Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah they shouldn’t but they are sadly! Besides a wire coat hanger defeats the door opener as well.
If it's a newer bidirectional communicating one it shouldn't be vulnerable to jamming delay attacks and if it's well fit with a well designed release, it should be pretty hard to defeat with a hanger. Easier to just defeat the front door locks or smash a side or rear window.

Anyone whose taken delivery, can you confirm that floor mats for "2024 Highland" fit the performance? I assume they will but with the seat change, looking to make sure before ordering.
Yes, they're the same. If they weren't, Tesla would have already released the M3P-specific ones in their online store.

edit: I have not taken delivery

And thank God for that. That process is what all other mfg’s use. It sucks, it’s a ridiculous game, and it’s frustrating. I’m thankful Tesla abandoned that part of buying a car.
Yep, agreed. Last time I bought a car (granted that was 12 years ago), my wife and I were in with the sales guy and he did his thing, back and forth, blah blah. “Let me call the sales manager” put him on speaker, then the manager said to sales guy, “come over to my office to talk about it”. Sales guy pretended to hang up the speaker phone and left. I noticed the call light was still on, pointed to it and rolled my eyes at my wife. They were literally on mute in the managers office listening to us talk about it. 🙄. Worked out for us since I noticed, so I just told my wife - “I’m tired of this. Our number is X I’m not doing any more, and frankly I’m ready to walk out of here.”
Magically sales guy appears back and says good news! We can offer (X plus 2%). I said no, X. Signed and went. The whole thing was just such a production.

That must be a very, very new (like this year) policy, since previously it was roughly 3 days, and definitely not longer than a week. Previously if you needed longer than a week, they would unmatch you from the vehicle and assign it to someone else, and then put your account on hold until you came back, then match you with a (different) car then.

I would be extremely interested to hear from anyone who successfully gets tesla to wait that long on a vehicle pickup of the same vin because they are not available. Note that I dont mean them telling you they can do it, I mean someone actually getting them to do it. Unfortunately, Tesla is fairly notorious for sales reps promising stuff they sometimes cant deliver on... just like every other car dealer does.

The one time I got ahold of a rep, they also mentioned being able to do a 14 day hold.

Right? Don't you miss the days you could walk in the dealership and spend 8 hours haggling and playing mind games with your favorite salesperson who constantly needs to go back and "talk" to their sales manager and then have you talk to the finance guy to hook you up with an ultra low APR. Man just talking about it is making me depressed, now I got to deal with Tesla's lame system of be in and out in 15 mins or even a no contact delivery. You're right, it blows!
I agree 100% on the price of the car, no haggle is excellent. But finance rates are a different story....

82252.jpeg

82247.jpeg

I took delivery of my car yesterday! Wow, what a blast yesterday driving this car around. I won't bore everyone with the same "it's fast" stuff you heard so i won't go much into that. But I'll try and go over a few things that i haven't heard much about yet you'll want to know:

1) When going through your delivery checklist, the part where it gets to "inspect that the USB drive is plugged into the back of the glove box". Just note that if you decide to unplug it and just look at it for no good reason like me, be prepared to take another 5 minutes in trying to plug it back in. That glove box is so shallow top to bottom that i couldn't get my hand all the way to the back to plug it back in! Now I'm not a big dude, 6'0 195, smaller framed body type, if anything smaller framed compared to other dudes my size. But man i felt like i needed a shot of Ozempic to get my hand back there to get that plugged in. I got my hands back to a point where they were just wedged in there and then i had to use just my fingers to finesse that thing forward and back, left to right to eventually back into the slot. And it's USB-A so if you don't check first orientation then you'll have a 50/50 chance at that. The SA came out while i was fumbling with it and knew already what i was having issues with and he said yeah, everyone has had some degree of issues getting it back in, interesting spot the engineers decided to put that USB drive.

The drive home was great. Everything everybody says about how quick/ fast this car is, i can mirror that sentiment. Yes it's quick, and yes it's fast. My previous car was a BMW M240i and before that a E92 M3. Those cars are 0-60 in low 4's. This car would destroy either of those cars from a stop or at speed. But there are more similarities in ride and handling to those cars.

Steering feel: i did not notice a change in response when changing the steering feel from the 3 settings, just an increase is in firmness so i left it in the lightest or standard setting. I know changing that isn't going to change any steering geometry/ratio, so i only tested the 3 settings but left it mostly in the lightest or medium "standard" setting. M3P steering compared to my previous M3, the M3 was better with a more progressive feel and road feedback that this car doesn't have. The M3 does have a hydraulic rack so to be expected. My M3 had the best steering feel out of any car I've ever driven in my life. (I'm 52 and have driven a ton of cars over my life). But with my previous M240i, BMW ditched the hydraulic rack and changed to a electronic rack and for me it lost all of what i was used to with the M3. Electronic assisted rack in the M3P felt the same to me as the M240i.

Handling: didn't have an opportunity to really push it cornering but i liked the ride in both sport and standard. Sport felt a little less jarring and less skitzo and a little more controlled than either of my BMW's when they were in their firmest suspension setting. Standard setting felt great for a "standard setting" More composed but still no floatiness that may be attributed with with other cars with adjustable suspension. For aggressive street, I do feel like this car can be taken to the next level with a set springs to drop it another 1" and a set of sway bars. But the electronic controlled dampers are really good in this car, i'm sure others will swap in coilovers for the track, sure. But for street, this car doesn't need much more, IMHO.

Acceleration setting: I drove around mostly in the Insane setting and switched only to the chill setting for a short time to see if there was really any light throttle response differences. We all know there is are top speed limits with these settings but i wanted to know if there are differences in stop and go traffic situations. And i definitely could tell with light throttle acceleration in Insane mode needs slightly more finesse to manage a slow take off than chill is. Not that you can't make the car take off like a gradma in Insane, you can but takes just a little more thought than in chill mode. But i was ok with that and just left it in Insane as i always wanted access to the fastest this car can accelerate at any time so Insane is the only way to go. And in time your brain will adjust and you'll be able to modulate the throttle better for slow takeoffs without thinking about it.

Seats: For me the seats were great. Fit me like a glove but still compliant. I've heard a few reviews of people not liking them. I guess it's subjective depending on body type and what you're used to. Coming from BMW sport seats, I felt like i was back in a familiar place.

Cabin noise: what noise. So quiet. Which i like cause with most people, we listen to tunes or talk radio, or podcasts. All of that is easier in a quiet cabin. Whoever the reviewers are that rate this car down compared to the IONIQ 5N because there are no fake engine sounds should have their media cards taken away. And i LOVE engine and exhaust noise. My M3 with its S65 V8 made the most amazing sound out of the exhaust at 8k RPM. But this is not that car. I didn't even like the fake engine sounds that BMW pipes into their modern M cars. My M240i had that and i hated it, i had to bypass it with an add in module.

Stereo: this cars sound really does kick ass. And this is coming from someone who has always ripped out factory systems and has wired up my own. Wiring up amps whether going with two way with passive x-over components or configuring multi amp and going 3-way active with the electronic x-over route and the constant never ending tuning - this car has me thinking why bother with all of that. I do have some AudioFrog tweeters and 4" drivers left over from my BMW i may swap in at a later date and let the factory amps/processing drive them. Yes, the sub is a little uncontrolled at times (boomy) but the cool thing is you can dial the sub level independently from the frequency adjustments you have with the 6 band graphic EQ. Better than any BMW I've heard and better than our Mazda CX9 which has the premium Bose sound system.

That's it for now! So hopefully this doesn't get people more angry for waiting. Just be patient that the wait will be worth it.

My .02, for the money nothing touches this car.

View attachment 1052859
View attachment 1052860

I took delivery of my car yesterday! Wow, what a blast yesterday driving this car around. I won't bore everyone with the same "it's fast" stuff you heard so i won't go much into that. But I'll try and go over a few things that i haven't heard much about yet you'll want to know:

1) When going through your delivery checklist, the part where it gets to "inspect that the USB drive is plugged into the back of the glove box". Just note that if you decide to unplug it and just look at it for no good reason like me, be prepared to take another 5 minutes in trying to plug it back in. That glove box is so shallow top to bottom that i couldn't get my hand all the way to the back to plug it back in! Now I'm not a big dude, 6'0 195, smaller framed body type, if anything smaller framed compared to other dudes my size. But man i felt like i needed a shot of Ozempic to get my hand back there to get that plugged in. I got my hands back to a point where they were just wedged in there and then i had to use just my fingers to finesse that thing forward and back, left to right to eventually back into the slot. And it's USB-A so if you don't check first orientation then you'll have a 50/50 chance at that. The SA came out while i was fumbling with it and knew already what i was having issues with and he said yeah, everyone has had some degree of issues getting it back in, interesting spot the engineers decided to put that USB drive.

The drive home was great. Everything everybody says about how quick/ fast this car is, i can mirror that sentiment. Yes it's quick, and yes it's fast. My previous car was a BMW M240i and before that a E92 M3. Those cars are 0-60 in low 4's. This car would destroy either of those cars from a stop or at speed. But there are more similarities in ride and handling to those cars.

Steering feel: i did not notice a change in response when changing the steering feel from the 3 settings, just an increase is in firmness so i left it in the lightest or standard setting. I know changing that isn't going to change any steering geometry/ratio, so i only tested the 3 settings but left it mostly in the lightest or medium "standard" setting. M3P steering compared to my previous M3, the M3 was better with a more progressive feel and road feedback that this car doesn't have. The M3 does have a hydraulic rack so to be expected. My M3 had the best steering feel out of any car I've ever driven in my life. (I'm 52 and have driven a ton of cars over my life). But with my previous M240i, BMW ditched the hydraulic rack and changed to a electronic rack and for me it lost all of what i was used to with the M3. Electronic assisted rack in the M3P felt the same to me as the M240i.

Handling: didn't have an opportunity to really push it cornering but i liked the ride in both sport and standard. Sport felt a little less jarring and less skitzo and a little more controlled than either of my BMW's when they were in their firmest suspension setting. Standard setting felt great for a "standard setting" More composed but still no floatiness that may be attributed with with other cars with adjustable suspension. For aggressive street, I do feel like this car can be taken to the next level with a set springs to drop it another 1" and a set of sway bars. But the electronic controlled dampers are really good in this car, i'm sure others will swap in coilovers for the track, sure. But for street, this car doesn't need much more, IMHO.

Acceleration setting: I drove around mostly in the Insane setting and switched only to the chill setting for a short time to see if there was really any light throttle response differences. We all know there is are top speed limits with these settings but i wanted to know if there are differences in stop and go traffic situations. And i definitely could tell with light throttle acceleration in Insane mode needs slightly more finesse to manage a slow take off than chill is. Not that you can't make the car take off like a gradma in Insane, you can but takes just a little more thought than in chill mode. But i was ok with that and just left it in Insane as i always wanted access to the fastest this car can accelerate at any time so Insane is the only way to go. And in time your brain will adjust and you'll be able to modulate the throttle better for slow takeoffs without thinking about it.

Seats: For me the seats were great. Fit me like a glove but still compliant. I've heard a few reviews of people not liking them. I guess it's subjective depending on body type and what you're used to. Coming from BMW sport seats, I felt like i was back in a familiar place.

Cabin noise: what noise. So quiet. Which i like cause with most people, we listen to tunes or talk radio, or podcasts. All of that is easier in a quiet cabin. Whoever the reviewers are that rate this car down compared to the IONIQ 5N because there are no fake engine sounds should have their media cards taken away. And i LOVE engine and exhaust noise. My M3 with its S65 V8 made the most amazing sound out of the exhaust at 8k RPM. But this is not that car. I didn't even like the fake engine sounds that BMW pipes into their modern M cars. My M240i had that and i hated it, i had to bypass it with an add in module.

Stereo: this cars sound really does kick ass. And this is coming from someone who has always ripped out factory systems and has wired up my own. Wiring up amps whether going with two way with passive x-over components or configuring multi amp and going 3-way active with the electronic x-over route and the constant never ending tuning - this car has me thinking why bother with all of that. I do have some AudioFrog tweeters and 4" drivers left over from my BMW i may swap in at a later date and let the factory amps/processing drive them. Yes, the sub is a little uncontrolled at times (boomy) but the cool thing is you can dial the sub level independently from the frequency adjustments you have with the 6 band graphic EQ. Better than any BMW I've heard and better than our Mazda CX9 which has the premium Bose sound system.

That's it for now! So hopefully this doesn't get people more angry for waiting. Just be patient that the wait will be worth it.

My .02, for the money nothing touches this car.

Thanks for your thoughts! I visited a showroom and played around with their demo model. No test drive unfortunately so I only have interior impressions. I must say the indicator buttons are perfectly fine and satisfying to click. I have no words for the folks complaining about not being able to find the buttons and needing more feedback. Unless you're missing a left arm, the buttons are easy to access. I was on a plane ride the other day and saw an older gentleman whip out a newspaper and a magnifying glass to read it. I think this distinguished looking individual, who may not be the most tech savvy, could quickly get used to the interface and lack of stalks.

Just goes to show how subjective these opinions are. The steering wheel is thick and girthy, the sport seats are highly adjustable, and the side bolsters make it much more supportive than the previous design. Overall the cabin feels more polished and comfortable. The UI and software was snappy and responsive. I'm most curious about the driving dynamics, but the interior alone is a nice upgrade for anyone coming from a previous m3p.

Reactions: Dayreg and jv92red
If it's a newer bidirectional communicating one it shouldn't be vulnerable to jamming delay attacks and if it's well fit with a well designed release, it should be pretty hard to defeat with a hanger. Easier to just defeat the front door locks or smash a side or rear window.
My argument is it’s easier to secure entry doors and even windows than it is garage doors, but we’re getting off topic here!

Reactions: Andrés Ornelas