Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah if Highland/refresh were a 1yr+ away and the battery in the May relaunched version was the same as it was when I ordered in January, I wouldn't have any hesitation or doubt...but as you put it, we are now in an information void, which is very frustrating. Bottom line is I expected what I ordered OR a refresh, something in between never entered the decision making process until a few months ago. Ugh.

Expect what you ordered and not the latter.

Well it's already not what I originally ordered due to the battery change, which may or may not be a big difference depending on the chemistry/if can be regularly charged to 100% (LFP)
The VIN hidden in the source code suggests my Tesla M3 LR ordered is not an LFP. I think it’s the MIC battery that equips the UK/Europe Tesla, 75 kWh capacity.

For exemple : UK Tesla WLTP range : 374 miles (/1.121) = 333 miles EPA.
It's true, Canada here, so MIC Tesla for me.

Last edited:
It may not be that unusual in the car industry generally. A car may have parts from different suppliers or slightly different design variations, and it may be luck of the draw which one the car gets. In most cases, the difference is not obvious to the user, unless a recall or warranty issue affects only those parts from a specific supplier or of a specific design variation, or there is some other way that the change is revealed (e.g. "IIHS crash test applies only to cars built after ____").

People who post on car forums may notice such differences more than most people. Would most Model 3 buyers notice whether their car has
  • Premium or Global headlamps
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4 or Hankook Kinergy GT tires
  • different shaped frunk from pre-heat-pump cars
  • lack of radar
?
That's a fair point, tbh. I remember seeing "2018.5" Nissan Rogues on the lots sometimes, because there had been a few midyear tweaks. Tire changes happen all the time too.

You are probably right that most only get noticed by the type of people that post on the car's forums.

That's a fair point, tbh. I remember seeing "2018.5" Nissan Rogues on the lots sometimes, because there had been a few midyear tweaks. Tire changes happen all the time too.

You are probably right that most only get noticed by the type of people that post on the car's forums.
Yeah this sort of thing definitely happens in the legacy world too, but I think the big difference tends to be that for more substantial features, there's usually a pretty strict build date cutoff, even if it is not strictly at the time of a model year switch. With Tesla, it tends to be a rolling change and there's often a transition period where some people get the old stuff and some get the new stuff despite both cars being built at the same time. And in some cases, they even go back to using the old stuff temporarily

Yes, not sure where exactly. Another person in Arizona said they're taking delivery tomorrow. Looking forward to some concrete info soon.
Yes, not sure where exactly. Another person in Arizona said they're taking delivery tomorrow. Looking forward to some concrete info soon.

I took delivery of the Model 3 Long Range today. The car is in excellent condition with no panel gap issues. It's not a LFP battery. The charging screen shows only charge beyond 90% for trips. Currently, the battery is at 68% with an estimated range of 240. If you divide 240 by 0.68, that should be an estimated range of 353. I recognize this approach is not perfect.

This range seems to be similar to the prior version. The service advisor (when I called in) indicated this was a LG (non LFP) battery. He also said the car does not have HW4 and my build date was 5/25/2023. I'm not sure how to independently verify its not HW3 (just let me know if you have ideas).

I took delivery of the Model 3 Long Range today. The car is in excellent condition with no panel gap issues. It's not a LFP battery. The charging screen shows only charge beyond 90% for trips. Currently, the battery is at 68% with an estimated range of 240. If you divide 240 by 0.68, that should be an estimated range of 353. I recognize this approach is not perfect.

This range seems to be similar to the prior version. The service advisor (when I called in) indicated this was a LG (non LFP) battery. He also said the car does not have HW4 and my build date was 5/25/2023. I'm not sure how to independently verify its not HW3 (just let me know if you have ideas).

I believe the side camera is more consistent with HW3. There is a comparison photo on a forum that shows the differences.

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    293.4 KB · Views: 58

Thanks so much for sharing with us. It's looking like this is indeed one of the in between models. Elon is expected to formally announce the refresh at the Shanghai factory very soon. Just read an article that stated the first prototypes just came off the line. If I prefer the new body style, I might have to hold off, unless it's not imminent here in the US.

Yeah this sort of thing definitely happens in the legacy world too, but I think the big difference tends to be that for more substantial features, there's usually a pretty strict build date cutoff, even if it is not strictly at the time of a model year switch. With Tesla, it tends to be a rolling change and there's often a transition period where some people get the old stuff and some get the new stuff despite both cars being built at the same time. And in some cases, they even go back to using the old stuff temporarily
Other car companies have done unannounced midyear changes. Regulated items that require certification (e.g. powertrain changes which affect economy, ICEV emissions, and EV range) are more likely to be aligned with model year changes in order to reduce the cost of certifications, although even then there have been examples of midyear changes (the 2021 54kWh LFP battery is a recent Tesla example -- but the 60kWh LFP battery began exactly at the 2021-2022 model year change so that the 54kWh battery need not be certified for 2022 and the 60kWh battery need not be certified for 2021). For 2023, whatever battery is in the new production LR may be another exception that does require another certification, if it is different from the previously certified Model 3 batteries.

Thanks so much for sharing with us. It's looking like this is indeed one of the in between models. Elon is expected to formally announce the refresh at the Shanghai factory very soon. Just read an article that stated the first prototypes just came off the line. If I prefer the new body style, I might have to hold off, unless it's not imminent here in the US.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I went through the same exercise in my mind several times. Ultimately, I decided to move forward with this vehicle. I believe the current Model 3 LR is good value proposition considering the price reduction, features, and tax rebate. I won't be using FSD so HW4 would have been nice but not necessary. There is a chance a new version may come out with a price increase and no stalks. I'm introducing my wife to EV's and a new version with no stalks may be too much to digest! We're still tackling regenerative breaking, LOL. I went into this fully aware of the pro's and con's and have peace with the decision. Have a great day.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I went through the same exercise in my mind several times. Ultimately, I decided to move forward with this vehicle. I believe the current Model 3 LR is good value proposition considering the price reduction, features, and tax rebate. I won't be using FSD so HW4 would have been nice but not necessary. There is a chance a new version may come out with a price increase and no stalks. I'm introducing my wife to EV's and a new version with no stalks may be too much to digest! We're still tackling regenerative breaking, LOL. I went into this fully aware of the pro's and con's and have peace with the decision. Have a great day.
Totally understandable, and you make good points that will be carefully considered once my VIN is assigned. I might have the benefit of just a bit more information on the refreshed version to aid me. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you're happy with your choice. Congrats on the new car! I'm sure it's a blast to drive. 😎

Reactions: King David
I believe the side camera is more consistent with HW3. There is a comparison photo on a forum that shows the differences.
A picture of the windshield cameras should be pretty telling on which HW version you have. Congratulations on your Tesla by the way, hope you are enjoying it. I don’t know why I didn’t not get notified you replied to the thread. I had been looking for it all day. It just blows my mind that HW4 is in the Model Y but not this Model 3. I wonder if the stories of Model Y having HW4 were completely true, I’ve noticed they all seemed to stop and I haven’t seen any other people say they’ve seen it to verify the one person’s claim.

I ordered the car 24 hours ago. The date just changed from “June” to “May 31st-June 11th”. No VIN provided yet. My first time buying so I’m really not sure how it works? Isn’t the date a little too soon?

I think that it is clear that this particular iteration of the Model 3 is just a short term thing. It has been released to meet a demand - and the demand is there - pending more fundamental changes. I suspect that the it will quite short term.
Just saw some Tweets that are very interesting. Apparently HW4 in the Model Y do not have Radar, but the S and X do. They also made it sound like it could be some time till they do get Radar in the same thread. So it seems everything is up in the Air right now.

Model Y HW4 Tweet