Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (not so!) Long range

15Peter20

Oct 26, 2020
Norfolk
My experience also, but be happy: the short trips cost you 10X less per mile in fuel than a comparable ICE....
A BMW M3 averages, according to various magazines, 26.3 mpg. So that is £6.75 per gallon or £0.28 per mile.
The Tesla M3 needs, based on domestic charging at £0.15/kwh, costs about £0.02 per mile.
Happy days... cost and range are interlinked with happiness!
And a short journey to a pub with destination charging….. ooh yeah, even better.

MadScientist

Apr 23, 2020
Salisbury, UK
I’ve done very few longish trips in my car of late but was surprised when I plugged in a journey of 109 miles (Salisbury to Royal Leaminton Spa) and the energy useage monitor predicted a loss of 47% battery. Does the energy usage prediction assume a certain motorway speed or is it based on previous driving style?

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
I’ve done very few longish trips in my car of late but was surprised when I plugged in a journey of 109 miles (Salisbury to Royal Leaminton Spa) and the energy useage monitor predicted a loss of 47% battery. Does the energy usage prediction assume a certain motorway speed or is it based on previous driving style?
The energy monitor/app is based on your recent driving, and the graph will recalculate as the journey progresses. It is by far the best way of determining your range and state of charge at destination. The display on the screen next to the battery icon is, if displaying "miles," based on a set Wh/m and bears no relationship to any driving history. Many drivers have the display set to % for this reason (as I do).

Reactions: MadScientist

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire

based on recent driving style. I think you can switch between 5/15/30 miles and I guess (but not sure) it'll adapt the energy prediction based on that.

battery bar just shows the EPA rating and is always fixed (which is stupid - doesnt' even change to WLTP for European models). It would seem logical for it to reflect the same as the energy graph based on eg 30 miles or whatever you have that set to. Almost unbelievable that it doesn't do that

Reactions: MadScientist

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
based on recent driving style. I think you can switch between 5/15/30 miles and I guess (but not sure) it'll adapt the energy prediction based on that.
Correct. It also adjusts for height gain/loss on the nav route.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland

It depends if you put that destination in the navigation. The energy graph operates in two different modes. If there is no destination then it takes no account of anything other than the last few miles of driving. If (as sounds to be the case) you had your destination in the nav then is does take account of the route and it's particular impact on energy usage. I don't know why other people are saying it doesn't ... because it does .. and it's usually quite accurate based on a moderate driving style. Clearly it can't take account of whether you are going to drive fast or slow before you set off so that bit needs to be taken account of by you.

Alistairuk

Jun 25, 2020
Scotland
The cars navigation and arrival estimates are very accurate if you drive normally - if you floor it away from every junction / red light then obviously it won’t be.

It might not also take into account effect of ac on your battery consumption (the only time I noticed a discrepancy was on a very hot afternoon where I used a whole 3% more than it predicted over a 30 minute drive :))

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC