Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance 1-foot rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the times, and canbus power readings, through all the software changes, shown below on the AWD vs P....both with and without rollout.

(and yes- Tesla is incredibly dishonest only using rollout for P models- nobody else in the industry does this- they all either use it or not for all cars they advertise any 0-60 time for)
LRAWD2.png

3.2 was listed before the two power bumps if I'm not mistaken and was listed using the 1 foot rollout measurement. However, they have not changed that figure on the website since those free OTA power increases. Most M3P's I see are now doing 3.0-3.1 using 1' rollout measurement.

The LR AWD 3 without accel boost is also definitely faster than the 4.4 still listed after the power increases as well, however is still shown as a non 1' rollout measurement. Stock LR AWD is now doing about 4 seconds flat using 1' rollout (4.2x non-rollout).

Yeah the 3.2 Tesla advertises is accurate. Not really "dishonest" at all anymore after the power boost updates..

The dishonestly is the posted #s use rollout (pre power bump) for the P, and no rollout for the AWD.

Thus making the gap between the two appear artificially large.

3.2 was listed before the two power bumps if I'm not mistaken and was listed using the 1 foot rollout measurement. However, they have not changed that figure on the website since those free OTA power increases. Most M3P's I see are now doing 3.0-3.1 using 1' rollout measurement.

The LR AWD 3 without accel boost is also definitely faster than the 4.4 still listed after the power increases as well, however is still shown as a non 1' rollout measurement. Stock LR AWD is now doing about 4 seconds flat using 1' rollout (4.2x non-rollout).

Exactly that.

Remember at launch the P was listed at 3.5, and the AWD at 4.5?

And then magically the P dropped to 3.3 without any change to the car including no software change?

That was Tesla applying their dishonest "rollout included, but only for P" strategy to the 3 that they'd already been using for years on the S.

When the first 5% bump came out they knocked .1 off both official times- making them 3.2 and 4.4...and haven't updated em since.

But point remains the website, and the two-different-measurements, method leaves you thinking the P is 1.2 seconds quicker than the unboosted AWD... and it's never been that large a difference if you measure them both the same way... (it was just about 1 flat originally, and it's down to ~.85-.9 now)

Likewise they advertise the 2k AWD boost at 3.9, but there's tons of folks that, when measured like a P (with 1' rollout) are getting ~3.5

Not mine, but one of the quicker ones I've seen posted for a LR AWD with boost (there's one at least a hundredth quicker that's logged in the spreadsheet I posted earlier but don't seem to have a copy of the pic handy)

awdunlock.png

Ok, I'll have to be the one to ask the stupid question because I honestly don't know. How the hell do you even do a 1 ft rollout?? One would assume you just stop with creep enabled and let it roll for a split second and punch it (which wouldn't make much sense because it's near impossible to discern from inside the car what 1ft is)...OR, the option that I assume is used: do you just launch from a dig as usual and let the software calculate from 1 ft, which I'm reading is also @ about 5mph.

These are two very different things, so I'm wondering which it is. I know it's VERY different from something like 10 or 20 to 60/80/100, but my point is the faster it's going the harder it digs...so if you really did let it physically roll a tiny bit, start at 5mph THEN punch it, it makes even more sense why it would be quicker vs the full software method.

Someone please enlighten me...

Ok, I'll have to be the one to ask the stupid question because I honestly don't know. How the hell do you even do a 1 ft rollout?? One would assume you just stop with creep enabled and let it roll for a split second and punch it (which wouldn't make much sense because it's near impossible to discern from inside the car what 1ft is)...OR, the option that I assume is used: do you just launch from a dig as usual and let the software calculate from 1 ft, which I'm reading is also @ about 5mph.

These are two very different things, so I'm wondering which it is. I know it's VERY different from something like 10 or 20 to 60/80/100, but my point is the faster it's going the harder it digs...so if you really did let it physically roll a tiny bit, start at 5mph THEN punch it, it makes even more sense why it would be quicker vs the full software method.

Someone please enlighten me...

You don't "do" one, it's just a difference in how the device measures your time.

With something like a draggy you just launch as normal.

(at an actual drag strip, where the term comes from, and launch is measuring with staged timing lights, there's an actual difference in timing based on how deep or shallow into the lights you stage the car)