Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am probably somewhere around 250k on the list. I have solar panels and the prospect of actually $0 to charge and drive is amazing. BUT, I need to test drive before making a final decision. I am in a Yukon XL now and planned on buying smaller car, maybe a BMW 535i in a year or so anyway (kids are older) . The Model S is too rich for my blood but what a beautiful car it is! I am also interested in that Powerwall Tesla now has but I will look into it after production. (no reservation) Getting completely off the grid has been a goal but it is just too expensive right now. I care about the environment just like anyone else but my main reason for the 3 is it's a cool car. :) :)

2) I live in an older 1950's house, can I upgrade my electrical system to use a Tesla charger? What if my partner wants one too? Can we do two?

Someone, I think on the main Tesla forums, there is a table for newbies showing how many miles per hour of charging you can get from various outlets (so many different types in North America!). It works out to roughly three times the kW rating of your outlet. For a 20 amp 110 volt outlet you can do roughly 6.6miles per hour of charging. (for km it's 4.83*kW)

I don't have any first hand experience to back this up, mind you. But if you lived 20 miles from work, so had to charge up 40 miles worth of power every night it would take you 8 hours on a 15 amp 110 volt circuit. Not unreasonable. Though I can't recall if 15 amp is the norm for regular outlets in North America. A NEMA 6-15 outlet can put out 15A at 250V, which is 9 miles per hour (11.25 miles at maximum, but you're only supposed to draw 80% of the max current)

Disclaimer: this could be bupkis. :p

View attachment 170586 I need a new electric car, a smaller one to go with my S. Pondering the Bolt vs 3 (with tough firmly in cheek). The Bolt might be very practical, but if we asked Chevy how many reservations it has for the car, I will be it is a very small number....if any....and those are probably shifting!
I just heard that Model 3 reservations are close to 290,000.
Depends on if you want to drive an ugly, uninspired car in a year, or wait 2 years for something better.

It seems Chevrolet isn't interested in taking reservations, probably because it isn't seriously interested in selling the Bolt. Given the interests that run the auto industry, who's surprised? The Bolt will probably be sold only where GM can gain carbon credits for it, like every other compliance car. It's also not much of a redesign, but basically a conventional car with a battery. Will it work?

I'd like to be wrong. Musk is right, that others' joining this game (if joining seriously) would be good for everyone. Increased demand placed on the conventional manufacturers will also mean more cars for Tesla, unless it makes a colossal mistake.

Reactions: Jaff
Depends on if you want to drive an ugly, uninspired car in a year, or wait 2 years for something better.
I hadn't paid much attention to the Bolt, so just went to chevy's site to take a look. Not even getting into the exterior design (ugh), the interior is full of molded plastic and econ looking seats. What I would expect from an economy entry level car. THEN looked at the economy $14k Spark (fuel version, EV is $25k) and it has a similar but nicer looking interior.
I would expect the Bolt may have more fleet buyers (such as municipals being mandated to go zero emissions) than individuals choosing this vehicle.

Does anyone know how the reservation numbering system works? I wasn't in a position to put my money down until the 12th April. I'm number RN1086XXXXX. How many thousand in front of me? (I will be ordering the AWD, highest spec, biggest battery available).

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how the reservation numbering system works? I wasn't in a position to put my money down until the 12th April. I'm number RN1086XXXXX. How many thousand in front of me? (I will be ordering the AWD, highest spec, biggest battery available).

TIA
a couple days ago it was announce reservations were at 400,000. general consensus has been the RN#s are a random ID and don't have your actual priority coded in them.

Planning on reserving one, as me and the wife have decided that this car is better on every level compared cars in this same price range. I have my reservations about whether or not TESLA can deliver, and meet the demand. At the rate these reservations are piling up, in conjunction with the S and X orders, they'll need another facility. I don't want to see late 2017 deliveries turn into late 2018-2019....

Are you saying that it is costing you $50-$60 / month to charge your Tesla? If yes, how many miles are you driving it / month? How often are you charging? How much electricity does it take to charge your vehicle (and what is average capacity left when you plug it in) each time? (from what % to what %?)

Trying to get a feel for how much it will cost/charge at home. My commute home -> work is 40 miles round trip. If I take our son to lacrosse practice (2x/week) that's another 20 round trip. If I go out to lunch, another 10, so 40-70 miles / day. Probably 250 miles on an average week. Figure I'd charge every other day, so 3-4x/week. Average spend / month on gas for my 2005 Nissan Aramada right now is about $160/month. Approximately a $40 fill-up every week (20 gallons).
That's about the same driving we were doing. You are spending about $160 month in gas and you will spend $50 to $60 in electricity. It best to plug the car in anytime your not driving, so every night. No need to do it only every couple of days. The auto air condition/heat in the morning will use plug power as well as any preheat on the battery pack, that's why it's always best to keep it plugged in.

TIA
Little (off-topic) word of advice: don't throw your reservation number around on the web. TMC can be read by anyone and people with bad intentions could abuse this information.

The Model S gets about 90 miles per gallon equivalent (33.7 kWh of electricity). The Model 3 is 20% smaller and perhaps as efficient, it may be more than efficient than this but lets just say the Model 3 will get 100 miles per gallon equivalent.

So look at your electric bill and see how much you pay for each kWh of electricity and multiply by 33.7 per 100 miles. The US average is about 12 cents / kWh. At 250 miles per week, you'll be paying about $10 / week, if you only charge at home. If you supercharge, you may get those miles for free (depending on how Tesla rolls out supercharging for the M3).

Are you saying that it is costing you $50-$60 / month to charge your Tesla? If yes, how many miles are you driving it / month? How often are you charging? How much electricity does it take to charge your vehicle (and what is average capacity left when you plug it in) each time? (from what % to what %?)

Trying to get a feel for how much it will cost/charge at home. My commute home -> work is 40 miles round trip. If I take our son to lacrosse practice (2x/week) that's another 20 round trip. If I go out to lunch, another 10, so 40-70 miles / day. Probably 250 miles on an average week. Figure I'd charge every other day, so 3-4x/week. Average spend / month on gas for my 2005 Nissan Aramada right now is about $160/month. Approximately a $40 fill-up every week (20 gallons).

Where do I see my reservation number? Just got an email confirmation but I do not see any number....

The Model S gets about 90 miles per gallon equivalent (33.7 kWh of electricity). The Model 3 is 20% smaller and perhaps as efficient, it may be more than efficient than this but lets just say the Model 3 will get 100 miles per gallon equivalent.

So look at your electric bill and see how much you pay for each kWh of electricity and multiply by 33.7 per 100 miles. The US average is about 12 cents / kWh. At 250 miles per week, you'll be paying about $10 / week, if you only charge at home. If you supercharge, you may get those miles for free (depending on how Tesla rolls out supercharging for the M3).
Too late now. I don't know if Admin can remove the information or not.

Edit: Thanks Admin!! :)

Thanks! Sounds like a pretty good amount of $$ saved per month, which will go toward the Model 3 payments.