Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great interior video, thanks for sharing!

OMG, a real console! ;) Of course, it may not have what the S and X have, AC vents in the console (back).

The container does seem to bend upwards inside (very shallow on the rear end), so definitely there could be AC vents there still.

Indeed that's what the rear interior image from the prototype looks like. Also USB underneath?

Also, adjustable seatbelts that Model S does not have...

Of course final specs are anyone's guess...

full

If you're aware of all that then why, a few posts back did it sound like you were saying the lack of the alien dreadnought indicated Elon was lying?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we all under the impression that Model 3's line would be the dreadnought? Wasn't Model 3 supposed to be the car that is built insanely fast and better than any car being built today? All this talk about machines building machines?

Did anybody expect Model 3's line to be just like other manufacturers based on what Elon has been saying for the past two years?

Wasn't Model 3 supposed to be the car that is built insanely fast and better than any car being built today? All this talk about machines building machines?
According to the conference call (and previous ones) the first Model 3 line is like version .5 of the alien dreadnought. In the most recent conference call he said that the Model 3 line will eventually be comparable to the best current line in the world.

The Model Y line will be the true alien dreadnought which is an order of magnitude better and faster than other companies according to the call.

Reactions: cizUK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't we all under the impression that Model 3's line would be the dreadnought?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I would say: no, I never expected the Model 3's line would be "the" alien dreadnought. In fact, I would say there is no "the" alien dreadnought at all.

What I heard was something more like it would be "version 0.5". And the "alien dreadnought", in my mind, is just a catchy/headline-fodder name for Tesla's internal shift in focus to manufacturing efficiency. I believe when he introduced the concept, he specifically framed it in the context of ongoing improvements and development, i.e. "version 0.5, version 1.0, version 2, 3, etc".

I don't doubt that the Model 3 line will incorporate some of the first principals that Tesla has developed for this concept. But I am also sure there will continue to be aspects to the line that are common to other, existing auto manufacturing lines.And I would expect a car's design will be specifically informed by the manufacturing capabilities and limitations of the given manufacturing process/line that Tesla is developing. This is the big shift, in my mind: focus on the manufacturing process and have the car follow.

Although, I would love to see a breakdown of the different parts/processes in the Model 3 line, and how they compare to a state-of-the-art line at a major manufacturer, and if there are any specific efficiency/speed gains as a result. It may turn out that the Model 3 line is about as fast, but maybe uses fewer manual steps. Or maybe even it doesn't even provide any gains right now, but sets the table for future versions that do.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the recent conference call. I was references things Elon said in the past. He was certainly hyping up Model 3's production to be other-wordly, and now we learn it's just regular-worldly. After all, we were supposed to see huge gains in economies of scale with Model 3, which would give us Tesla quality at a cheaper price, but apparently it's just going to be built like every other car? This basically confirms that Model 3 is a cheaper car with the battery premium. If GM or Nissan can't build a premium car for $35k, how can Tesla?

If Model Y's production is truly as fast and streamlined as Elon says, maybe we'll get the car everybody really wanted at the "affordable" price point, instead of the Compromise 3 in the interim.

So far you have quite a track record with respect to your expectations vs. consensus here. Who would have thought this was going to be so complicated?

But, hey, in case you didn't want to read through transcripts of previous investment calls or even the voluminous Secret Master Plans the basic idea was that the Model 3 is going to be a $35k base vehicle to compete with the BMW 3 series / Audi A4/ Mercedes C class. Not a $35k vehicle to compete with a $20k Civic.

This, given, the history of EVs could only be achieved by massive cost reductions and scale production volumes. So if Tesla achieves this by hitting the target, then, in fact, they have also achieved these goals as well.

But then again you also believe that if GM can't succeed with this goal then no way can Tesla. Hate to break it to you, the only people who think GM is an industry leader are folks at GM.

I'll go ahead and also predict that GM sells less than 1000 of the CT6 plug in (base price $75k vs $55k non plug in) and Supercruise is going to be extremely limited when it finally rolls out in the 2018 models.

So far you have quite a track record with respect to your expectations vs. consensus here. Who would have thought this was going to be so complicated?

But, hey, in case you didn't want to read through transcripts of previous investment calls or even the voluminous Secret Master Plans the basic idea was that the Model 3 is going to be a $35k base vehicle to compete with the BMW 3 series / Audi A4/ Mercedes C class. Not a $35k vehicle to compete with a $20k Civic.

This, given, the history of EVs could only be achieved by massive cost reductions and scale production volumes. So if Tesla achieves this by hitting the target, then, in fact, they have also achieved these goals as well.

But then again you also believe that if GM can't succeed with this goal then no way can Tesla. Hate to break it to you, the only people who think GM is an industry leader are folks at GM.

I'll go ahead and also predict that GM sells less than 1000 of the CT6 plug in (base price $75k vs $55k non plug in) and Supercruise is going to be extremely limited when it finally rolls out in the 2018 models.
Lol, this reminded me of the ELR. The people at GM actually thought that would be competitive with a Tesla. The logic is very similar, they just throw a boatload of amenities and gave it an extravagant interior. That didn't matter, practically no one thought it was worth the money.

Reactions: jelloslug
Elon has said from the beginning that the 3 would be a smaller version of the S.

When did he say that? He said it would be smaller than the S, I don't recall him ever saying it would be a smaller *VERSION* of the S.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. MODERATOR please move this and all non-sighting posts out of this thread.

With great anticipation of joy I click on this thread whenever I see there is a stream of new messages, probably indicating some interesting new sightings and comments thereon. How great is my disappointment in reading about the Bolt's gross margin and Tesla's compliance with GAAP :).

It's not up to the moderators to a posteriori move posts - that just takes up their time without preventing derailing. It's up to us to a priori not derail threads, pleez!

I think the mules are awesome! Where did they go? Maybe they are mating and creating more mules? Blue + White = light metallic blue, not sure I'd like that. Black + white = silver. OK. Maybe there will be a mutation that creates a lift back and then everyone will be happy. But let me be clear, I'm happy already and looking forward to configuring late 2017, early 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.