Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving at steady 70 on a clear day with no appreciable wind with AC set to 72 on a day with around 90F ambient temps, I get better mileage than EPA. Meaning if I drive 50 miles, I consume only 48 miles for that trip. Head wind, if any, and low temps (less than 50F) has an impact.

Really interesting thread- thanks all for sharing your experiences. I'm down to 290 miles on a 100% charge on a Performance Model 3. I charge to 80% daily. I'm leaving on a 1200 mile road trip tomorrow, so I'll be doing several full charges to see if my numbers change at all.

My car is now 11 months old, and with 10,000 miles. My battery capacity has dropped about 7% in that time, and my actual range is under 290 miles when I drive at an average efficiency of 219 Wh/mile.

upload_2019-9-3_12-10-21.png

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
I have zero Super-charging.
I generally charge at 40A at home.
I typically charge to 90%, though I've been to 100% four times and used it immediately.
Car has never been below 10%
Daily use is between 50 and 90%
Long trips will go from 95-100% down to 10-15%
I typically only charge to 70% for everyday use. Not saying charging to 90% is good or bad, but I am happy with just 70% which is more than enough, and I am guessing 70% is better than 90% for the longevity of the battery. Just a guess.

After 18 months and 22K miles I am getting 222 miles for 70%, and 310 for 100%, although I haven't charged to 100% in about 4 months. M3 LR RWD

For the record, I only recently switched to 90% daily charge due to a Musk recommendation and the current general consensus. Previously, I was charging to 75% each day. The switch to 90% charging is a result of the declining capacity, not the reason for it.

Most amusing to me is that I didn't want to write 75% as my typical charging regimen because I knew that the first response was that I need to be charging to at least 90%.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
Wow. My 11-month old,13,000 mile odometer LR AWD M3 has been happily motoring along with 100% SOC consistently 309-311 miles. Then, all within a recent period of about 5 days and 600 miles, 100% SOC dropped from 310 to 303-305 miles! I think that Tesla may have changed the BMS software to cause this, without telling us. At least one other forum member has been quoted saying on this forum that a Tesla tech told him that Tesla is indeed doing this in order to "protect" the battery I just don't think anything changed in my car or my charging to cause that much capacity drop so quickly. I have had no fundamental change in charging pattern during this period, except that two charging events were CHAdeMO instead of L2 or supercharging. One of these took the batt from 30% to 80% SOC at a charge rate 44-37 KW , and the second event went from 80% to 99% at a rate of 21-12 KW. (Two different CHAdeMO chargers, with other miles and other L2 charging in between). The 99% was burned off immediately. I don't think that CHAdeMO charging has anything to do with this apparent loss in capacity, but I'm mentioning it anyway. I upgraded to 2019.28.3.1 shortly before I noticed this apparent degradation.

What do you guys think - is Tesla manipulating our battery capacity in this manner? Does Tesla ever announce when it has made a change to the BMS software? Has a recent change in the car's software affected this? Does anyone have any real or anecdotal evidence? I'd sure like to see a definitive statement about it from someone at Tesla who has actual, correct, knowledge.

I have zero Super-charging.
I generally charge at 40A at home.
I typically charge to 90%, though I've been to 100% four times and used it immediately.
Car has never been below 10%
Daily use is between 50 and 90%
Long trips will go from 95-100% down to 10-15%
Thanks, looks normal, but at what point, miles on odometer, did you make that switch from 75% to 90%?

Really interesting thread- thanks all for sharing your experiences. I'm down to 290 miles on a 100% charge on a Performance Model 3. I charge to 80% daily. I'm leaving on a 1200 mile road trip tomorrow, so I'll be doing several full charges to see if my numbers change at all.

My range is holding steady at 292 miles at 100% on my 3P with firmware 2019.32. I actually found the efficiency to be significantly better on this trip than anytime previous (250 Wh/mile vs 320+ Wh/mile previously). I have no problem with the drop in full charge range if the efficiency has improved or if it's actually giving a more realistic estimate now.

At about 8,000 miles. The following 2,000 miles has shown the continued drop in capacity without a hitch.
The thing is, Stats is only using a linear best fit line. I've seen more than a few people post graphs where a linear best fit line didn't really describe the scatterplot at all. While yours looks straightforward, it also looks like there might be 3 segments to it. It looks level from about 5750 to 7750. Then a decline from 7750 onward.

Whether I'm imagining a false correlation or not, it's easy to test. Just start charging to 75% as you used to and see if there's any change over the next 2 weeks.

My situation seems to be fairly close to the OP's, figured maybe some one can chime in and discuss my bearish trend in range rating... Currently at 2.77% degredation after about a month of use. Purchased car June 29th, car sat till about August 12th when I came back from a vacation.

I daily drive 176 miles a day and use anywhere between 75% to 80% battery which comes out to around 56.25 to 60kW per day. I have a HPWC and when I get home, I'll immediately connect, TeslaFi charges to 80% and then is scheduled to finish off to 95% about 30 mins before I leave for work. With this charge schedule, I'm able to arrive home over 10%, however I have to disable sentry at work. I never use the cabin temp control in fear of not making it home without having to swing by a SC.

Two weeks ago, I tried topping off to around 97% which got me home with around 19-21% and Sentry enabled for the whole work shift, which was nice.

In the beginning I was doing 90% charges, but would uncomfortably get home with around 6-8%, oddly there was no degredation. I figured maybe it needs to be charged to 100% after I get home... But to no avail, it's just slowly decreasing. The drop started to occur shortly after doing 95% charges.

I guess it's also worth noting that my drive to work is around 95-110*F and my drive home is around 67-75*F in the summer (currently). At this rate, I'ma probably have to switch cars with the wife and drive the Camry Hybrid in the winter where the drive to work will be around 45-60*F and the drive home will be 28-45*F.

Screenshot_20190909-025643.png

Last edited:
At some point between 8k and 10k I switched to a somewhat consistent 90% charging, and you can see that the graph remain in steady decline. The linear fit in this case is a good representation.
Agreed, there seems to be alot of dots between 7750 and 10250 showing a steady drop; but as I mentioned earlier, if you look from 5750 to 7750 it looks fairly flat
Screenshot 2019-09-09 14.00.55.jpg
So, the decline is not necessarily steady, there appear to be flattish areas in your chart. The blue dashed line influences your perception of the scatterplot. I'd recommend downloading the data and putting it into a chart and doing a moving average to get a better sense of whether the decline is continuous or whether there are some periods of decline and some flat periods and whether you can correlate that with firmware versions or charging strategy.

I have re-gained 13-ish miles of range but it's possibly a side effect of the Dorian uncorking. The only thing I've done out of the ordinary recently was charge to 100% and keep it there for a full day (hurricane prep). My theoretical max is now 310 up from 295-297 just a couple of weeks ago.

I have re-gained 13-ish miles of range but it's possibly a side effect of the Dorian uncorking. The only thing I've done out of the ordinary recently was charge to 100% and keep it there for a full day (hurricane prep). My theoretical max is now 310 up from 295-297 just a couple of weeks ago.

Interesting...when you charged to 100% and left it there, what did it stop at? Did the theoretical max show 310 the next time you charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.