Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Android Auto/CarPlay is halfassed nav/infotainment.

Android Auto is the ultimate. Far, far better than the Tesla nav system, and all other manufacturers.

Your choice of apps. Always up to date. No fees. Upgrade your hardware any time you like.

...here is Hyundia's description.

Dear god man, how many times do I have to explain this to you?

It's not Lane Keep Assist. It's Lane Follow Assist. The names are similar but the systems are completely different.

The video you have is dead straight

No. Did you even watch more than 5 seconds of it? You can see the wheel moving to follow the slight curve and the car in front.

Which sadly the Kona Electric doesn't have.

Yes it does. Even the fossil version does. You can see it working in the video. It's on the Hyundai web site.

What is your problem here? Are these deliberate lies or just mind boggling incompetence?

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
I experienced the lane keeping assist first hand in the Kona ICE (EV was not available yet) and it ping pongs from line to line. It is an aid when you don't pay attention, but it is no where close to the smoothness and "self-driving" of AP. It will at some point hit a curb I think when you let it do its thing. It came scary close to it on my test drive.

I experienced the lane keeping assist first hand in the Kona ICE (EV was not available yet) and it ping pongs from line to line. It is an aid when you don't pay attention, but it is no where close to the smoothness and "self-driving" of AP. It will at some point hit a curb I think when you let it do its thing. It came scary close to it on my test drive.
Yeah, the Bolt's assist is like this, too. *shrug* ((Well, with the Bolt GM had the presence of mind to have it beep at you and tell you to put your fool hands back on the wheel. Maybe they're concerned about confusion with Supercruise?))

With time they'll improve, of course. Another thing that probably helps is certain lane widths. It's hard to find roads like that here but for very tight lanes it seems to handle it better. Probably a lot easier to find the "middle" when there's very little lane other than the middle, so overcorrection isn't really an issue.

Yes it does. Even the fossil version does.
They've added it back? Hyundai’s Kona is ready for almost anything

Well that's good news because leaving it out when the fossil version had it struck me as really weird.
Android Auto is the ultimate. Far, far better than the Tesla nav system, and all other manufacturers.
BWHAHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: seattlite2004

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh don't let Bete Noire confuse you. It's level 2, it follows the lane or the car in front like the Tesla.

It's NOT just lane keeping assist. It's Level 2 Autonomy.

I don't know how I can make that any clearer. The Niro has the same system, they share the tech.

• Disagree
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh don't let Bete Noire confuse you. It's level 2, it follows the lane or the car in front like the Tesla.

It's NOT just lane keeping assist. It's Level 2 Autonomy.

I don't know how I can make that any clearer. The Niro has the same system, they share the tech.

I have experience with both AP and the Kona's "lane assist" and there is a big difference between them. That is not to say the Kona's system is bad or useless. As long as you don't use the system in corners, I'm sure it will help you stay safely on the road.

Level 2 doesn't mean it works as well as another level 2 system. There can be massive differences in "success" between level 2 systems.

Just an example of a "level 3" system by Audi and why I think it doesn't work as well as the "level 2" system in Tesla/Volvo/Nissan. In the situation depicted below, the Audi should be able to drive hands-off without any intervention from driver. Clearly that is not the case.

Your choice of apps. Always up to date. No fees. Upgrade your hardware any time you like.
Maybe it's just preference but as someone pretty familiar with Android Auto I actually prefer the Tesla nav system. I like that I can see multiple upcoming turns instead of just the next one. Also I like having information about supercharger and how much battery power I'll have left once I get to my destination. Android Auto is much better than most of the nav system out there though.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Maybe it's just preference but as someone pretty familiar with Android Auto I actually prefer the Tesla nav system. I like that I can see multiple upcoming turns instead of just the next one. Also I like having information about supercharger and how much battery power I'll have left once I get to my destination. Android Auto is much better than most of the nav system out there though.

You can try Waze on Android Auto. You can configure it to show further ahead. It also has EV charging stations as POIs with some user comments.

One other nice thing about Waze is that it lets users submit info in real time, so you often see where people have submitted accidents, stopped cars, police etc. The commercial systems tend not to show those things at all.

And worth every penny? ;) I've personally found it isn't even worth that. Just use my phone directly, now. Half the time I just turn off the Bolt display entirely, especially driving at night.
AA/CP is just an extension of your phone onto the head unit. I think it's cool...specially Waze and the ability to use all your media and some streaming apps from your phone on your car's screen. My 4 year old S5 was slow, but it worked....a newer smart phone is so much faster. Yeah interface could be buggy....but Tesla folks should be used to bugs....hhhh

Last edited:
You can try Waze on Android Auto. You can configure it to show further ahead. It also has EV charging stations as POIs with some user comments.

One other nice thing about Waze is that it lets users submit info in real time, so you often see where people have submitted accidents, stopped cars, police etc. The commercial systems tend not to show those things at all.
So far only Tesla and Jaguar iPace shows charging stops and routes you through them if needed. Waze is missing the last feature.

AA/CP is just an extension of your phone onto the head unit.

Different device means somewhat different UI/UX.

Far more importantly, it takes over the whole screen. Thus walling you off from the car specific stuff. It's running "something else" in a box. That's the fundamental issue with it, it's inherently clunky and fugly. I don't know if there's a split screen spec but I've never seen it implemented, maybe it's only because of screen limits that it's not being used now that nobody's bothered, or it's inherently really difficult.

Is that better than some large number of vehicles systems out there? Sure, there's a lot of junk out that and most vehicles don't refresh their system in existing cars (if you're lucky you can buy map info upgrades) so AA/CP have a definite advantage as they're likely to age better. But with Tesla's? That's crazytown, because Teslas has the advantage of both; Integrated as a whole system, very regular OTA updates, and integration with the steer wheel inputs (and yes, live traffic/incident data feed) with with the better screen hardware to boot.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Different device means somewhat different UI/UX.

Far more importantly, it takes over the whole screen. Thus walling you off from the car specific stuff. It's running "something else" in a box. That's the fundamental issue with it, it's inherently clunky and fugly. I don't know if there's a split screen spec but I've never seen it implemented, maybe it's only because of screen limits that it's not being used now that nobody's bothered, or it's inherently really difficult.

Is that better than some large number of vehicles systems out there? Sure, there's a lot of junk out that and most vehicles don't refresh their system in existing cars (if you're lucky you can buy map info upgrades) so AA/CP have a definite advantage as they're likely to age better. But with Tesla's? That's crazytown, because Teslas has the advantage of both; Integrated as a whole system, very regular OTA updates, and integration with the steer wheel inputs with with the better screen hardware to boot.
A quick button push will get you back to your Bolt's UI...then long button push to toggle back to AA/CP. Always nice to have options....if you are gonna use your phone in the car..why not connect it up to the head unit. Wonder how many Tesla owners want AA/CP in their vehicles....there has got to be a thread about that on this site.....

A quick button push will get you back to your Bolt's UI

...and then I don't have my map/music list/etc visible (much less parts of both of them as with the Tesla's), anymore. That's bull sugar of the highest degree....and it doesn't get better from there, flipping around.

Somewhat tighter ties with phones in the Tesla system would be nice, and at least parts of that are coming, but AA/CP is simply an ugly hack for vehicle manufacturers to avoid the effort to build a good inference. Listing it as being a feature over Tesla's? LOL

Last edited:
  • Disagree
...and then I don't have my map/music list/etc visible (much less parts of both of them as with the Tesla's), anymore. That's bull sugar of the highest degree....and it doesn't get better from there, flipping around.

Somewhat tighter ties with phones in the Tesla system would be nice, and at least parts of that are coming, but AA/CP is simply an ugly hack for vehicle manufacturers to avoid the effort to build a good inference. Listing it as being a feature over Tesla's? LOL
Gotta deal with what you got. I like having options. If one doesn't like it.. Don't use it.. But the option is there.

AA/CP doesn't replace your car's UI... It's an extension of your phone. I'm thinking lots of Tesla owners would welcome CP/AA.

AA/CP doesn't replace your car's UI... It's an extension of your phone.
It takes over the screen. It doesn't mesh with your car's UI, doesn't leverage it, isn't aware of it in anyway....which in lots of cars isn't that much of a deal. The Bolt I find it a PITA because there is other stuff I'd like to see, too.....and the user controls for the map aren't all that much of an improvement, anyway, so I just use the phone.

In the Tesla that is not even close to workable (not even sure if it's legal in a regulatory sense?).

I like having options.

Like seeing both Music info and a part Map? AA can't even split screen the phone's own apps.

The "I like having options" is empty rhetoric when one of those options is crap.....

Fin.

• Disagree
It takes over the screen. It doesn't mesh with your car's UI, doesn't leverage it, isn't aware of it in anyway....which in lots of cars isn't much of a deal.

In the Tesla that is not even close to workable (not even sure if it's legal in a regulatory sense?).

Like seeing both Music info and a part Map? AA can't even split screen the phone's own apps.

The "I like having options" is empty rhetoric when one of those options is crap.....

Fin.
Works for me... and a bunch of other folks ..a bunch

Reactions: 1 person