Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some users have asked for an easier way to see where the latest VINs are going. So, here is a new chart. The live version is here. See the 'How to use' tab if you want to add or edit your data.

sPEvAv6.png

@Troy or you could chart it as opposed to showing it in a tabular format. I won't freak if you use the chart.

I'm not allowed to post the link, but on the actual chart, hovering over a color in a bar shows the count. Hovering over a color on the legend highlights the same colors across the chart.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 2.25.49 PM.png

Some users have asked for an easier way to see where the latest VINs are going. So, here is a new chart. The live version is here. See the 'How to use' tab if you want to add or edit your data.

sPEvAv6.png
Just checked the live version of this chart. I like it. It makes it much easier to see latest trends in Vin assignments. Looks like they are really focusing on MSM Aeros. Too bad I’m waiting for Blue 19”s.

Just checked the live version of this chart. I like it. It makes it much easier to see latest trends in Vin assignments. Looks like they are really focusing on MSM Aeros. Too bad I’m waiting for Blue 19”s.

I think they are trying to catch up on the aeros, but I don't think there is a color preference except against silver. That is reasonable as there is such a low demand for silver. It seems like they are switching back to the US for VIN assignment in the last couple of days.

Tesla Model 3 Invites - Latest VIN

export.jpg

Last edited:
I think they are trying to catch up on the aeros, but I don't think there is a color preference except against silver. That is reasonable as there is such a low demand for silver. It seems like they are switching back to the US for VIN assignment in the last couple of days.

View attachment 300121

Thanks for your work on these! This info is also helpful in visualizing the popularity of each color.

Let's say a month ago they had 6,000 people in the VIN queue and now they have 9,000. Looking at this increase people might think that the backlog is getting longer but absolute numbers are misleading in this context. If the production rate was 2,000/week a month ago, then 6,000 people would be equal to 3 weeks of production. If the production rate is 3,000/week now, then 9,000 people would be again equal to 3 weeks of production.

Therefore comparing the current number of people in the VIN queue to past numbers is misleading. There is a similar situation if you look at the VIN chart below. The gap between the green line and the orange line is getting wider over time but this is perfectly normal and it is supposed to be like that. They are acquiring NHTSA VINs a few weeks in advance. In the past, a few weeks meant 2500 units when their production rate was low. Nowadays a few weeks means 10K units. The gap didn't change in terms of time. Therefore this is actually an excellent way to estimate current total units.

Tesla collects $2,500 USD when people configure. If they collected that from let's say 10K people, that would be $25 million which is less than 1% of their $3.4 billion revenue in Q1. It's not important.

enmQV5q.png

Click here for the live version of this chart.

I get your point that its not necessarily a lot of money. But the number of people configured no VIN; and VIN no Car would still be interesting:
1) It would have general indication of Teslas expectations for manufacturing and delivery. Should be a stable but slightly growing number. But, what if it wasnt? If the number went way up or way down, it might correlate with something interesting.
2) If production is going up, you are right the number of people in those status should be generally growing but not outrageously. What is the growth rate compared to expected production rate? If Tesla announces 5K per week but not a lot of people in the queue, that would be weird.
3) They are in a well documented financial crunch with net working capital below negative $2.3B. Every dollar counts until they make Model 3 goals for volume and profit. If these numbers balloon, it might indicate they are taping this source of funding. $25 million will soon be a material portion of unrestricted US cash.

I just think the chart would be interesting and would love to see how it has behaved over the last few months and going forward.

• Disagree
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
is there a way to access the original spreadsheet? i am most interested in deliveries reported every day over a longer period of time. was possible with the spreadsheet. thx.

Edit: Found it. Thx for the great work!

Last edited:
@chojn1 @Troy

Gentlemen - You both have done an amazing job with your improvements to the database by creating more informational spreadsheets & graphs and i'm hooked on both. The problem is (what you've been hearing from others on this forum) that now that we have two separate databases...the data is not consistent and full of discrepancies and folks are not sure if to update both or one or none.

I know that this is not the UN and you will likely not reach a peace accord but i have to say If this is truly a community database than somehow put your differences aside and figure out how to work off of one database to put your amazing spreadsheets and graphs together... Remember...the data is everyone's

View attachment 300121

@chojn1 - Would it be a big task to have a breakdown of the 'Latest VIN' page for colors... similar to what has been done on the "Waiting for VIN" page? will greatly help understand the VIN color range and the sequencing.

@chojn1 do you have an equivalent view/plot of number of VINs reported per week. I couldn’t find it on the site.

@mrkymarc,

Try this:
Tesla Model 3 Invites - VIN Reports

On another note, the Tesla gods were kind enough to grant me my VIN today. My case is special as I am the first 19" Sport and the first silver metallic they have granted in a long time.

I am a little ambivalent about being so close to the AWD. But if I change now, I will be back in line behind all those previous deferrals. So I am happy with my VIN for now. My AWD Tesla will have to wait for model Y.

CJ

@chojn1 - Would it be a big task to have a breakdown of the 'Latest VIN' page for colors... similar to what has been done on the "Waiting for VIN" page? will greatly help understand the VIN color range and the sequencing.
I know it has been expressed that a database is too much for this sort of thing, but this is actually a great place to have a simple document driven database. It could be set up to automatically update a Google sheet or be queried directly. This means a chart does not need to retrieve the whole spreadsheet. It also means that the filtering and collation that a chart may need can utilize indexes to speed things up. My slowest chart took 1 second to load it's data. The same chart on the spreadsheet took 14 seconds. But I think the best part about the approach would be that the community's data would be accessible by the community -- anyone could query live up-to-date data, chart the data, and share their results as they desired.

HI @agastya,
The 'Latest VIN' page have always been broken down by color. Maybe what you really want to see is this:

Tesla Model 3 Invites - VIN Graphs

chart (3).png