Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents are test driving various trims of 3s and Ys right now, and the sales associate told them they can still order a 3 LR in-store. They basically order a SR+ and "add" the dual motor/LR trim. I know that's how the sticker shows as far as options anyways, so this could be a workaround.

Reactions: MacO512
My parents are test driving various trims of 3s and Ys right now, and the sales associate told them they can still order a 3 LR in-store. They basically order a SR+ and "add" the dual motor/LR trim. I know that's how the sticker shows as far as options anyways, so this could be a workaround.
Are they sure the battery capacity increases?

Are they sure the battery capacity increases?
Of course it does. A car is either long range or not.

They are clearly still making LRs and there’s no waiting list to speak of. There are over a dozen available in inventory near me right now.

As far as I can tell the only reason for not making them orderable on the main page is to force the uninformed to higher margin cars (RWD or performance).

They are clearly still making LRs and there’s no waiting list to speak of. There are over a dozen available in inventory near me right now.

As far as I can tell the only reason for not making them orderable on the main page is to force the uninformed to higher margin cars (RWD or performance).
I just checked inventory for my own area for the first time in a while and...dang...you are correct! A good number of Model 3 LRs are available. They are such great cars I almost feel like buying one, though I don't need another vehicle right at the moment. :p

Last edited:

Thanks. We lease our cars for tax purposes, usually from the manufacturer, and I have been unable to find one I can lease. I will look a little harder.

Just hopped on a Red LR this morning. Black interior, cold weather with the standard Aero’s.

Will be our first EV. I’m pretty stoked. Had seen 4 LR’s in our local Inventory last week but they went fast. Kind of wanted Grey but Red should be fine.

Excited for the range and should be pleasantly surprised/happy with the speed. Just praying for one that’s well built off the line.

Pick up is in a week or so…see how she does on mileage with the cold weather here in the Midwest.

Cool - good to know they’re still making them. I’ve been driving our #2 car a lot lately and have realized our MY has ruined my tolerance for driving ICE. Got my finger on the trigger for replacing it with an M3 (can’t see waiting maybe forever for the “M2”) ………… gonna keep my eye on inventory now. Not sure I have the patience to wait for Project Highland results …. We’ll see.

Reactions: MacO512
Cool - good to know they’re still making them. I’ve been driving our #2 car a lot lately and have realized our MY has ruined my tolerance for driving ICE. Got my finger on the trigger for replacing it with an M3 (can’t see waiting maybe forever for the “M2”) ………… gonna keep my eye on inventory now. Not sure I have the patience to wait for Project Highland results …. We’ll see.
I suspect project Highland is about saving Tesla money, maybe eventually it will lower the price, but its not about making the M3 better.

Reactions: pdx_m3s and 804son
Reactions: jboy210
I am getting confused by all the recent up-and down-and up again price jerking.
What's the current price range for Model3 Long Range?
What are people actually paying when they get ahold of one?
It is simple market fluctuation and is currently more volatile than normal
There is no current price range for the LR as it is not a published available vehicle
Your two choices are
  1. Constantly check the Tesla web site for availability. There are currently no LR 3's within 200 miles of Cincinnati, OH, 42502, but that of course is subject to change.
  2. Go to the Tesla Store in Cincinnati (well, Blue Ash to be specific) and talk to a person there. It may take a couple of times asking to get some help on this, but it has been reported in this thread and elsewhere that people have had luck going this route.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks, I gather as much about the curent supply issue, but I was specifically asking:
"What are people actually paying when they get ahold of one?"
As I type this, there are 4 in Georgia. Probably will be gone fast, heres a direct link

I wonder what the thinking is by Tesla in still having the LR version unavailable to order, but available to purchase via inventory. Seems like a reversal of their previous sales strategy.
The thinking is that people who aren’t in the know will spend the extra money on a Performance model, which is an essentially identical car sold for a much larger profit. Keeping them in inventory but not directly advertised allows them to make a sale for the people who ARE more price conscious and explicitly looking for the LR.

The 3LR is easily Tesla’s lowest margin vehicle, so making them a little harder to get is clearly in the best interest of their bottom line.

The 3LR is easily Tesla’s lowest margin vehicle, so making them a little harder to get is clearly in the best interest of their bottom line.
I am pretty certain Tesla is only doing what it can to fill the orders it took in 2022. They have diverted their resources to bump up production of MYLR.
In other words, M3 will only be M3 RWD and M3 Performance. No more M3LR.

1677989896214.png

I am pretty certain Tesla is only doing what it can to fill the orders it took in 2022. They have diverted their resources to bump up production of MYLR.
In other words, M3 will only be M3 RWD and M3 Performance. No more M3LR.
Right. Because selling the exact same battery in a YLR nets them thousands more dollars. That’s what I said.

Reactions: E90alex and enemji