I'll switch to a regular car owner insurance policy as soon as I get the car. In my case switching to a non-owner policy made sense for a couple of other reasons. First, having a gap in your insurance coverage is bad for future rates even if you don't own a car during that time! Second, I rent cars occasionally and I want extra protection in case my credit card doesn't cover a possible incident.

You obviously don't need a current car or VIN for a non-owner policy so maybe it would work for you too!

If you currently own another car with insurance then showing Tesla the insurance for that car is all you need. Just when you pick up remember to call your insurance company and have them add the new car to that policy. If you don't currently have a car with insurance read on...

I sold my previous two cars in December. What I did in the meantime while I wait for my new cars is switch to a cheap "non-owner" car insurance policy. This gives me something to show Tesla when I pick up and then I'll switch to a regular car owner insurance policy as soon as I get the car. In my case switching to a non-owner policy made sense for a couple of other reasons. First, having a gap in your insurance coverage is bad for future rates even if you don't own a car during that time! Second, I rent cars occasionally and I want extra protection in case my credit card doesn't cover a possible incident.

You obviously don't need a current car or VIN for a non-owner policy so maybe it would work for you too!
How to get a non-owner car insurance? I am also in the same boat as you.

What is everybody doing about the insurance info. Do you get insurance and pay for it on a car you don't own yet. All my other cars I had my agent get me the paperwork the day I picked it up.im about 3 weeks till supposed delivery and next step is insurance info.
I set up a future swap on my current policy, and got proof of insurance in advance that was effective on my scheduled delivery day.

How to get a non-owner car insurance? I am also in the same boat as you.

You might want to check your with your current carrier. I have no idea if what @CarlThompson said applies to people with different carriers, or in different states.

In CA ( for example) Our current insurance policies cover us on a new car for "some days", and how many days depends on the carrier. I was recently told by @whiskeylover that where they are has different insurance requirements.

TL ; DR check with your insurance carrier / find out what coverage you need before pickup in your state.

Reactions: ds335
You might want to check your with your current carrier. I have no idea if what @CarlThompson said applies to people with different carriers, or in different states.

In CA ( for example) Our current insurance policies cover us on a new car for "some days", and how many days depends on the carrier. I was recently told by @whiskeylover that where they are has different insurance requirements.

TL ; DR check with your insurance carrier / find out what coverage you need before pickup in your state.
That is correct. In Mass, you need to add your new car prior to taking delivery (using the VIN).

Reactions: Crany
No. Normally you get the VIN and delivery date first, then pay before picking up. You may also be able to persuade them to let you pay by cashier's check when you pick up. YMMV.

That's interesting. I'm also paying cash and my app does not say that. Just to be safe I'd send your SA a message (by replying to the original text you got when you ordered) and ask what that message means. It would suck to ignore it and then find out later that your order isn't even in line yet because of some mistake!
An SA sends you a text after you order? Not in my case. I guess I should call.

It depends on the state. Don't know if the below is still accurate, but I think outside of these 12 states you need to have the VIN of your Tesla on your insurance to take delivery:

If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the VIN.
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington