Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered in the morning of 4/1/16, SF Bay Area resident, first time Tesla buyer. Still no invitation. :(

My Tesla.com account says the estimated delivery window is May-July. It was Feb-April before it got pushed back a few weeks ago.

I've tried to update my entry in this spreadsheet multiple times, but opening that "form" again never fills in any of my previous info.

I had major problems getting the first form filled out and getting the data into the spreadsheet in the first place. Why does this have to be so complicated?

Hi @SomeJoe7777,
The process is a little more complicated than it used to be. We did put in a few security measures which prevent people from changing and manipulating the data set.

That said, I did go through the process with your form and did not find any glitch.

If I may troubleshoot:

First when you open the spreadsheet, make sure you log in on your google account in the upper right corner.
We do not collect email addresses, but it is required to log on by google sheet to edit entries.
This is the only way we can insure that only one entry can be submitted per person.
Then scroll down to your user name and click the link next to your name.
This should bring up a form saying that you have already entered data.
Click the 'edit your data' at the bottom of that form.
That should take you to the form with your info.

Let me know if you are still having problem after those steps.
Thanks for the data point.
Enjoy your car. Maybe one of these days I'll run into you in a Houston Tesla event.

CJ

Hi, @SomeJoe7777. Normally, if you have used the form once, you can open it again using the normal plain link and your old data will be there and you can make changes and re-submit. However, there was something special about your form entry a week ago. The Invite date was Feb 4, 2018, but the Configuration date was Jan 18, 2018. We decided to remove the Invite date because it's after the Configuration date. The problem is, we can't actually edit people's form data permanently. We can temporarily change the output but that only changes it until the form is re-submitted.

Therefore this form entry was changed back to a pre-form entry. What this means is, it is deleted from the form and copied as normal text to the pre-form entries tab along with the other pre-form entries. Therefore when you open the form again now, you see nothing. It is like you have never submitted anything. Does this mean, you have to type in all the data to the form again? No. You can use the link next to your username. This is a pre-filled link that has your information right there on the link. Here is how the link looks like:

...&entry.1655217939=SomeJoe7777&entry.1589969856=Houston&entry.1428019508=TX&entry.666363847=USA&entry.136345589=Owner+or+previous+owner&entry.530676443=2016-03-31&entry.1028923283=11:10&entry.507291037=In-Store...

You can click on the link next to your username and open the pre-filled form, or if you don't like this, you could open the blank form and type everything again and submit. This will result in a duplicate entry which is not a problem. I remove duplicates when they happen. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for participating.

I have now added this information to the form: "If you had access to the Configurator before you received an invite, enter the date you realized you had access."

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
I was able to click on the link next to the username to edit. I don't remember that being there before, but maybe it was.

Thanks for your help. I still think the Google editing process is a little too complicated. I know there's not a lot you can do about it, but really, we're just trying to collect some statistics. It seems overkill to have to have an account, a web form, etc.

Reminds me of an old commercial I once saw about "the modern way to split up dinner expenses". All you had to do was have everyone have a smartphone, download an app, register for an account, send everyone else an "invite" so that you created a new "dinner party", link your new account to your paypal or credit card, elect a leader to put in the master check items, and then "claim" your purchased dishes from the app's menu summary. So easy! :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and navguy12
There's a book I read a year or two ago called Chaos Monkeys. One takeaway is the concept that for a startup to make it, its business can need a maximum of one miracle to happen. If a business needs two or more miracles, PASS. I use this anecdote when I meet with overly-excited serial entrepreneurs, whose latest idea is THE BEST yet needs 3-4-5 miracles to prevail.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
@SomeJoe7777,
Initially, we had just a normal Google spreadsheet editable by anyone. Then I added a feature where we could compare each edit to the previous version and either approve it or reverse it. You wouldn't believe the kind of edits we saw. People were changing it from San Diego CA to San Diego TX or from 31 Mar 2016 11:00 AM In-Store to Online or from owner to non-owner. We started reversing all these changes. Both @chojn1 and I were working on this every day, checking each and every edit one by one. Then I added another feature where we could see the time of each edit. Now we would see things like no edits for hours and then a few entries would change within 2 minutes, suggesting that the same person was editing other people's data.

Because unauthorized edits were a big issue, my idea was to cancel all edits and collect only data that is complete. I thought we should delete all entries without VINs and not accept any entry unless it includes a VIN. This way, there wouldn't be any reason to edit the data later. However, @chojn1 wanted people to participate and feel involved to make waiting easier so we continued with the manual approvals. A few times after mass unauthorized edits, we used Version History to go back in time. Eventually, I looked into the form idea closer and realized that we could use that because it allowed people to change their data after they submit without having to re-enter everything. If you open the form again, you will realize that all your data is still there.

The process is actually pretty much automated. For example, when you submitted your form entry, the pre-form entry you already had was automatically removed from the All Entries tab and the link next to your username changed from the pre-filled link to the plain form link. If you wish, you can go ahead and change your username in the form and this won't disconnect your form entry from your pre-form entry that still has the old username. In addition, if you were to enter an invite date that is after your configuration date, now I don't need to do anything to fix that. A formula will hide your invite date and another formula will display a warning in column AB. All this might seem like overkill but check out this other Tesla-related spreadsheet here that has little oversight and no Google form. It looks like a complete mess.

@SomeJoe7777,
Initially, we had just a normal Google spreadsheet editable by anyone. Then I added a feature where we could compare each edit to the previous version and either approve it or reverse it. You wouldn't believe the kind of edits we saw. People were changing it from San Diego CA to San Diego TX or from 31 Mar 2016 11:00 AM In-Store to Online or from owner to non-owner. We started reversing all these changes. Both @chojn1 and I were working on this every day, checking each and every edit one by one. Then I added another feature where we could see the time of each edit. Now we would see things like no edits for hours and then a few entries would change within 2 minutes, suggesting that the same person was editing other people's data.

Because unauthorized edits were a big issue, my idea was to cancel all edits and collect only data that is complete. I thought we should delete all entries without VINs and not accept any entry unless it includes a VIN. This way, there wouldn't be any reason to edit the data later. However, @chojn1 wanted people to participate and feel involved to make waiting easier so we continued with the manual approvals. A few times after mass unauthorized edits, we used Version History to go back in time. Eventually, I looked into the form idea closer and realized that we could use that because it allowed people to change their data after they submit without having to re-enter everything. If you open the form again, you will realize that all your data is still there.

The process is actually pretty much automated. For example, when you submitted your form entry, the pre-form entry you already had was automatically removed from the All Entries tab and the link next to your username changed from the pre-filled link to the plain form link. If you wish, you can go ahead and change your username in the form and this won't disconnect your form entry from your pre-form entry that still has the old username. In addition, if you were to enter an invite date that is after your configuration date, now I don't need to do anything to fix that. A formula will hide your invite date and another formula will display a warning in column AB. All this might seem like overkill but check out this other Tesla-related spreadsheet here that has little oversight and no Google form. It looks like a complete mess.
Accidentally put Houston,Texas instead of Houston on the form.... just to let you know

Love the spreadsheet.....Can you add a feature that shows at the end of each day (week) how many people had configured (i.e. paid the $2,500) but not had delivery yet? I have this sneaking suspicion that Tesla is garnering deposits from people who configure but not actually making more cars. Would be a nice way for them to bring in some more cash.....

It seems like you are insinuating something with your post.

The $2500 is a nonrefundable payment towards your car so that Tesla will presumably start the production of your car. It is also there to prevent you from backing out of a purchase if you have buyer's remorse the next day.

After configuring (when the $2500 is paid), the car should be delivered in 3-6 weeks (some people are currently at a month). By the time they stamp a piece of metal, your $2500 has pretty much already redeemed itself.

Reactions: EinSV and navguy12
Not insinuating, just want to know the situation. How many people are now waiting for their car with a $2500 non-refundable deposit vs. waiting for their car with a $1,000 refundable deposit. Would it bother you if configuration to delivery stretched out to months and months? It does appear that they aren't making near as many cars as they are taking deposits. They (and you) imply its 3- 6 weeks but what if its not. Is this a reasonable thing for people to consider when they are considering configuring???

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
In my opinion, no.

Not insinuating, just want to know the situation. How many people are now waiting for their car with a $2500 non-refundable deposit vs. waiting for their car with a $1,000 refundable deposit. Would it bother you if configuration to delivery stretched out to months and months? It does appear that they aren't making near as many cars as they are taking deposits. They (and you) imply its 3- 6 weeks but what if its not. Is this a reasonable thing for people to consider when they are considering configuring???

It seems like you are insinuating something with your post.

The $2500 is a nonrefundable payment towards your car so that Tesla will presumably start the production of your car. It is also there to prevent you from backing out of a purchase if you have buyer's remorse the next day.

After configuring (when the $2500 is paid), the car should be delivered in 3-6 weeks (some people are currently at a month). By the time they stamp a piece of metal, your $2500 has pretty much already redeemed itself.

To add to this -- the suggestion that Tesla would schedule deliveries prematurely to raise cash makes no sense. If they added 2000 cars to the queue at $2500 per car that would generate only $5 million in cash, and only temporarily. Tesla has over $3 billion in cash on hand, so this is barely a rounding error. Plus, the vast majority of deliveries (over 90%) have occurred within 6 weeks of configuration according to the spreadsheet.

Hi, @Sneakerbuddy. We have these 3 columns at the end of the table on the All Entries tab.
  • Configuration to Delivery (days)
  • Configuration to VIN (days)
  • VIN to Delivery (days)
Check out the visual guide here that shows step by step how you can use filter views. There was an issue with production between 19-27 February but I don't think it had anything to do with Tesla delaying production intentionally so they can hang on to $2,500 for longer instead of delivering the actual car and getting the full payment.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865