Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy LR folks. I’ve been playing the RWD waiting game for some time. Since I ordered I’ve saved up some more cash and my spouse and I are considering switching configurations to LR - just seems like a great value upon reflection. Has anyone here done this? If so could you share your experience? Did it delay you or cause any problems? Thanks.
I switched from RWD to LR on 5/12 (whole timeline is on my sig) with an OD of 4/30. Just today my EDD got dragged closer to today from Oct-Dec to Jun-Jul. Hertz pretty much clogged every RWD order to the point that the wait is not worth it (for me). Based on your OD, you have a good chance that upon changing you’ll get a VIN and delivery schedule right away, since it seems they prioritize orders by OD. I also upgraded the wheels to 19”, which can also make another difference in EDD, since it’s an upgrade.

Reactions: Scooter_in_Sac
Is this what your talking about? My friend got his M3 in February and added sound insulation.
Yeah pretty much the same, and if that is they way they all come then weird but great as that was the final thing i needed to figure out with the car! I will add an edit to my post to confirm it is no longer an issue ;-). Must make it REALLY easy if they are doing charge port fixes, as all the wiring is exposed and right there. . .

(Edit: went back to adjust my post, and apparently you can only edit a post for a little while, as it wont allow me to do any additional edits on my post from yesterday. So this is my official notice that i rescind my one negative comment in my earlier posted experience with car pick up, move to object/strike that part from the record ALA Johnny Depps attorney- - - everything was great!! ;-) )

Last edited:
Graduated yesterday after 99 days since ODD!
Very smooth and I was in and out within 15 minutes. Appt was at 4 & I arrived at just after 3. They were happy to take me early. Very happy with build quality & no issues.. included matrix lights which I wasn’t sure would since my vin (247xxx) was on the cusp.
Thanks everyone & I’ll see ya out there on the road!

I switched from RWD to LR on 5/12 (whole timeline is on my sig) with an OD of 4/30. Just today my EDD got dragged closer to today from Oct-Dec to Jun-Jul. Hertz pretty much clogged every RWD order to the point that the wait is not worth it (for me). Based on your OD, you have a good chance that upon changing you’ll get a VIN and delivery schedule right away, since it seems they prioritize orders by OD. I also upgraded the wheels to 19”, which can also make another difference in EDD, since it’s an upgrade.
Wow that’s crazy to think about - a VIN so soon! I didn’t realize you kept your OD. They’re in to March LR orders in California now. Sheeesh. If we decide to do it, we might be loan shopping soon 😰

Last edited:
Oh and one other thing… I bought the all weather floor mats from Tesla which fit like a glove except for the Frunk floor mat. The one they sent is too big. In hindsight knowing the frunk is a plastic liner maybe I wouldn’t have bought it for the frunk. Just an observation..

Wow that’s crazy to think about - a VIN so soon! I didn’t realize you kept your OD. They’re in to March LR orders in California now. Sheeesh. If we decide to do it, we might be moan shopping soon 😰
Haha. I already have some stuff here for my Tesla, including a reversible octopus (yeah, silly thing, I know) who likes watching the traffic in front of me, Little Trees when the new car smell goes away, and a cup phone holder from WeatherTech. I have some floor mats as well but they’re not great anymore and it won’t match the interior color. Might buy WeatherTech floor mats.

I also have a dashcam on my Camry, but that won’t be needed since all Teslas have multiple cameras. So I’ll just gift that to my father who’s still holding on to his ‘04 Highlander.

Guess who woke up to a VIN! See below for my timelines:

OD: March 7, 2022, with pick up at Savannah, GA
M3LR | MSM | 18" | No FSD

Initial EDD: May 2022
EDD change on 3/8: June 1 - July 15
Modified pickup location to Atlanta, GA on 3/15
2nd EDD change on 3/15: May 17 - June 28
3rd EDD change on 3/22: May 18 - June 22
4th EDD change on 4/30: May 26 - June 23
5th EDD change on 5/9: June 3 - June 17
6th EDD change on 5/13: June 1 - June 15
7th EDD change on 5/22: June 7 - June 11 ... VIN 260XXX issued.

I’m still stinging from my dates shifting in the wrong direction. What have I done wrong to annoy the Tesla gods? Maybe this week I will redeem myself and have dates that are more in my favor.
Your dates jumped back to your original EDD 1, which has been the most accurate for most people all along based on my observations from watching this forum since mid March.

I ordered online and dont remember selecting a pickup location. OD 4/18, with EDD showing 8/3-9/14 for long time.

Does pickup location or home delivery get decided later?
We've been seeing a lot of odd changes with that. By that I mean we've had people that Tesla switched their pick up location and even a few that chose a location and then Tesla delivered to their home.

I can’t believe I am down to 5 more days! Insurance issue is cleared up, I just kept calling until I got a rep that knew what he was doing(Seriously, does any company do any training anymore?). As long as the car arrives on Wednesday as scheduled then I’ll be set for Friday. I gotta say, My original EDD was 5/12 to 6/9, the mid point of that is 5/26, and I am getting delivery on 5/27. Wow, that was basically right on for me.

Wow, a lot of deliveries and VIN's this weekend. Glad to see the movement!
Day 89. Tomorrow begins my second two-week EDD. I'm guessing nothing will happen until the second day of the EDD, at which point I'll get another two-week window. My prediction: On 05/24 I'll wake to a new EDD of 05/30 - 06/13.

A man buys a dozen bees. When he opens the box, he notices 13 bees. He says to the beekeeper that he only bought 12 bees and that there are 13 in the box. The beekeeper says, "Oh, that 13th bee? That's a freebee."

Oh and one other thing… I bought the all weather floor mats from Tesla which fit like a glove except for the Frunk floor mat. The one they sent is too big. In hindsight knowing the frunk is a plastic liner maybe I wouldn’t have bought it for the frunk. Just an observation..
Somebody posted that the 2022 frunk is a bit smaller than prior years. This has happened before when Tesla was making room for changes to the internals of the vehicle.
A man buys a dozen bees. When he opens the box, he notices 13 bees. He says to the beekeeper that he only bought 12 bees and that there are 13 in the box. The beekeeper says, "Oh, that 12th bee? That's a freebee."
And the reason for Tesla delaying your order comes clear.