Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That 1.66 Demon is so misleading, no one will come close to that if we’re being

You need a perfect launch on a prepped strip. The Plaid will just about do it in the rain while your kid is sucking on an ice-cream cone.
This made me chuckle. Right when I got my 2020 M3P I was coming home from Trader Joe’s, wife up front, kids in back. At the light and an SRT pulls next to me smoking his tires. I know this is bad but the girls love “rocket speed” as they called it, so they encouraged me to punch it. Now I don’t know for sure if that Hellcat was supposed to beat me, but I know he couldn’t put down the power and I left him in the dust while snacking on cheesy poofs

tldr: Not having stalks is horrible, everything else is awesome as expected.

Just took delivery today and figured I would do my part and give some feedback.

My first Tesla was a 2020 M3P Blue with White, loved the car to death and was sad when I had to return the lease but timing (kind of) worked out and I waited for this new model to come out to finally place an order. Placed it 1 min after the announcement and had to push back my delivery a few days but finally took it today.

Delivery experience was smooth like always, 10 mins to get into the car and out the lot.

So far the car is 10/10 build wise, not one gap or rattle that I can notice, paint is OK like usual (red is the best looking quality wise after seeing one in person) but I love this dark grey color after seeing it in person. One thing that surprised me is they added a little tab at the underside of each door that latches into the car, apparently making it safer.

First thing I did was obviously change it to insane mode to make sure it is only driven that way and was nice to have the FSD trial straight off the lot.

Now for the drive, first thing I immediately noticed was it was way smoother than the old M3P, just going at low speeds and the turning out of the lot felt a lot more solid, I think the steering wheel has a little more weight to it even on standard mode. Next thing was how damn quiet it was inside. This is the biggest improvement I think with the new models, and I have yet to try it on the highway which will be the true test but so far this is 5x better than the last M3P sound wise. Soundsystem is also better with them adding one more sub and more speakers, over all the interior is awesome including the ambient light, I didnt notice it reflecting on anything but havent tinted my windows yet.

Now, the seats. This was something I was most looking forward to and so far... I don't know how I feel. I've had other sports cars like an S4 with comfy bucket seats. I was pleasantly surprised when I went from bucket seats to non for the 2020 M3P but I ended up loving those seats. They were in my opinion, super comfortable and even more comfortable than these new bucket seats but will give it some time, only had 30 mins in the car so far. My main complaint is the higher bolster on the bottom of the seats makes getting in and out slightly more uncomfortable, before you could just slide into your seat, but now, you kind of have to climb in. I'm assuming the seats are something I'll quickly get used to and love because they do look great, but those are my initial impressions, just being as honest as possible in this (30 mins in) review.

After taking a quick right out of the lot I was presented with a long road with no traffic so of course had to give it some power (or all of it, battery was at 65% I think). Definitely a nice improvement from the last M3P and I actually noticed a tiny bit of wheel spin or loss of traction, almost like these tires couldn't handle all of the power but the biggest difference is in the top end. Just where you expect it to trail off it keeps going for another half second or so. So its not a huge difference in terms of speed when compared to the last M3P but it does feel more refined and sharper if that makes sense. Felt like I was driving a hot knife through butter, the last m3p had the speed but now I think it has the quickness in handling which makes it even more fun.

Now comes the part I hate, and yes, I am going to say HATE. No stalks... I'll give it some time to see if I get used to it, but this is such a problem, that if I test drove this car, I honestly would have to have serious second thoughts about it. I always knew people talked about taking the stalks aways being a bad decision, but I didn't think it would be this bad...

I can't use my blinkers, at all. I am sure (or hoping) the muscle memory will get there, but just driving 10 miles home, I was having to straight up ignore using my signals because of how bad it was. Using a blinker is a split second decision, I had to think about what to do every time I wanted to use a blinker which was honestly just distracting, so for now I'll forgo using them (lol).

Even worse is removing the stalk to put the car in park/drive/reverse. I do 3 point turns and back into my spot every day, it was the easiest thing ever with my 2020 M3P with stalks. I just got home and tried with my new car and it was absolutely horrendous. Having to hold my hand near the screen and awkwardly flick my finger backwards and forwards, and then the worst part.. holding the screen to park... really tesla???

I am seriously in disbelief about this decision, and I hate to be a downer on this amazing car, but I would honestly like to know, do you just get used to it, or is it as bad as I think it is. I know there is an option to auto select drive, which I'm using, but that aint' it either. Maybe it is something they can improve, or hell, just let me select drive and reverse with my scroll wheel. Anything but the current solution. I'm all ears though on what other people think or how they deal with it.

So yeah, the car is great as expected, a big improvement over the last one over all. But removing the stalks takes this from a 10/10 to a 8/10 so far. Yes, its that bad.

I am going to tint my windows 20% all around and 50% windshield, I hope I don't regret going to dark on the windshield but want to try it. Also might lightly tint the headlights and taillights (unless that is stupid and will be unsafe) to get a more stealthy look.

Anyways, look forward to the good times with this car...roadster next?

IMG_7605 (1).jpg

There’s someone on the sheet who ordered 5/21 in LA and got a VIN on 5/24… How’s that even possible we have the same config and I ordered more than a month ago 😭
Because these VINs make absolutely no sense. I have had people who ordered the same day as me, same config, get a VIN weeks ago when I still don't have one. Have also had several people get VINS who ordered over a week after me at a pickup location 2 hours from me. Then randomly you will see someone order the same config as you last week near Fremont and they'll have delivery within a week. Its beyond obvious that they are not prioritizing order dates in any way, shape or form. I think they're just focusing on offloading these vehicles the fastest and cheapest way possible.

Just got mine. I have to first start off by saying Tesla of Libertyville, IL was just above and beyond amazing. Completely luxurious experience dealing with a guy named David there. Wow.

Anyway some small notes;

Turn signals are the easiest thing to press and get used to. I’m astounded that people are having difficulty with them, especially with “finding the spot to press” as it’s literally the entire section that you can press.

Swipe up and down for gear selection is also crazy well done. You just have to gesture anywhere in the area and it works perfectly. It’s not like you have to grab the car icon and strategically glide it up. It’s extremely well programmed and intuitive.

Acceleration wise; I haven’t gotten much time to go above 60~ but I’m surprised how it feels. It almost feels less fast than the older M3 because it’s so much less rowdy. I’ll have to get used to how smooth it is. The front end doesn’t lift up at all to give you that rambunctious over powered feeling that I’ll admit I did like. The car feels like it was designed properly for the power it has. It’s dramatically more composed in every way. Feels like a completely different car.

Oh, and the coolest seats — I don’t get why people can say they barely feel them. The max setting is awesome but you definitely hear it. I set it down to level 1 for minimal audibility.

Stereo wise — I don’t listen to music in the car as I never drive long distances. But as someone who is as much of an “audiophile” as can be (literally own a high end stereo / home theater store); I will say that based on some initial listening, the sub setting should be pretty much all the way down. It’s super boomy and seems to be set up to add bass rather than extend the response down low. Will post more on this later if anyone cares. 😂
Any audio analysis or a picture of a recommended EQ setup would be super super cool!

You need a perfect launch on a prepped strip. The Plaid will just about do it in the rain while your kid is sucking on an ice-cream cone.
To be fair, the plaid needs the same prepped strip, optimized battery temps, and cheetah mode to hit its advertised 1.99 0-60 as well. I think what you’re saying is the drop off from that advertised time isn’t as significant as ICE cars because it can hit 2.1-2.2 0-60 anytime on the streets.

Because these VINs make absolutely no sense. I have had people who ordered the same day as me, same config, get a VIN weeks ago when I still don't have one. Have also had several people get VINS who ordered over a week after me at a pickup location 2 hours from me. Then randomly you will see someone order the same config as you last week near Fremont and they'll have delivery within a week. Its beyond obvious that they are not prioritizing order dates in any way, shape or form. I think they're just focusing on offloading these vehicles the fastest and cheapest way possible.
I would imagine the logistics, locations, trims, and volumes would make managing a proper “next in line system” nearly impossible. They likely don’t even try initially.

Reactions: bolduser31
I think cash payment has something to do with it. Would make sense for them to prioritize cash orders prior to quarter end. Kicking myself for not choosing cash now ha

To be fair, the plaid needs the same prepped strip, optimized battery temps, and cheetah mode to hit its advertised 1.99 0-60 as well. I think what you’re saying is the drop off from that advertised time isn’t as significant as ICE cars because it can hit 2.1-2.2 0-60 anytime on the streets.
I dont even think the Demon is in the 2's in the street lol

Yeah, a small exaggeration to make a point. A Demon would sit in spin in these conditions.

I would imagine the logistics, locations, trims, and volumes would make managing a proper “next in line system” nearly impossible. They likely don’t even try initially.
I think most people can agree that expecting Tesla to 100% prioritize VINs by order date/time is unrealistic. I don't think that's what is making most people frustrated. I think it's more so HOW drastic these differences are. When you ordered within hours of the day of the release and then someone near Fremont orders over 1 month later (with the same config) and takes delivery within a week, that's just a smack in the face lol. If you look at the tracker, looks like 95% of people who have actually taken delivery are in Ca. Meanwhile, right when they release the new M3P, they decide to offer a 0.99% interest deal on Model Ys which even further delays M3P deliveries. Its just a very interesting situation.

I think cash payment has something to do with it. Would make sense for them to prioritize cash orders prior to quarter end. Kicking myself for not choosing cash now ha
I have heard that selecting "cash" may impact it. I also originally had financing selected originally, but I ended up switching to "cash" a few weeks ago, and it hasn't seemed to make any difference. My EDD was 5/30-6/13, thought I was going to get a VIN, then got switched to 7/15-8/19 about 5 days ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: Andrés Ornelas
For me it's less about preserving resale value (though it can probably boost the selling price maybe $1-2K if selling third party), or even preserving paint quality, but more about giving me the ability to change up the look a bit and customize and stand out just a touch and make the car feel a bit more special and personal. For my red 2018 LR, I did one of the first red stealth wraps I know of, and stealth red is just an incredible look, and surprisingly to this day is quite rare to see. It heightens the line sharpness, makes the car look a lot more aggressive. Tinting, smoked headlights, and a brushed steel chrome delete and rocker panel detail all worked along with the stealth wrap to bring my vision to life. Even now, I personally still think my car is one of the sexiest original Model 3s on the road. Sleek and sporty and great mix of color combination without being *too* flashy or gaudy. Can't wait to put my personal stamp on this new M3P!
totally agree. Wrapped my 2020 M3P in xpel stealth. Loved that i was the only matte white Model 3 that I saw in a daily basis. Plus getting showered with rocks didn’t tear up my bumper.

Last edited:
As someone who has driven a Model X for the last year, don't worry about the lack of stalks.

There's two ways to look at this issue: as a rental car, or as a car you own.

As a rental car, yes, lack of stalks is different and would be annoying.

As a car you own, you get used to it very quickly. Even my non-paying-attention-to-anything wife thought the turn signals were super simple and it was a complete non-issue for her. Let me be very clear, if the stalk removal was a paid option -- at least for turn signals, I would pay to remove it. Using a button with your thumb is nicer than the more exaggerated motion to hit the stalk.

For the gear selector, I do prefer a stalk. Tesla has changed the programming a bit over the last year though and made the hit target much easier to swipe. I also like just having to hit the brake 90% of the time and the car will pick the right direction. The only real issue I have with gear selector on the screen is when you need to do a quick 3 point or K turn. Being able to focus on the rear view camera or what's in front of you while shifting gear by feel with the stalk is superior. With the screen gear selector you usually have to at least glance at it to get the swipe.