Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing and competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The M3 SR is supposed to start at $35k, for a 50kWh battery and no extras.

Well Hyundai is shipping the Kona EV with a 68kWh battery (64kWh usable), and the top spec model with steering assist, ventilated seats, Android Auto, 100kW charging etc. is also about $35k.

Kia is releasing the Niro in a similar price bracket and Nissan are launching the Leaf 60, both with the same battery pack as the Kona.

Given that by the time Tesla actually gets around to making any M3SRs are we likely to see a price cut given the low range? For that matter, what about the LR version which is closer to these cars in terms of range (only 7kWh more energy)?
Although the Kona doesn't match my use case (access to the supercharging network is a major reason I bought a Tesla), I'm sure it will appeal to many in the US. There's no chance that I'm going to spend nearly an hour to get 200mi of range back in the battery (per Car & Driver), if I can find a charger for the Kona while on the highway. But again, I'm sure there will be a large addressable market for this vehicle in the US, so bravo to Hyundai bringing it to market and doing so ahead of Model Y for that matter. If one of my kids needs a new car when the Kona is available, I will take a look at it for sure particularly if an unlimited warranty is real once it launches in the US.

My wife and I need the long-range charging network that the superchargers provide, but only on one car. Overnight charging with a range of, say, 200 miles on the second car would be more than enough in our case. I would expect that to be the case for many households.
So, we're holding on to the Model S but it's highly likely that the next car will not be a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
My wife and I need the long-range charging network that the superchargers provide, but only on one car. Overnight charging with a range of, say, 200 miles on the second car would be more than enough in our case. I would expect that to be the case for many households.
So, we're holding on to the Model S but it's highly likely that the next car will not be a Tesla.
There will definitely be a market for less expensive EVs. Especially for people who will mainly use it as a daily driver and not their only car.

The situation in the UK is fairly crap for CCS. But at least with a 250 mile range you have plenty of options. You would have to plan quite poorly to end up reliant on just one charging location.

Many Tesla owners do several short stops, like 15-20 minutes. I'd suggest doing the same with CCS, don't wait until you are dangerously low.
It won't be 250 miles range. Kia was claiming 280mi at one point but as far as I can tell they've walked that back: Kia Niro EV hits the market in Korea That's also not even the EPA number?

Dropping the range is very unsurprising given the combo of the battery size vehicle's profile and the manufacturer's stated .29 Cd of hybrid model. That also means that if you plan to take it on >60mph highways you're either keeping in the right lane or your range is going to drop like a stone.

Last edited:
Do Tesla even have a WLTP figure for the M3 yet?

The combination of long range, rapid charging, hands free auto steering, HUD, Android Auto, excellent warranty, low price and actual availablity make the Kona very attractive. The major down side for me is the lack of a remote control app in Europe.

The info about the Niro and Leaf is too little too make a judgement yet.

...Android Auto.....make the Kona very attractive. The major down side for me is the lack of a remote control app in Europe.

Sounds like: "The Black Plague made Europe very attractive as it drove vacancy rates up meaning high housing availability." :cool:

....and actual availablity make the Kona very attractive

In the US? Like the Hyundai Ioniq? ;) Which AFAIK isn't sold anywhere outside of ZEV States, and even there is very hard to get hold of? Expect "battery supply" issues to prevail.

The long range variant seems to be a slightly smaller Bolt with maybe a few more miles of range, That includes the matching feature of lane steering correction (which is NOT "hands free", seriously pattern of misinformation isn't accidental?). Hyundai will have a step on GM with the Tax Credit for a while, though.

The HUD is an interesting feature. I'm looking forward to how that pans out.

• Disagree
Reactions: seattlite2004
Sounds like: "The Black Plague made Europe very attractive as it drove vacancy rates up meaning high housing availability." :cool:

???

In the US? Like the Hyundai Ioniq?

I'm not in the US... Although the M3 SR isn't available there either.

The long range variant seems to be a slightly smaller Bolt with maybe a few more miles of range, That includes the matching feature of lane steering correction (which is NOT "hands free", seriously pattern of misinformation isn't accidental?). Hyundai will have a step on GM with the Tax Credit for a while, though.

The bolt is a little smaller actually, according to GM: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV

4166x1765x1594 for the Bolt, 4180x1800x1570 for the Kona. The Niro is similar to the Kona but 20cm longer and has a lot more cargo capacity.

As for hands free, here is the video:

As you can see it's full lane following, either via road markings or the car in front, combined with TACC.

You seriously need to google these claims you keep making, I mean how hard is it to check things like dimensions?

Reactions: seattlite2004

The Kona has 482 WLTP kilometers (299 miles), the Bolt (Opel Ampera-e in EU) has 380 WLTP kilometers of range (236 miles).

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The Kona has 482 WLTP kilometers (299 miles), the Bolt (Opel Ampera-e in EU) has 380 WLTP kilometers of range (236 miles).
It is something of an oddity that the Bolt WLTP tests out to the same as EPA (technically slightly lower). There's a good reason why US press still talks it up as a 250mi range car even after the release of those official numbers.

P.S. It will be interesting to see, as we get more data points, the level of correlation (or not) between relative sluggishness, such as Kona vs the Bolt, and eMPG.

Reactions: CO2CLEAN
Android Auto/CarPlay is halfassed nav/infotainment.

The bolt is a little smaller actually, according to GM: 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV

4166x1765x1594 for the Bolt, 4180x1800x1570 for the Kona.

Sorry, meant slightly squatter, although it is longer/wider by a hair (and has some more cargo capacity). My point here was they are quite similar form vehicles ("compact crossovers").

As for hands free...

...here is Hyundia's description.

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA).
LKA provides steering intervention to assist the vehicle to stay in the centre of the lane. When the vehicle strays from the intended lane without indicators being activated, an audible and visual warning will be sounded.

The video you have is dead straight (which even my '82 Dodge Diplomat could handle for short distances ;) ). It does work on corners to an extent but it's not really "hands free". You'll see that on the extended Youtube videos of it, people cruising a bit and then grab for a while (speeding up the video) then taking their hands off the wheel again.

...combined with TACC.

Which sadly the Kona Electric doesn't have.

-- -- -- -- --

The point is Bolt & Kona are similar vehicles. In form and features....and expect Ioniq's supply constraint to follow it. Even outside the US (the US supply constraints were just a mirror of worldwide). Battery production capacity is likely to be the #1 constraint on sales (of BEVs in general) for years to come. It's linked to cost but also it takes years to build production facilities, so with a steep demand ramp you're always going to be tight on supply.

Last edited: