Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Only 1 Screen Officially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the single screen will be 'L' shaped?

The bottom part of the L could be behind the steering wheel, and the main part of the screen in the center. OK, technically, that would be an upside down 'L,' but you get the point.

If that was the case then there would still only be 'one' screen (part number).

Yo, everyone, screen directly in front of driver IS NOT JUST FOR SPEED. I agree that I could get used to not having speed right in front of me, but a Tesla is a modern car, there is a lot of information provided on the instrument cluster screen. Energy usage, navigation directions, climate settings, current track can all be displayed on that screen.
Of all the things you listed most cars now don't have them in front of the driver either, why would it be so bad if Tesla doesn't either? Simply because the S and the X do it that way? That's a silly reason to do something ....

It would not be a deal breaker for me, but I would very definitely not be happy with it. Based on comments above and elsewhere, my misgivings about HUD may be unwarranted, and I might find HUD perfectly acceptable. But not having basic information in front of me really seems like an extremely bad idea. I want this car so badly, that I will get it regardless (as long as the acceleration in the P/D model is at least as good as my Roadster) but failing to provide basic information in front of the driver would be IMO a very very bad mistake.

I agree that with FSD is would not matter, but the car will not have FSD during the time I expect to be driving it. (I am pretty sure that in 5 years or so I'll be upgrading to a better Tesla.)
I am much more optimistic than you are a out the timeframe to get full self driving.

I am much more optimistic than you are a out the timeframe to get full self driving.

I don't know the formal definition of Level 5 but I think of FSD as coming in two stages: The first I think could come within 5 years: This is where the car drives itself without human interaction most of the time, but there are conditions where it cannot, and it requires a driver to take over. If the human is not in the driver's seat the car pulls over and tells you to take over. If I have to drive some of the time, I want the critical information in front of me where it's easier to see. The second, which I don't expect sooner than 5 years (my time horizon for me to own my Model 3, before I upgrade to a newer car) is where there are no driver controls and I can take a nap in the back seat as the car drives me. Perhaps a bed is an option in this car. This car needs to be able to handle every possible condition on every possible kind of road. I think 5 years is overly optimistic for this.

I hope I'm wrong.

Okay, I found definitions. Level 4 the car is fully self driving within its own defined geographical area. Level 5 there's no steering wheel.

So I think there's going to be a Level 4.5 where the car can drive itself and is not limited to a geographical region, but where there are potentially situations that car cannot deal with and it stops and requires a human driver to take over.

I think Level 4.5 could arrive in five years. I do not think Level 5 (drive absolutely anywhere, under absolutely any conditions, and no steering wheel or other controls except an input device to tell it where you want to go.) will come that soon.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but my guess is 10 to 15 years before a car without driver controls is not geographically or otherwise limited. Until that time I want information directly in front of me.

I don't know the formal definition of Level 5 but I think of FSD as coming in two stages: The first I think could come within 5 years: This is where the car drives itself without human interaction most of the time, but there are conditions where it cannot, and it requires a driver to take over. If the human is not in the driver's seat the car pulls over and tells you to take over. If I have to drive some of the time, I want the critical information in front of me where it's easier to see. The second, which I don't expect sooner than 5 years (my time horizon for me to own my Model 3, before I upgrade to a newer car) is where there are no driver controls and I can take a nap in the back seat as the car drives me. Perhaps a bed is an option in this car. This car needs to be able to handle every possible condition on every possible kind of road. I think 5 years is overly optimistic for this.

I hope I'm wrong.

Okay, I found definitions. Level 4 the car is fully self driving within its own defined geographical area. Level 5 there's no steering wheel.

So I think there's going to be a Level 4.5 where the car can drive itself and is not limited to a geographical region, but where there are potentially situations that car cannot deal with and it stops and requires a human driver to take over.

I think Level 4.5 could arrive in five years. I do not think Level 5 (drive absolutely anywhere, under absolutely any conditions, and no steering wheel or other controls except an input device to tell it where you want to go.) will come that soon.

Again, I hope I'm wrong but my guess is 10 to 15 years before a car without driver controls is not geographically or otherwise limited. Until that time I want information directly in front of me.

4.5 will be rolled out on HW2-enabled Teslas S/3/X by the end of 2018....unless there are bureaucratic pushbacks.....

however, the new Secretary of Transportation has stated the new Administration will work towards innovation in self-driving, and not hinder it.

EDIT: Adding a link....

The Next Transportation Secretary Seems Pretty Down With Self-Driving Cars

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EinSV
There are going to be a lot of upset people if there's no visual display in front of the driver (be it a hud or binnacle). I will be one of them. And the center display better be flush with the dash.

Tesla cannot seriously think the current interior design is actually going to be a hot seller.
With almost 4,000 people having put down $1,000 with Tesla for a car they have never driven (or even touched) but have only seen photos of (and only a few hundred have sat in one), a car with a single center mounted display that is not flush with the dash, and knowing very few details about the vehicle, it appears that the Model 3 will in fact be a "hot seller". It appears that you will not be a buyer since the center display will not be flush with the dash according to the test drivers , that is your choice of course.

So not only does Tesla seriously think the Model 3 interior design is going to sell well, but the available evidence (number of reservations) supports that view.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Garlan, there has been endless speculation about that. My opinion, which I have posted multiple times, is that the Model 3 "spaceship controls" that Elon mysteriously tweeted about almost a year ago, will be a Model 3 option and will first be made available on the S/X. I do not think of the S/X as being a "test bed" for the 3. Elon has stated several times that the S/X will always get the latest and greatest features before the lower priced Tesla models do.

The center display will remain, but something will change on the driver's side. I do not know what the change will consist of, obviously. Speculation has been rampant.

Reactions: boaterva
Garlan, there has been endless speculation about that. My opinion, which I have posted multiple times, is that the Model 3 "spaceship controls" that Elon mysteriously tweeted about almost a year ago, will be a Model 3 option and will first be made available on the S/X. I do not think of the S/X as being a "test bed" for the 3. Elon has stated several times that the S/X will always get the latest and greatest features before the lower priced Tesla models do.

The center display will remain, but something will change on the driver's side. I do not know what the change will consist of, obviously. Speculation has been rampant.

Holding Model 3:Reveal 3 closer to July makes sense in this case.

By showing off the interior with new display setup, and telling everyone "and this is now available on all Model S and X purchased as of today" they would keep themselves from Osborning the S and X too much.

Unless it's a really unpopular design decision, in which case, the CPO market will catch fire.

Are we missing the fact that perhaps there's a "single screen" which can receive input from the user(s), in addition to a more traditional digital display which only displays operational information (speed/indicators/etc)?

Or is that just me hoping that I don't get stuck with an off-center single point of information display?

I think for only a small minority would "no HUD" be a dealbreaker. But, my concerns with a central LCD screen only and I hope Tesla can address these.

1. Lots of critical driving information to jam into a single 15" screen (that also includes HVAC, media, navigation): speed, high-beam status, Autopilot car detection and warnings, charge level, drive indicators (Drive, Reverse), and any critical system failures. How they organize and prioritize this information will make/break the screen, I think.
  2. Glare. It's a LCD screen on an arm in a moving car. Glare will be an issue. Risky because of all the critical info in #1 above.
  3. Software bugs and lag. Any of these that used to just affect your media/navigation can now affect all the critical info in #1 above.
  4. Bright screen at night. Repeated glances at a 15" LCD screen may hurt night vision and front passenger comfort.

I hope I'm wrong.

If FSD takes this long, whether due to technical limitations or legality, there are going to be a lot of angry Tesla customers that ponied up $$$ for FSD.

I echo what others have said. HUD is a must, there is simply too much information to push to the center display by itself.

Reactions: William3
One possibility that no-one here has mentioned: Yes, there will be only one *screen*, but how about that they just put up an old-time analog instrument cluster in front of the driver? Not a big one like most manufactures does, but just one small simple one with the most critical information, like speed, charge (just a simple one like the old fuel gauge was), light/high-beam status, turn signal indicator and some warning lights (Oil lamp! ;) ).

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
Are we missing the fact that perhaps there's a "single screen" which can receive input from the user(s), in addition to a more traditional digital display which only displays operational information (speed/indicators/etc)?
I don't think so.

Again and again I keep going back to the fact that on Apr 3, 2016, Elon tweeted in response to someone who asked him about the Model 3 steering wheel controls:

"Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

We know that the Tesla test drivers repeatedly stated at the Model 3 reveal that the production cars would have the center display screen as shown in the prototypes they were driving. And Elon has confirmed that multiple times, including in the quarterly earnings call yesterday.

And we know what Elon tweeted as quoted above. Since then he has not provided any more details about that.

Whatever you want to imagine about the driver interface in the production Model 3 cars, it seems to me that you have to accept those two two things to base your speculations on.

What do "spaceship" steering controls mean? I have no idea since very few have been built, except that spaceships don't need a HUD because you don't steer a spaceship by looking out the window!

In my opinion there is zero chance that Elon would do that. Tesla never goes backwards, only forwards.
Regardless, there could be an analog or LCD cluster of some sort for all we know. It would be cheaper, and there's nothing "backwards" about it if its designed in a fresh fashion.

That said, I hope there's a HUD of some sort offered...I'm all for trying something new!