Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: jose3030
guess this matches what we’ve been seeing all week…

I mean I tried saying over the past few days we were getting a very out of the ordinary low amount of VINS and pretty much was told I was complaining (okay I was complaining some). But something is up lol. Over Tuesday-Thursday last week there was somewhere around ~50 VINS given out. Around 22 VINS alone just last Thursday. According to the tracker, over the past 3 days we have had 3 VINs. Zero today compared to last Thursday's 22.

I am just saying it's odd, especially with Q2 coming to an end while they continue to offer new low interest deals on all the models other than M3P which is going to lead to more orders and further delay in M3P deliveries lol.

so I’m curious if changing my color to blue from SG would get me it sooner. My Tesla advisor confirmed I won’t lose my spot in the queue because I don’t have a VIN yet I just know that like 60% (of the ones on the tracker sheet) were SG because after the second price update you could only do one of the other exterior or interior color. Thoughts?
As a day one blue order I have gotten no love in Edd or VIN. Don't add more pressure to the few waiting for blue. Only kidding.... A little. ;-)

joking aside. I believe the SG will get the priority as it is easier to produce everything one color. less paint shop changes cheaper to punch out more. old Q2 margin number bump. I am sure that's why they upped the price but gave white option to appease the masses. Presumably white material doesn't cost more. Then only has variability in final assembly in what parts you bolt on. Not touchy paint, sprayers, booths, ovens..

Reactions: Tylerjk019
My educated professional expert I'm always right factual not a guess statement is,

1. It was highly anticipated that the Model 3 refresh Highland would switch to a structural battery pack and use mega castings, similar to how the Model Y was built, which never happened. They could be making that switch now.

2. Model Y Juniper is coming sooner than everyone thought and this is the start of it. In the video, the guys friend, did say "they are working on something different" but can't say what.

• Funny
Reactions: jaroby
Here's my theory on why the Bay Area customers are getting late June EDDs and why others further away have received their cars.

Assumptions
1. Tesla is trying to reach their Q2 revenue goal.
2. Telsla can only recognize their vehicle revenue when a customer has taken possession of their car (not just paid for it).

Then the most logical way to allocate cars is to first ship cars the furthest away from Fremont, CA allowing for travel time. Then at the very end of June, they can produce cars and Bay Area customers take possession of them within one or two days (because there is no travel time.)

If my theory is correct, I'll be on the late end of my 6/18-6/30 EDD.
I like it, unfortunately Florida EDDs and vins are not supporting the theory. :-(

Last edited:
Hm thanks for the feedback! So looks like it could mean something or completely mean nothing haha
Yeah, 'Expected' isn't concrete, even as much as we wish it was. In 2024 we might think that a company building something like this would have a bit more accuracy about such things, but... some businesses try to remain flexible/fluid, and unfortunately that means in 'expected' delivery/build dates and such.

I admit, I think it's been fascinating watching all of this since April. Wildly-bouncing EDD's, surprise VINs, and so on. It has been entertaining. :)

Reactions: bolduser31
I picked up today at the Chicago South Loop SC. Great experience, they're very well organized. I did Everyday Chris's full checklist (well done!) and found one small, light scratch on the back L pillar that they buffed out quickly. Everything else, panel gaps, etc were spot on. Drove home at about 5 mph because of rush hour traffic, so I really got to experience that power :oops:. Haha I'll take it out in the evening to get some rpms in. You guys will love it, def worth the wait

I picked up today at the Chicago South Loop SC. Great experience, they're very well organized. I did Everyday Chris's full checklist (well done!) and found one small, light scratch on the back L pillar that they buffed out quickly. Everything else, panel gaps, etc were spot on. Drove home at about 5 mph because of rush hour traffic, so I really got to experience that power :oops:. Haha I'll take it out in the evening to get some rpms in. You guys will love it, def worth the wait
If you get some RPM's in, you definitely didn't get a Tesla!!! (kidding, of course ;)) Congrats on the pick up!

Reactions: mikelipino
IMG_0086.jpegIMG_0101.jpeg

Delivery tomorrow!!!! Ripping out the home link module of my Y as I type lol

Yeah, 'Expected' isn't concrete, even as much as we wish it was. In 2024 we might think that a company building something like this would have a bit more accuracy about such things, but... some businesses try to remain flexible/fluid, and unfortunately that means in 'expected' delivery/build dates and such.

I admit, I think it's been fascinating watching all of this since April. Wildly-bouncing EDD's, surprise VINs, and so on. It has been entertaining. :)
I agree it's definitely been an experience how this has all turned out. Just wish I was on the other end of the experience (getting a VIN sooner) hah.

I am trying to stay hopeful that I can take delivery before the end of June, but I a not going to lie, how slow it has been over the past 3-5 days is kinda worrying me lol, Hard to believe that I may take delivery within my EDD (6/20-6/30) when its already 6/6 and there are no VINS in sight and I am in the Midwest, so longer delivery times. But hey, maybe they will surprise me.

Reactions: Sandee3 and arkhos
View attachment 1054258View attachment 1054259

Delivery tomorrow!!!! Ripping out the home link module of my Y as I type lol
I wanted to do the same, but since I had an older 2018 M3, I'd have to remove the bumper. I showed the SC that Homelink showed as unavailable for the 2024 M3P, and they didn't know why. They recommend I request it through Service on the app to see if the service tech can add it

Someone in Austin area is gonna get lucky with inventory or expedited order. Had to put mine on hold due to being out of country for delivery. About two weeks. The guy at the delivery center was very helpful on the phone and explained how the hold would work, but of course, no clue when I would get a VIN after releasing the hold.
Austinite here, I also ordered the SG/White (saw you on the tracker), but a 5/1/24 order date so I definitely won't be the lucky one getting your VIN. It's a total bummer though that they wouldn't hold it...did they tell you how long they are willing to hold the car in cases like this?

Reactions: jaroby
Took my 21 year old son for the first test drive at home. Did a launch from a standstill for the first time. I should have filmed his reaction. His comment about 30 seconds after was "my body is still tingling". :D

Tomorrow I adjust my frunk gaps and go after the rattle. That dash rattle is really annoying. So far though, those are the only minor issues. Paint and all other gaps look perfect!