Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Premium Package is a STEAL (By Tesla standards)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My completely non-scientific analysis of Tesla buyers is that they roughly break down into three categories.

1. Tesla is super sexy and exclusive and I want one!
2. EV reliability and performance.
3. I want to save the planet.

Most people ordering a M3 I think fit into one or more of these categories.

The biggest contribution Tesla has made to renewable energy is making electric cars sexy.

For every person who can afford to buy a sexy high performance car but instead chooses boring reliable and affordable transportation there are 10 people who buy/lease more car than they really can afford.

It's what makes this country great. People can decide for themselves what their priorities are.

I fit in Category #2 more so because the cost of driving is much lower in an EV, at least when charging at night and because gasoline prices here in Canada are 40-50% higher compared to the neighboring US state. Being able to drive a little faster on the highway with little financial penalty is also something I want.

If Tesla vehicles were ultra-reliable, I'd get one in a heartbeat and wouldn't mind paying $5k for TACC when I'm not going to bother with lane change assists or highway exit assists. But that remains to be seen. It's one thing to fork over one's hard-earned money for something you know will benefit you for years to come, but another to purchase something that could potentially be a money pit. The remedy I see is how the ESA will be worded for the Model 3 and how Tesla opens up this Right to Repair possibly in the next decade to allow more independents to service the cars after the warranty period is over.

With respect to saving the planet, lots of things can be done by ICE vehicle owners or ordinary citizens -- do not idle vehicles when unnecessary, recycle properly, treat fellow colleagues and countrymen with respect, do not support unethical companies. To me, zero emissions is nice but there are many other things that can be done to help the planet.

The electric car design that surprises me the most is the BMW i3. The ICE BMW has such a nice design language. Not sure why they didn't stick to that when designing the i3.

There are saboteurs everywhere. Look at the Audi etron designs and even the MB's. I'm not sure why electric cars have to be made to look very different from regular nice looking ICE vehicles.

I don't have evidence that 80% of reservation holders are coming from German car owners.

I have evidence that Elon Musk himself has said that BMW & Mercedes are who Tesla views as their primary competitors.

Musk has pointedly said that he's not building a "2 series" car anytime soon. Tesla wants to build higher end cars and have offered their patents royalty free to other manufacturers who want to build a different kind of car that meets a different kind of need.

I think there are plenty of people driving Prius/Accord/Altima who heard "$35,000 Tesla" and jumped to put their pre-order in. A relatively small number of people with that budget will qualify for the tax credits. Some of those people will also be disappointed at what is missing on the entry level model 3 compared to non EV offerings from other manufacturers at a similar price point.

As a BMW owner continuously for the last 21 years, I can say, with some experience, that they've shot themselves in the foot, big time: they made a huge investment in the production capabilities for their i range and produced probably the best (albeit range-limited) small EV going with the i3. But it's taken them more than three years to even marginally improve range and power, something Tesla manages with OTA updates. More importantly, they've been so afraid of cannibalising their own extant product lines that they've failed to move on with any other offering in a ground-up EV format. That, and the greed and laziness of BMW dealers has made me throw in the towel on ICE, probably a couple of years before I otherwise would have done. The only other viable offering in the near future (2018) will be the i-Pace.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The only thing that makes Tesla stand out is that the other manufacturers have simply chosen not to offer something similar yet.

But this is about to change.
BMW said that they`d offer their 3 and 5 series fully electrified starting 2019-2020, and Mercedes and Audi want to ship their pure EVs starting mid 2018 - early 2019, cudos to Tesla for making this happen.
I´m really curious as to how long Tesla will be able to stick to the EV crown when the real premium manufacturers start equipping their cars with similar powertrains.

To be honest, I wouldn`t even be looking at a Model 3 if Mercedes offered their C/E-Class as an EV.

The 2015 Model S I´m driving from time to time is definitely an incredibly fun car thanks to its powertrain, but man, everything else definitely doesn`t look/feel like a 100k+ car, every 5 series/e-class for half the money declassifies Tesla quality wise.....Tesla may be great visionaires, but their manufacturing skills are definitely not worth the premium price (yet?)
I disagree, in that when I sit in a nice Audi, I feel like I want to vomit. All the "refined" interior and opulence is more stuffy and snobby than anything. But I'm all for the Germans to produce decent EV versions of their top product lines. I'll personally stick with Tesla, but wish everyone could drive an EV that will work for them - whether they prefer a 7 series, or need a soccer mom minivan, or a hardworking pickup truck. ICE with its bajillion parts to break and always going to the gas station just seems so archaic.

The only thing that makes Tesla stand out is that the other manufacturers have simply chosen not to offer something similar yet.

But this is about to change.
BMW said that they`d offer their 3 and 5 series fully electrified starting 2019-2020, and Mercedes and Audi want to ship their pure EVs starting mid 2018 - early 2019, cudos to Tesla for making this happen.
BMW said nothing of the sort.
They said they would start "electrifying" - and that the full range would have electric options.
They definitely did NOT say there would be a fully electric 3 series - even more definitely not by 2020.
In other words they will be adding a set of mild hybrids and pathetic "plug-ins" and pretending that they have EVs
It will be at least 5 years before BMW or MB have a 100% electric vehicle in real production.
They will become nothing but a marginalized bit player, just like companies like Fiat.

They said they would start "electrifying" - and that the full range would have electric options.
They definitely did NOT say there would be a fully electric 3 series - even more definitely not by 2020.
In other words they will be adding a set of mild hybrids and pathetic "plug-ins" and pretending that they have EVs
It will be at least 5 years before BMW or MB have a 100% electric vehicle in real production.
They will become nothing but a marginalized bit player, just like companies like Fiat.

How can you be sure there will be at least 5 years? Even if the article below is incorrect, how are you sure about them not getting in on the BEV bandwagon sooner? They have experience in the i3.

Electric BMW X3e to come in 2020, but BMW i5 defunct: what happened, and why?

Instead, last October, BMW officially confirmed media reports that the company would offer battery-electric versions of its Mini Cooper hardtop and of the next generation of BMW X3 crossover.

BMW repeatedly stated to bring electrified version of their main lines till 2020 and audis etron and mercedes EQ series are slated for mid 2018 early 2019.
And mercedes has the fully electric b class btw. and the i3 on BMWs side is also in "real production"...just the market for that fugly thing isn there.

They simply have to keep their promises this time if they wish to stay present on the chinese market where they have to gather those quota-points with EV sales now.

So no, your "5 years" is bogus.
~2 is the max they can allow themselves to dawdle around before it starts costing them market shares and has punitive consequences in China.

Reactions: internalaudit
BMW repeatedly stated to bring electrified version of their main lines till 2020 and audis etron and mercedes EQ series are slated for mid 2018 early 2019.
And mercedes has the fully electric b class btw. and the i3 on BMWs side is also in "real production"...just the market for that fugly thing isn there.

They simply have to keep their promises this time if they wish to stay present on the chinese market where they have to gather those quota-points with EV sales now.

~2 is the max they can allow themselves to dawdle around before it starts costing them market shares and has punitive consequences in China.
That all sounds great until you realize that "electrified" means nothing.
The first gen Prius is electrified.
GM had a Tahoe that electrified years ago.
A BMW 3 series with a battery big enough to get over 200 miles will have no trunk, no frunk and just be an ICE car with batteries and motors crammed in. It's a panic car.
Their first real EV is a disaster, $45k for a car with less range than a Leaf.
They tried, they blew it.

That all sounds great until you realize that "electrified" means nothing.
The first gen Prius is electrified.
GM had a Tahoe that electrified years ago.
A BMW 3 series with a battery big enough to get over 200 miles will have no trunk, no frunk and just be an ICE car with batteries and motors crammed in. It's a panic car.
Their first real EV is a disaster, $45k for a car with less range than a Leaf.
They tried, they blew it.
VW, Mercedes and BMW all use a modular basis and they can ,just like vw or tesla, place their battery on the bottom of the car without a lot of re-engineering. The only thing the classic manufacturers are actually behind in is production capacity for batteries, but that`s what they have join-ventures with samsung and co for.

So again, no, you`re grossly underestimating the classic premium brands.
All that`s been missing for the classic manufacturers to jump on the ev bandwagon is the will to abandon their moneyprinting diesel engines. It´s not like they couldn`t have, they didn`t want to....until china started to really force them and Tesla reached a certain size.

What I really don`t understand though is why bmw, audi and mercedes went the extra-brand route for their evs so far. Guess they want to make a premium-premium with a higher margin while keeping their classic bread and butter models around without cannibalizing their share.

Who will get a big problem though are all "less financially stable" non-premium-manufacturers. Those will have a BIG problem getting the neccessary funds to switch.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: internalaudit

A few years ago I saw some electric 1-series. Did those ever come to market? It was a pretty nice looking car.

Untitled-114-626x382.jpg

Then at least we know they intend to keep their 12v battery. Maybe they will go whole hog and put in a 40v for some stop-stop at lights ? Or surprise everybody and make a 14 mile plug-in ?

You never know, although diesel with on-road sky high emissions seems a sure bet.

VW, Mercedes and BMW all use a modular basis and they can ,just like vw or tesla, place their battery on the bottom of the car without a lot of re-engineering. The only thing the classic manufacturers are actually behind in is production capacity for batteries, but that`s what they have join-ventures with samsung and co for.

So again, no, you`re grossly underestimating the classic premium brands.
All that`s been missing for the classic manufacturers to jump on the ev bandwagon is the will to abandon their moneyprinting diesel engines. It´s not like they couldn`t have, they didn`t want to....until china started to really force them and Tesla reached a certain size.

What I really don`t understand though is why bmw, audi and mercedes went the extra-brand route for their evs so far. Guess they want to make a premium-premium with a higher margin while keeping their classic bread and butter models around without cannibalizing their share.

Who will get a big problem though are all "less financially stable" non-premium-manufacturers. Those will have a BIG problem getting the neccessary funds to switch.

Considering how the chassis used in modern cars is specifically engineered around the ICE drive train and interior components I don't think it's nearly as trivial as you make it out to be to jam the battery on the bottom frame of the car.

Reactions: chronopc
Coming from a Honda/Acura background, we will definitely need the Model 3 to be competitive in terms of reliability. If not, my wife will probably trade it in for an Accord immediately after the first failure or expensive (read: significantly more expensive than a Honda/Acura) service.

Doubt we will follow a maintenance plan that requires us to spend any more than the approx. $200 a year we currently spend on our Acura.