Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome! I hope so too, but I'm guessing we'll be waiting until mid to late March for delivery since we're both in the Midwest!

Yeah you're probably right. I guess it's for the best anyway as I don't want to be driving around on performance tires in the snow. If I get in late March I'll only have to wait a month or two for it to warm up here ;). I'm also hoping the longer it takes the better chance we have of getting a heated steering wheel.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I noticed the email lines up w/ full weeks, versus the site which lines up with end of quarter.

I also called my SA after getting the email, he said it would likely be late February or early March before getting a VIN (3 weeks out). He suggested adding the car to insurance right away, apparently some people try to "time it" thinking they don't want to pay insurance for a car they don't possess yet. That leads to a delay in issuing temp plates (at least here in Texas).

Once you accept delivery you can call your insurance company and they can adjust the start date.

Tim

Sounds like you have a good SA. My SA hasn’t been good, if I ever need to call regarding financing or something similar she doesn’t really know that much. She didnt even know there was an interior refresh for the Model 3. She’s also always in a rush and tries to get off the phone ASAP. She ays she’ll follow up with me when she doesn’t know the answer, but never does.

My previous SA from 2 years ago (the order I had to cancel) was absolutely amazing, really cool guy and super knowledgeable. My current one has been really underwhelming.

i confirmed my insurance info a few days ago just in case it speeds things up, which I doubt it will haha. In Illinois we can use our current insurance info from another vehicle instead.

Ooo VIN at the end of Feb would be awesome. Imagine if we get it in mid Feb, that’s only 2 weeks away! Can only dream..

Yeah you're probably right. I guess it's for the best anyway as I don't want to be driving around on performance tires in the snow. If I get in late March I'll only have to wait a month or two for it to warm up here ;). I'm also hoping the longer it takes the better chance we have of getting a heated steering wheel.

Yeah, at least there’s a positive to waiting. I really want that heated steering wheel! I’m switching out the tires to 18’s the same day I take delivery haha. There’s a discount tire across the street from Tesla and I’ll be going straight there!

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Just checked out the UKs Model 3 page and it looks like they have the new interior on their website, but no heated steering wheel listed.

I’m fairly confident we’ll get the new interior since Europe has it now and they’re already getting deliveries for Q1.

I’m starting to have my doubts regarding the heated steering wheel though. At best we’ll get it with a firmware update, but I highly doubt it’ll be listed on the US Model 3 page prior to our delivery in Q1.

• Disagree
Reactions: Avn1284
Just checked out the UKs Model 3 page and it looks like they have the new interior on their website, but no heated steering wheel listed.

I’m fairly confident we’ll get the new interior since Europe has it now and they’re already getting deliveries for Q1.

I’m starting to have my doubts regarding the heated steering wheel though. At best we’ll get it with a firmware update, but I highly doubt it’ll be listed on the US Model 3 page prior to our delivery in Q1.

At the same time I’ve seen reports of US Model Y deliveries w/ heated steering wheels, and it’s not listed on the US Model Y site either. That’s why I have some hope still.

I know a lot of folks could care less about this feature, but I have a condition called raynaud's syndrome and it’s a real lifesaver, especially in the winter (even here in Texas).

Tim

At the same time I’ve seen reports of US Model Y deliveries w/ heated steering wheels, and it’s not listed on the US Model Y site either. That’s why I have some hope still.

I know a lot of folks could care less about this feature, but I have a condition called raynaud's syndrome and it’s a real lifesaver, especially in the winter (even here in Texas).

Tim
Oh really? How did they confirm that the steering wheel was heated? I thought the US Model Y didn’t have heated steering enabled yet.

I see. Yeah it can get down to -20f here so it’s definitely a lifesaver.

Oh really? How did they confirm that the steering wheel was heated? I thought the US Model Y didn’t have heated steering enabled yet.

My buddy locally got his DM MY with 1/12 build date and has a heated wheel. He is locked on some old firmware though - 2020.39.x. I'm pretty sure we'll get it, it's just not in current firmware yet and that's why he's stuck on an ancient one.

Reactions: TBrownTX

Ys are leaving the factory with 2020.39.11 have the heated steering wheel but no Boombox, which came in 2020.48.26. At some point, they'll either merge the heated wheel with the Boombox update or, the Ys with the heated steering wheel will have their own software version. It's a bit confusing at the moment in the Y community.

Looks like all RHD 3's are now shown with new door panels and seamless steering wheels.
Chinese 3's are the only LHD cars shown with the new door panels and the only ones advertising the heated steering wheel.
Chinese 3P's are also the only cars with the new 19" Zero G wheels.
Taiwan gets a rare oddity - their 3P's have the new 19" Gemini hubcaps.
And Korea gets the last of the 2020's with chrome trim, the original center console and previous aero/sport/performance wheels.

Curiously, all LHD models are still shown with the old stitched steering wheel, though the US version is described as "vegan" and the Chinese version is described as "heated". Apparently they haven't bothered to update the image for LHD models even though they updated it for the new door panels in the Chinese model.

I predict that by spring we'll see a slight price increase on the LR as the interior updates are announced, a slight decrease in the P pricing as the standard config drops to 19" Zero-G's with 20" Uberturbines as a $1500 option, and the SR to remain unchanged in price or config with it's "partial premium" interior using up the last of the old door panels and the heated steering wheel being disabled like the extra stereo speakers are.

Hello, new doors trims are only on English/UK Tesla site. Not in France, Not in spain, Not in Italy ...
Today they are only for RHD cars so i'm not sure you will get it soon.

We will keep you informed in a few days, the boat will be in europe in 7 days.

Yeah, at least there’s a positive to waiting. I really want that heated steering wheel! I’m switching out the tires to 18’s the same day I take delivery haha. There’s a discount tire across the street from Tesla and I’ll be going straight there!

What rims/tires are you getting, all-seasons or winter tires? I'm going to have to get something for next winter and I'm not really excited about spending $4500 on the Tesla store option.

I had Discount Tire flip winters/summers on my Evo for a few years but that was a pain and they ended up scratching the rims almost every time they flipped them. Hoping to find a full package (including sensors) I can change out on my own. Any ideas?

What rims/tires are you getting, all-seasons or winter tires? I'm going to have to get something for next winter and I'm not really excited about spending $4500 on the Tesla store option.

I had Discount Tire flip winters/summers on my Evo for a few years but that was a pain and they ended up scratching the rims almost every time they flipped them. Hoping to find a full package (including sensors) I can change out on my own. Any ideas?

Got some 18" rims from Tsportline for ~$1400 and some all season tires from Tirerack for ~$700 that also perform really well in the snow so I won't need winter tires. Purchasing TPMS from Tesla on delivery day for ~$350. All together it'll be around $2800 after tax.

I'm planning on selling the 20" Ubers since they'll get really messed up over here in the Midwest.

If you want a full package I'd recommend Tsportline since they sell a full whee/tire/TPMS package that you can put on yourself for $2400 before tax. Their TPMS works with the 2021 Model 3 so you dont need to buy them direct from Tesla. I wasn't a fan of their tire selection since I wanted an all season that performs well in the snow.

These are the tires I went with, if you’re curious: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=345YR8QTPXL

Last edited:

I'm getting 18's from TireRack, they have some nice gloss black wheels for $155/each. and getting Michelin Crossclimate+s from Costco. For now, you have to order the BLE TPMS sensors from Tesla, taking it all there for them to install before next winter. Roughly $1430 before install/sensors, a lot better than $4500.

I'm getting 18's from TireRack, they have some nice gloss black wheels for $155/each. and getting Michelin Crossclimate+s from Costco. For now, you have to order the BLE TPMS sensors from Tesla, taking it all there for them to install before next winter. Roughly $1430 before install/sensors, a lot better than $4500.

I'm fortunate to be in Texas where I can sport summer tires year round.

Tim