Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most people don't understand the value of PPF. If you are saying things like "it's cheaper to repaint", you're missing the point.

If you don't care about rock chips slowly destroying the front of your car, that's totally fine. Most people don't.

If it does bother you, that means you have to watch the process happen over time, be bothered by it, then eventually take it in for that repaint. At which point, of course the process starts over again and now you have to go through it twice.

The point of PPF, is to always have a (more or less) perfect looking paint job.

Most people don't understand the value of PPF. If you are saying things like "it's cheaper to repaint", you're missing the point.

If you don't care about rock chips slowly destroying the front of your car, that's totally fine. Most people don't.

If it does bother you, that means you have to watch the process happen over time, be bothered by it, then eventually take it in for that repaint. At which point, of course the process starts over again and now you have to go through it twice.

from experience:

it depends on your driving habits and climate. longer cold snow seasons with sand and ice melt on the road = more paint chips. tailgating = more paint ships.

-I've had several BMWs with a ton of paint chips. this is driving in NJ/NYC area

-my last '20 M3P had just under 10 tiny paint chips, which i repaired with paint touchup.sold it to a dealer and none of the 6 appraisers mentioned anything about paint chips.

-i've traded in and sold to dealers 10+ cars and None have mentioned paint chips as as reason for lower value. it's considered normal wear and tear.

- i wasn't planning on doing PPF, until i found a cheap place for only the front bumper for $500 today

- you will never re-coup the money you spend on PPF, so i would never get PPF unless it's at a reasonable price point.

- i will DIY PPF some easy spots on the car.

Reactions: JezzaE and snider00
Updated EDD 6/16: Aug 24 - Oct 6

:(

I refuse to order one (to replace my 2020 M3P) until there is some predictability around availability and pricing. Placing an order and then sitting around wondering when it will actually get built/delivered is just silly. If they want to sell more cars, perhaps they need to figure out how to actually fill their existing sales pipeline.

Frustrating.

I refuse to order one (to replace my 2020 M3P) until there is some predictability around availability and pricing. Placing an order and then sitting around wondering when it will actually get built/delivered is just silly. If they want to sell more cars, perhaps they need to figure out how to actually fill their existing sales pipeline.

Frustrating.
i totally understand. i loved my 2020 M3P. best car, most satisfying car ever, in 30 years of BMW 1 & 3 series, Audi A4, S4, S3, Q7, Hondas, Acura, Subaru ownership.... i was shocked. But the 2024 is a massive improvement ( and hopefully just as reliable) over the 2020 M3P

Yeah I'm really struggling if I want to spend the money to get the front bumper area PPF or not. I tend to own my cars for a minimum of 10 years and assume basically a 100% loss in value. So the only reason I would get it done is to keep the car looking nicer for myself a bit longer. But that's also spending money that could be otherwise generating me return. I feel like I'm already taking a big net worth hit just by paying cash for this car (it's most expensive car I've ever purchased). I'm really struggling with whether or not I should throw away a little more on front end PPF, or just cut my losses here.
absolutely,
i will never put thousands into a wrap unless it is equivalent to a drop in the bucket for me.
i was contemplating on only doin the front bumper PPF, just literally decided to do it today cause i found a shop that will do it for a reasonable price. i was gonna just leave it, like my 2020 M3P, with after 3,.75 yrs of nj/NYC driving, only had under 10 paint chips that i covered up with touchup paint. over 30+ yrs of new car ownership, no dealer or buyer has ever mentioned paint chips to lower the appraisal. it's normal wear and tear.

Updated EDD 6/16: Aug 24 - Oct 6

:(
IMG_3124.jpeg

Maybe Tesla should update their website and overshoot on purpose.

• Informative
Reactions: dd_720 and bmil03
I wonder what's up with TeslaFi. I've been a member since 2021 and updated it with my M3P on June 6 yet my car doesn't show. I checked my settings and made sure the share box is checked but I don't see why mine is not included. Everything works for me but my car isn't listed when you filter it to "3 Highland Performance". Also checked to make sure under "Vehicle" it actually shows as Model 3 Highland Performance... and it does.
I put in a few tickets, one just to get the M3P Highland on the software dropdown list. That was activated 9 hours ago. They are also working on adding ventilated seats to the controls.

All that to say, they just added it so they might be working it? They are pretty responsive to tickets.

Edit: Right now the M3P Highland leaderboard page won't even load. Maybe they are working on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyC
I have VIN now, so I am about to switch from "cash" to financing. Two questions...

1) What financing rates are people typically getting? I have around an 800 credit score. Trying to get an idea what my % will be
2) How soon after doing the financing stuff in the APP does it go through and you get your offer? Does it instantly run your credit and provide you with an offer?

Thanks.
6.49 I believe is the current rate with Tesla (Chase Bank). If you apply, your credit is run immediately and if it can auto decision it will approve you in a few minutes.

I thought PPF was a bit of a gimmick. Then my buddy bought a 2015 S, it looked nearly brand new on the front. Couldn't believe it.

Honestly ppf is overpriced af and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. But I still go ahead and get full body ppf myself. No paint swirls from those fast winter cleanings and just knowing the car underneath is pristine helps me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Another example is my phone has AppleCare+ on it but I still put a screen protector on it anyway lol

i totally understand. i loved my 2020 M3P. best car, most satisfying car ever, in 30 years of BMW 1 & 3 series, Audi A4, S4, S3, Q7, Hondas, Acura, Subaru ownership.... i was shocked. But the 2024 is a massive improvement ( and hopefully just as reliable) over the 2020 M3P
This is why I have one on order. I love my 2020 M3P but there were just a few things I found myself wishing they had done better. Now the 2024 hits all those marks for me.

My old m3p has about 15000 miles. Have owned it for a year and few months. The first thing I did was get a front lip and mudguards. Garaged the car all the time and may be washed it every three months or so. I also live in northeast where road salts are part of life. I have gone through four tires because of potholes and 3 bent rims. I dont have a single rock chip or paint defect on my car. It looks brand spanking new every time I wash it. To me PPF is just a waste of money. I am pretty sure if I drove the car for 5 years it will have some imperfection but that will be considered a normal wear and tear and wont effect the value of a five year old car at all. I totally understand people love their cars and want their car to look perfect all the time by protecting it with PPF. It is just not me.

Reactions: eric135i
Buy yourself touch up paint from Tesla for <$100 and it will be as good at front end PFF. Perhaps some folks are hyper aware of other people's vehicles, but I have never once in my life looked at someone's hood and noticed tiny little rock chips. Hell I don't even noticed them on my 8 yr old vehicles unless I'm hand washing them. So in the end, you'd strictly be spending the money on PFF for yourself as less than 0.0001% of people will ever notice.
agree 100%.
that what happened to me.
not one person/dealer ever mentioned paint chips when i returned a lease or sold a car to a dealer. NEVER. it's considered normal wear and tear.