Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not recommended and also highest owner satisfaction from Consumer Reports

Model 3 Owners - Would you recommend your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The CR demography also has a lot to do with it. It's rating does not represent a cross section of all customers. Only subscribers receive ballots. Those tends to be older and less technically verse people. For example they would more likely to perceive something as a problem when all it needs to do is a screen reboot. That makes Tesla at disadvantage versus traditional appliance cars.

With all those said the very worst thing about CR that I've just found out is it now receives payments from dealership for customer referral. Is this the same organization that toots its objctivity because it does not receive any financial benefits from companies?

Build & Buy Car Buying Service

Last edited:
Most Model 3 owners and especially people on this forum are Tesla fans. So for them, the hot outweighs the crazy. But they will buy a Tesla regardless of CR.

The average buyer is different, though. And for them the appeal of a Tesla might not outweigh the reliability issues. But who knows.

In the end CR has criterias on when to recommend a product and when not to. You can’t recommend something with bad reliability, even if it’s really good everywhere else. Not if it’s a car, that people might have to keep out of warranty, or really depend on.

I see it as a chance for Tesla to improve. The people that love it will still buy it and those who don’t love it enough to be convinced by the bad reliability data, should not buy it. That’s also good for Tesla, since they won’t alienate future potential customers.

But..but..the CR survey that got the Model 3 highest owner satisfaction score was not from Tesla fans on this forum.

Hmm, they normally update reliability once a year. They updated it once for adding Summer 2018 data but only did so now in early 2019. They don't plan to update data twice a year going forward.

If they made it clear how dated the information was on every article it'd read differently. As is I find it misleading not not fair.

That makes the result very questionable. Tesla only started shipping Model 3 in significant quantities middle last year. Don't know when CR took the survey but it's likely sometimes around that time too. How could they got enough data when most people have just received their cars? Unless if it includes mostly cars made very early during the ramp up phase. That's just disingenuous if that's the case and they do not mention it or wait for more complete data. Although I can see them to rush it out to cash on the click bait value.

Last edited:
Both our Model 3s have been perfect. 2014 Model S close to perfect. A few issues with Model X, but it was one of the first ones built, so no surprises there. Worst vehicle we ever owned was our Chevy Suburban. That POS went to the dealer so many times the service guy new my wife by name and literally did a happy dance every time she dropped it off (which really made her mad).

Bottom line is Tesla themselves wants the 'Recommended' rating from CR. Although everyone and anyone that I know uses internet forums, youtube, amazon reviews, etc. for advice, for some reason CR sill has the clout to trigger a response from Tesla.

One thing we should all be grateful for is CR got Tesla to fix the brakes. Other than that I could care less about anything they have to say.

I agree with consumer reports
My tesla experience has been subpar. I think tesla is really missing a golden opportunity. Here is my experience so far.
I put my deposit on the car on the same day as Elon Musk’s announcement of the model 3. I was probably one of the first non employee person to do it. I got a the sketch of the car and a thankyou letter from Elon Musk. I waited nearly 3years to buy a model 3 performance. When I picked up the car from Rocklin Tesla I noticed a deep scratch in the paint. The build quality was subpar with panels not matching up with wide panel gaps. Against better judgment I took delivery.
The car ride back was amazing and is quick. Tesla made this flawed car rock!!
. After some time I took the car to get the paint repaired.

Rocklin tesla put me in a model s rental and my journey began.
Rocklin tesla kept my car for 2mos to fix a 2inch scratch. My gosh!
When I came to pick up the car it was returned to me with dirt and filth all over it. A simple 5 dollar car wash was to much to ask for!

Do you recall which body shop Tesla Rocklin had your paint repair performed at ? Was it Kneisel's Collision down the street ? I watched a video from Frugal Tesla Guy and Tesla Rocklin sent his car to Precedence Auto.

I too took delivery of a Model 3 Performance at Tesla Rocklin with multiple paint defects. Mine had 3 long visible scratches on the front fender, sand particles in the paint, visible contamination spots and lots of light scratches and swirl marks in the paint. Took delivery on 12/5/18 and last Monday (2/18/19) my car finally went in to get the paint corrected. It was about a 2.5 month wait from delivery to the first available appointment at Kniesel's.

The CR demography also has a lot to do with it. It's rating does not represent a cross section of all customers. Only subscribers receive ballots. Those tends to be older and less technically verse people. For example they would more likely to perceive something as a problem when all it needs to do is a screen reboot. That makes Tesla at disadvantage versus traditional appliance cars.

With all those said the very worst thing about CR that I've just found out is it now receives payments from dealership for customer referral. Is this the same organization that toots its objctivity because it does not receive any financial benefits from companies?

Build & Buy Car Buying Service

Where did you hear that CR gets payments from dealers? Their build and buy service is just a pass through to TrueCar, like a lot of other online sites. Far cry from getting payments from dealers in any kind of way that makes them biased.

If CR demography is so skewed with old people, why did those same subscribers rate the Model 3 as the most satisfactory car? And the 911 and Corvette and Model S also in their top 5? Doesn't seem like a bunch of crotchety tech-averse people to me.

Where did you hear that CR gets payments from dealers? Their build and buy service is just a pass through to TrueCar, like a lot of other online sites. Far cry from getting payments from dealers in any kind of way that makes them biased.

TrueCar got their income from dealers and it pays Consumer Reports. It went through the middleman but Tesla is still paid by dealers. If everyone buys car from Tesla that income will be stopped.

If CR demography is so skewed with old people, why did those same subscribers rate the Model 3 as the most satisfactory car? And the 911 and Corvette and Model S also in their top 5? Doesn't seem like a bunch of crotchety tech-averse people to me.

Older people can love Tesla too. They just have to go through steeper learning curve than those young techie type. As for 911 and Corvette have you ever noticed only older men drive those cars?

Ok, I"m guilty. I'm an old guy, consumer reports subscriber and I filled out the survey for our first 3.
I wasn't happy about filling it out because it is just an incredible car and none of its issues were serious issues.
And I say this coming from many years as computer user and a sports car driver/racer.
None of the issues were serious, impairing function as a car, in any way. And the Santa Barbara service center was
great getting me in quickly and doing the service while I relaxed in their lounge, And while there were issues on this April car
through Sept. There has been nothing since in 11k miles except a failure of the frunk release which they took quickly to liberate
the takeout food from rotting in place. (I find CR very useful for dishwashers, dryers and washing machines but would never take their advice on cars.)

Our second model 3 was made in Sept. (the Princess's red Princess car) and has had only a single issue, condensation in one taillight which was quickly fixed. 8000 miles.

So it looks as though the issues on the little stuff have improved a lot from this N = 2 sample.
And as far as old folks ability to adapt, the model 3 GUI is great. And I thought so from the moment I drove one.
Its easy to get confused about where controls are in cars with conventional controls, but on the model 3 you know where they are and they are logically arranged. Perfect, or nearly so.

I'm hopeful the "reliability" data will be much better for the 3 going forward.
And Santa Barbara service center is great!

And as far as old folks, I think its just about the easiest car to drive that I've ever driven so that is good for old folks. Also I find that I increasingly try to get my older friends to buy one because of EAP. I just think it's such a huge safety factor on longer trips and especially for older drivers.

Last edited:

So normally I love offending but I mean no offense here: is there a clear demographic on who is the biggest whiner?

You always hear about the go to school in the snow crowed uphill both ways - “back in the day” demo -

And now you got “adults” cuddling with teddy bears and crayons in safe spaces.

I don’t relate to either demographic being a Xennial.
We weren’t born with iPads but we know google, yahoo, altavista, Netscape navigator, etc.

CR was already irrelevant when any of us reached the point of earning money.

It’s a paradox on the demographic that gave both high satisfaction and low reliability scores.

74DB5D80-119D-439E-AA8A-E1920B3D3DEA.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CarlK
I have a very early model 3 and it’s been perfect. Works every time. Granted 13 months and 11k miles doesn’t tell if it will continue to be trouble free to 200,000
But so far no issues.

We have two Model 3's (one early LR and one early P3D-) with 14,000 total miles and not a single problem - neither one has seen service except to get winter tires mounted.

I have zero concerns about reliability.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Ok, I"m guilty. I'm an old guy, consumer reports subscriber and I filled out the survey for our first 3.
I wasn't happy about filling it out because it is just an incredible car and none of its issues were serious issues.
And I say this coming from many years as computer user and a sports car driver/racer.
None of the issues were serious, impairing function as a car, in any way. And the Santa Barbara service center was
great getting me in quickly and doing the service while I relaxed in their lounge, And while there were issues on this April car
through Sept. There has been nothing since in 11k miles except a failure of the frunk release which they took quickly to liberate
the takeout food from rotting in place. (I find CR very useful for dishwashers, dryers and washing machines but would never take their advice on cars.)

Our second model 3 was made in Sept. (the Princess's red Princess car) and has had only a single issue, condensation in one taillight which was quickly fixed. 8000 miles.

So it looks as though the issues on the little stuff have improved a lot from this N = 2 sample.
And as far as old folks ability to adapt, the model 3 GUI is great. And I thought so from the moment I drove one.
Its easy to get confused about where controls are in cars with conventional controls, but on the model 3 you know where they are and they are logically arranged. Perfect, or nearly so.

I'm hopeful the "reliability" data will be much better for the 3 going forward.
And Santa Barbara service center is great!

And as far as old folks, I think its just about the easiest car to drive that I've ever driven so that is good for old folks. Also I find that I increasingly try to get my older friends to buy one because of EAP. I just think it's such a huge safety factor on longer trips and especially for older drivers.

Reactions: Brando and dfwatt
"...but on the model 3 you know where they are and they are logically arranged..."

Logically arranged, perhaps, but not designed to be operated without taking one's eyes off of the road. In my previous car, a 2004 Mazda 3, I could set the cabin temperature and fan speed without taking my eyes off of the road. With the Tesla, that is impossible and a significant safety issue.

Reactions: BlindPass
"...but on the model 3 you know where they are and they are logically arranged..."

Logically arranged, perhaps, but not designed to be operated without taking one's eyes off of the road. In my previous car, a 2004 Mazda 3, I could set the cabin temperature and fan speed without taking my eyes off of the road. With the Tesla, that is impossible and a significant safety issue.

Use voice command to set fan speed and temp without taking your eyes off the road or put the car in AP and look out of the corner of your eye. I have the right lens in my glasses corrected for slightly closer focus so I can easily read the screen.

Use voice command to set fan speed and temp without taking your eyes off the road or put the car in AP and look out of the corner of your eye. I have the right lens in my glasses corrected for slightly closer focus so I can easily read the screen.

"Increase wiper speed"
"Okay, calling Madame Whiplash"

• Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus