Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Road Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a fun project.
On the rocker panels, just be careful when you pull them off - as I mentioned above. But I am very happy with the results it made on my car.

I think the reasoning behind not putting any sound insulation under the carpet is the fact that the battery - being so thick and directly under the floor - should act like a sound barrier, but the noise seems to just transmit through it, and Tesla is probably too cheap and too concerned with adding more weight to properly isolate it. There is no foam in between the battery pack and the floor, which would probably help (again another cost cutting move?).
In addition, on my car the rear floor section behind the front seats flexes and hits the battery pack underneath it, it literally sounds hollow and like a tin can when you press on it - :oops: Not sure if the new models have this known issue anymore, but I am sure it could have been solved with some sort of pad in between the floor and battery - just unacceptable in my opinion.

Interestingly, new Mercedes EQS sedan has an insulating pad attached to the battery pack on the outside facing the road, thus isolating the battery pack from the road. The car is super quiet.

I’m wondering if your technique would work on a Model X. When I get home I’m thinking about pulling off the rocker panels and copying you. But I’d better have some silicone glue on hand before I start. It’ll be my luck that I’ll destroy all those clips.

Many factors affect road noise. Tires are the primary ones. Undamped vibrations are another.

Do make sure the hood sit tight when shut and if not, adjust the rubber stoppers so that it does. If you press with your hand and it moves up and down when locked, chances are it will vibrate in harmony with the road vibrations sent over by the tires or buffet by the wind flowing over and under it.

If anyone is wondering how to get the lower rocker panel plastic piece off without breaking the clips, watch this video, it is in French, but the trick is to use a pick to release the tabs on either side of the clip and it comes right off no breaking, I have done this myself works great.
Good to know! If I ever have to re-PPF the rocker panel, taking off the plastic bit, first, will make it easier!

This should be helpful for most.

CC9F22E2-789A-4E72-9100-6628EB685DE4.jpeg

Reactions: jamesxtxt
Sorry to be an ex-scientist who has seen very strong placebo effects and also results caused by misinterpretation of chance events. What would convince me is a double-blind* experiment in which a number of people (or one person a number of times) drive a treated or untreated car and score the amount of noise.

The OP has presented a compelling single-blind experiment, but is it coincidence that his wife thought the car was quieter? What are the chances that she would remark on the quietness of that drive out of the blue? Pretty low, but perhaps she knew her hubbie had been talking about reducing road noise. Did OP say, "How was the drive today [raised eyebrow]?" I've certainly had some drives that seemed quieter than others.

I definitely discount reports that say, "I made this change, and it's much quieter!" as possible placebo effects. Also, I'm struck by the number of times people say "I made this change and didn't notice a significant difference."

On a related note, someone here said "I got the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires, and they are MUCH quieter." I bought those tires and found them noisier than the originals.

*Neither the subject nor the person administering the test knows which treatment is being presented. The tester can unintentionally give subtle clues when giving the test or be biased in his/her interpretation of the results.

Sorry to be an ex-scientist who has seen very strong placebo effects and also results caused by misinterpretation of chance events. What would convince me is a double-blind* experiment in which a number of people (or one person a number of times) drive a treated or untreated car and score the amount of noise.

The OP has presented a compelling single-blind experiment, but is it coincidence that his wife thought the car was quieter? What are the chances that she would remark on the quietness of that drive out of the blue? Pretty low, but perhaps she knew her hubbie had been talking about reducing road noise. Did OP say, "How was the drive today [raised eyebrow]?" I've certainly had some drives that seemed quieter than others.

I definitely discount reports that say, "I made this change, and it's much quieter!" as possible placebo effects. Also, I'm struck by the number of times people say "I made this change and didn't notice a significant difference."

On a related note, someone here said "I got the Vredestein Quatrac Pro tires, and they are MUCH quieter." I bought those tires and found them noisier than the originals.

*Neither the subject nor the person administering the test knows which treatment is being presented. The tester can unintentionally give subtle clues when giving the test or be biased in his/her interpretation of the results.
I don’t talk about my experiments with my wife or anyone I know in person. That is just how I am. I am an engineer and understand testing and design of experiments all too good.

Your line of questioning is totally in line with the “If we were able to go to the moon, why can’t we do it again?” kind of thought process.

In other words, if it is not repeatable, then it is questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: pikeman
I don’t talk about my experiments with my wife or anyone I know in person. That is just how I am. I am an engineer and understand testing and design of experiments all too good.

Your line of questioning is totally in line with the “If we were able to go to the moon, why can’t we do it again?” kind of thought process.

In other words, if it is not repeatable, then it is questionable.
What? Not sure you expressed that all too good..........or maybe that's none too good. Any experimental results which cannot be repeated are most certainly questionable. And are you suggesting we cannot and have not "gone to the moon" more than once? You know, that one time we all saw that fake landing on the television in 69. One small step, as it were........

Reactions: PianoAl
What? Not sure you expressed that all too good..........or maybe that's none too good. Any experimental results which cannot be repeated are most certainly questionable. And are you suggesting we cannot and have not "gone to the moon" more than once? You know, that one time we all saw that fake landing on the television in 69. One small step, as it were........
Nope. According to you we did not go to the moon. If so, go again now.