Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An update for anyone else who might have had a scheduled delivery this weekend postponed:
I was supposed to get the car in Burbank this morning but they pushed to Monday via text yesterday. The scheduled delivery in the app also changed, but then it disappeared to nothing today around noon. I stopped by the service center and talked to someone about the issue, and they said while the firmware update is indeed being pushed out to service centers, it is done in batches and some of our cars that are on site were not in that first batch. They have no way of knowing what batch or when the car will update, so they are going to continue rolling the delivery delay until that process is done. Disappointing. It's the unmet expectations that are the hardest when you're relying on their word that something will be done. I guess this is just how it is with Tesla? I'm coming from the world of Porsche and Audi, and can see why the price to performance is so competitive! Tesla is definitely not spending any money on service 😄
That's kinda crazy to me that they'd batch it versus just pushing to all of the M3P's that have been produced (which aren't that many). This is a standard branch build that went out to other parts of the overall Tesla fleet starting 2 days ago.
That sucks on the delays, definitely feel for you guys!

An update for anyone else who might have had a scheduled delivery this weekend postponed:
I was supposed to get the car in Burbank this morning but they pushed to Monday via text yesterday. The scheduled delivery in the app also changed, but then it disappeared to nothing today around noon. I stopped by the service center and talked to someone about the issue, and they said while the firmware update is indeed being pushed out to service centers, it is done in batches and some of our cars that are on site were not in that first batch. They have no way of knowing what batch or when the car will update, so they are going to continue rolling the delivery delay until that process is done. Disappointing. It's the unmet expectations that are the hardest when you're relying on their word that something will be done. I guess this is just how it is with Tesla? I'm coming from the world of Porsche and Audi, and can see why the price to performance is so competitive! Tesla is definitely not spending any money on service 😄
Fellow Burbank delivery here also rescheduled for Monday. I texted earlier today to see if the delivery situation had changed but haven't gotten a response, so I appreciate you providing the update. Seriously looking forward to spending time with the car ripping up Angeles Crest!

Reactions: A_X_Mxyplyzk
I think it is crazy but at least you are getting better response than I am the Indianapolis team are only saying they are waiting to hear from their engineering team and no update was pushed today :(

Fellow Burbank delivery here also rescheduled for Monday. I texted earlier today to see if the delivery situation had changed but haven't gotten a response, so I appreciate you providing the update. Seriously looking forward to spending time with the car ripping up Angeles Crest!
Lol that is EXACTLY my plan once I am behind the wheel and off the lot. Take the 5 to the 134 to the 2 (SNL reference, yes) and jump into the twisties from there! I just wish Newcomb's Ranch was still open 😢

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: xianking and eeeric
While I agree the customer service is not on par, I would expect similar issues with delivery of any brand new, highly anticipated, freshly announced car. Try getting your hands on a Porsche 911S/T. I actually prefer this buying experience over any other I have had. But then again this one and my other M3P are the inly cars i have “ordered”.

Last edited:
Mesa for me, and for one other guy on here. We were the first 2 at the center. I knew I would be, in that I arrived an hour early. Very smooth process with the Trade in (bunch of AZDOT forms to sign), but they were all pre-filled and was super simple.
Using the App to accept the car was really sweet!
My trade offer expired today (2020 M3P) so probably sell it private party since I fear Tesla will lower it if I run it agai.

Nope not my first Tesla. Agree the regen (one pedal) braking is something I was used to. Although my old one I could set it to "Slow and Roll" or something like that - allow regen to slow it down, but it wouldn't come to a full stop. The new one, no such option. It forced a full stop.

And calling the braking power (right now) "a bit lacking" is generous. My opinion, this rises to the level of "If I had to hit the brakes in a panic stop, it wouldn't stop".
I had heard that the got rid of the brake creep function, but I never used it. Interesting info on the brakes though, thanks.

Wonder if they know you:
  • Should be on WiFi
  • Should have at least 3 bars of signal
  • Better to be plugged in and charging
  • Open the controls and tap "Software"
  • Scroll down to see "Checking for updates"
  • If it says you are up to date, it won't check again (through the menu) for 24 hours: repeat 24 hours later. else
  • New version should download
  • Give it an hour or so
  • Go back and install
Nah. These are service centers. Surely they know all this.

🤣

And again, you'd think service centers would have a way to force a download. Staggering updates on a handful of M3Ps also doesn't make sense so that seems like a big miss on Tesla's part. To have cars sitting at SC's all over the country, exposed to the elements and this time of year, potential hail, storms, battery drain, etc.

Mike

Wonder if they know you:
  • Should be on WiFi
  • Should have at least 3 bars of signal
  • Better to be plugged in and charging
  • Open the controls and tap "Software"
  • Scroll down to see "Checking for updates"
  • If it says you are up to date, it won't check again (through the menu) for 24 hours: repeat 24 hours later. else
  • New version should download
  • Give it an hour or so
  • Go back and install
Nah. These are service centers. Surely they know all this.

🤣

And again, you'd think service centers would have a way to force a download.

Mike
I think the real reason is that the service center is absolutely swamped with people picking up standard Highlands and Model Y's after the .99% financing bonanza. That place was a total zoo. I think they just haven't gotten to the M3P's yet and it's just an irrefutable story to placate excited customers. I think Tesla is going to blow Q2/Q3 deliveries (and hopefully earnings) out of the water, and for that I can wait my turn since I am long Tesla and have been buying this dip like mad.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Is this your first Tesla? I hardly use the brakes on mine and when i drive i pray for the lights to turn red. But that being said, the brakes are a bit lacking if you use them. I think for me the turn singal thing will take some getting used to.
They changed the material in the pad to a track focused pad, they probably need to warm up a bit. That's how the track pack was before with the pads.

I had heard that the got rid of the brake creep function, but I never used it. Interesting info on the brakes though, thanks.
I might be confusing terms, but I think Brake Creep was where it imitated an ICE car and started to creep forward.
They also used to have setting that effectively either
1. Regen braking to a slow speed, then it kinda coasted and you had to hit the real brake
2. Car auto comes to a full and complete stop (and engages brake hold)

#2 now seems to be the only choice. I don’t know if that’s specific to all Highlands, only the Performance, or what. My 2018 M3 had the options. 2024 has no choices. I went a bit crazy looking.

Nope not my first Tesla. Agree the regen (one pedal) braking is something I was used to. Although my old one I could set it to "Slow and Roll" or something like that - allow regen to slow it down, but it wouldn't come to a full stop. The new one, no such option. It forced a full stop.

And calling the braking power (right now) "a bit lacking" is generous. My opinion, this rises to the level of "If I had to hit the brakes in a panic stop, it wouldn't stop".
I had same feeling when I test drove the LR one couple weeks ago, the brake panel feels stiff... In your opinion, do you feel this one have weaker brake than previous M3?

I had same feeling when I test drove the LR one couple weeks ago, the brake panel feels stiff... In your opinion, do you feel this one have weaker brake than previous M3?
In my (completely non expert) opinion, this is absolutely weaker brakes than my 2018 M3 had. I never drove any previous performance versions with the red calipers to have a comparison in mind there.
But given how much Tesla is touting the brake strength, let’s say I don’t understand why or how.

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd