Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of the Model 3 Long Range today. The car is in excellent condition with no panel gap issues. It's not a LFP battery. The charging screen shows only charge beyond 90% for trips. Currently, the battery is at 68% with an estimated range of 240. If you divide 240 by 0.68, that should be an estimated range of 353. I recognize this approach is not perfect.

This range seems to be similar to the prior version. The service advisor (when I called in) indicated this was a LG (non LFP) battery. He also said the car does not have HW4 and my build date was 5/25/2023. I'm not sure how to independently verify its not HW3 (just let me know if you have ideas).
Thank you for the news. I was expecting my Tesla be the same as the ones deployed in Europe, which are exactly as the one you received. It looks US gets the same one, build in US but the battery from Shanghai. Although some would say it’s not worth this version, I am still going forward and can’t wait for mine. I only hope they changed a bit the stiff suspension and made it a little better for a smoother ride. Can you tell me about the ride on bumpy roads ? And what about the cabin noise ?

Reactions: King David
Yesterday you said the math indicated when at 60% charge, that proportionately 100% charge might show 353 for range- have you reached 100% charge yet and if so what did it show?

Thx.

I charged to 70% yesterday. The math showed a range of 356 (if I fully charged). I had an electrician install the wall charger this week. I was happy to see the Tesla charging at 48 miles per hour at 48 amps.

Thank you for the news. I was expecting my Tesla be the same as the ones deployed in Europe, which are exactly as the one you received. It looks US gets the same one, build in US but the battery from Shanghai. Although some would say it’s not worth this version, I am still going forward and can’t wait for mine. I only hope they changed a bit the stiff suspension and made it a little better for a smoother ride. Can you tell me about the ride on bumpy roads ? And what about the cabin noise ?
I have not been on any bumpy roads yet. The ride so far has been comfortable. However, I may not be the best person to ask. I normally keep the suspension on the sport setting. Overall, the cabin has been quiet. I did experience some static noise isolated to the interior passenger side yesterday. If it shows up again, I will request service.

Reactions: voldar
Just saw some Tweets that are very interesting. Apparently HW4 in the Model Y do not have Radar, but the S and X do. They also made it sound like it could be some time till they do get Radar in the same thread. So it seems everything is up in the Air right now.

Model Y HW4 Tweet
Just an update.
Radar Story

It is hard to tell how long you’ll be waiting for true HW4 on the Model 3 or even the Y. Could be next month, could be next year. Waiting is a gamble with the price fluctuating so much too, could be lower or higher. Really wish there was more information on at least the when, if not the what. The fact there are people with actual HW4 vehicles who don’t know what they have really exemplifies how little is known right now.

I just noticed that the M3 order page now shows expected delivery times of June - July for all three trims. Didn't the RWD and P show a one month window for the past several months? Makes me wonder if there is indeed an upcoming production pause for a refresh/HW4/anything else they aren't going to tell us about in advance.

Reactions: King David
I just noticed that the M3 order page now shows expected delivery times of June - July for all three trims. Didn't the RWD and P show a one month window for the past several months? Makes me wonder if there is indeed an upcoming production pause for a refresh/HW4/anything else they aren't going to tell us about in advance.
I mean I can see them slowly transitioning to HW4 like they are with the Y. But it makes absolutely no sense to start up the LR production line for just a few weeks just to shut it down again. Unless they are using those who really wanted to get a LR as a way to clear out old inventory parts. Which to me would be a bad way to treat those who were dedicated to the LR. But at this point, it is all speculation.

I mean I can see them slowly transitioning to HW4 like they are with the Y. But it makes absolutely no sense to start up the LR production line for just a few weeks just to shut it down again. Unless they are using those who really wanted to get a LR as a way to clear out old inventory parts. Which to me would be a bad way to treat those who were dedicated to the LR. But at this point, it is all speculation.
Alternatively, maybe it is a way to use up LG batteries while the plant that usually uses them is shutdown for transition.

I do get the feeling that pending the release of the new version of the Model 3 they are temporarily fulfilling current North American demand by pulling together bits and pieces of various versions of the legacy model, as made 'wherever', and just shipping it. I am not suggesting that the cars currently being shipped are subject to poor quality as a result. Actually, I imagine that they are just fine, and I would not hesitate to buy one myself, if I needed one (which I don't). I am not put off by the slightly lower range, as it still more than the original range of my 2020 Model 3 LR which has been absolutely fine for us. Obviously, the current versions being shipped are not going to incorporate the changes of the planned new version, but they are still excellent vehicles. And keep in mind that we don't know yet exactly what we will get with the new version, when it comes out. It may not be to everyone's liking and some may actually prefer the current one.

No one knows for sure, but my guess is that Highland is further off than people think. When was the list time *anything* Tesla did was on time or early? I figure the demand for LR M3 was actually low enough (or profit margins low enough) that they prioritized all 2170 and 4680 cells for Model Y, with LFP for the SR M3. Now that demand has fallen off significantly, they have enough of the 2170s (this time from LG/China) to be able to "reintroduce" essentially the exact same LR M3 they had held off of to preserve batteries for Model Ys.

I don't think theres much to see here beyond that. This is back to BAU as a result of the demand curve flattening. I bet we won't see Highland until EOY.

Reactions: ucmndd
This just in--based on the language on Tesla's site, everyone is saying all M3s get the full federal tax credit now. Can that be a mistake?? What about the people who just took delivery of LRs that qualified only for half?

Edit: Elon just retweeted it, so I think it's legit...wow.

Last edited:
Appears you are right. Must mean they are now using locally sourced 2170 cells:

New Vehicles
Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla vehicle and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500.
Tax Credit for Each Vehicle Delivery Starting April 18, 2023:
  • Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive: $7,500
  • Model 3 Long Range: $7,500
  • Model 3 Performance: $7,500
  • Model Y All-Wheel Drive: $7,500
  • Model Y Long Range: $7,500
  • Model Y Performance: $7,500

This just in--based on the language on Tesla's site, everyone is saying all M3s get the full federal tax credit now. Can that be a mistake?? What about the people who just took delivery of LRs that qualified only for half?
The Tesla sites says deliveries since 4/18/2023 get the full credit...

1685738062540.png