Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Service after 1 year...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am coming up to 1-year ownership and around 11k miles on my Model 3. Brilliant car, all happy and no issues so far. I know I don't need to do a 1-year service (according to the manual) like an ICE car but it is difficult to change your mindset after 15 years of traditional ICE annual services!

I am wondering what your experiences are after 1 year and at what point you decided to get the car serviced or checked over (Tires/brakes etc) to ensure everything is optimal. Or do I not need to worry and the car will tell me when something needs checking?

When it comes to service, should I contact Tesla directly through the app, or does anyone have experience using mechanics/traditional service centres?

Perhaps I am overthinking but I am keen to hear about experiences!

Last edited:
Unless you only do very short journeys and always charge to 100% so regen braking cannot be used your disks and pads will be showing next to no wear. 11k miles should not have your tyres on the wear limits either but you could buy a gauge for £5 to check that.

serviced or checked over (Tires/breaks etc)
My brake discs developed bands of surface rust. They work OK and not an MOT fail but unsightly. Even resorted to running low regen (that's an option on earlier cars) in order to require a little more brake use. If your discs don't clean up nicely after a drive then I would suggest you consider an early brake lube job (my pads were not moving freely). I don't think this is a widespread issue so leaving it for 2 years should be fine if discs look OK.

Hi everyone,

I am coming up to 1-year ownership and around 11k miles on my Model 3. Brilliant car, all happy and no issues so far. I know I don't need to do a 1-year service (according to the manual) like an ICE car but it is difficult to change your mindset after 15 years of traditional ICE annual services!

I am wondering what your experiences are after 1 year and at what point you decided to get the car serviced or checked over (Tires/breaks etc) to ensure everything is optimal. Or do I not need to worry and the car will tell me when something needs checking?

When it comes to service, should I contact Tesla directly through the app, or does anyone have experience using mechanics/traditional service centres?

Perhaps I am overthinking but I am keen to hear about experiences!
I contacted Local SC after 2 years (now 3) to be told that there is no Service Schedule. In USA they rotate the Wheels / Tyres but that's not really a thing in the UK, I think they also recommend Air Filter replacement but again I skipped that. If it ain't broken ..... but if you want piece of mind give them a call.

The ICE cars I owned most recently had a 2 year service interval so after 1 year there isnt much.

The brakes are an interesting point. I'd be tempted to give it a bit of stick and use them with a couple of hard stops (maybe google how you bed brakes in, I think its a few 70-20 mph stops, somewhere safe) just to exercise them and clear off any rubbish. Brake fluid also needs doing at some point, but thats after 2 or 3 years or so.

Other than the usual monthly checks like checking the tyres, pressures,, and reacting accordingly if I spot something, I'll wait until the car is 2 years old and then take it to an indy. At 3 years it will need an MOT check and from then on there are a few places like Clevely who will give the car a check over and MOT and I used them with my old MS and they did a great job.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
The brakes are an interesting point. I'd be tempted to give it a bit of stick and use them with a couple of hard stops (maybe google how you bed brakes in, I think its a few 70-20 mph stops, somewhere safe) just to exercise them and clear off any rubbish.

This is good advice ... though unfortunately (as I found) if you get a car that was assembled "dry" the pads can seize and don't move evenly so no amount of braking makes a jot of difference. Hopefully the later cars are less likely to suffer to the same extent.

I had mine "serviced" at home today by mobile ranger - 2 years old, so brake fluid / brake check, change air filters (starting to get musty smell on startup), and replace wipers - also had the boot strut O-ring replaced (again) as the one fitted in May was starting to perish. Apparently they know that the earlier replacements were of substandard rubber, and will replace whenever a car goes for service/repair.

Everything completed in under 45 mins, total cost £121.50

I had mine "serviced" at home today by mobile ranger - 2 years old, so brake fluid / brake check, change air filters (starting to get musty smell on startup), and replace wipers - also had the boot strut O-ring replaced (again) as the one fitted in May was starting to perish. Apparently they know that the earlier replacements were of substandard rubber, and will replace whenever a car goes for service/repair.

Everything completed in under 45 mins, total cost £121.50
Would they have cleaned the brakes if needed? If so, any idea how much?

No idea.

Chatting to the ranger afterward about other brands now going "subscription" for features, we got onto the MCU and the upgrades since the MS launch. He said we can actually order a replacement Ryzen MCU for our cars for £1300 (forgot to check on labour costs though), for those who wanted the faster processor.
Not dissimilar to buying a Carplay / Android headunit for an ICE car, albeit pricier!

He said we can actually order a replacement Ryzen MCU for our cars for £1300 (forgot to check on labour costs though), for those who wanted the faster processor.
Are you sure he wasn’t talking about MCU 1 to MCU 2?

I heard that physically MCU1/2 and Ryzen was not going to be offered as an upgrade as there were (currently) some physical installation differences preventing this. Some like voltage differences I can see as relatively easy to fix but I don’t think current packaging of Ryzen based unit will fit.

Excellent news if is true though.

No, he specifically said the Ryzen units could be purchased and installed. He may have been referring to M3 only, but we didn't get much further as he had another call to head to.
Previous online reports were conflicting: some said such an upgrade could be offered, others that the Ryzen units were not compatible based on size, connector, power needs, etc, but none have been clear on the outcome. It would make sense for the unit to be an upgrade option, as otherwise a failed MCU2 would leave the car as a brick unless they had a unit stored somewhere....

As with all things Tesla, we'll get confirmation in a month or 2 🤣

First (and only) 'service' on our X was at 4 years and 45k miles (roughly). New front brake pads + discs, air con regas, new wiper blades - £850, the aircon regas was surprisingly expensive due to some very specific gas they had to use.

No plans to 'service' it again till 2025 when it'll be 8 years old.

Have had plenty of visits to the service center for warranty fixes though:).

12v battery was done recently for £145, and tiers needed every 20-25k.

The benefit of Tesla is very little to service. If you are competent lubricating the brakes is a quick afternoon job, I swapped tyres round at same time. If you do your research you will find all OEM ICE manufacturers have had massive engine reliability issues for years. Partially due to tightening emissions legislation, partly due to engineered obsolesence. They want cars to have a short life, so high turn over. BMW: timing chains, cylinders, valves and stem seals....the list is long!! Kia: many catastrophic engine and gearbox failures, many vehicle fires in USA. Ford: Ecoboost engines designed to fail, blow up for fun! VW Audi Group: massive engine failures, burning oil etc etc. Many known gearbox failures. The list of ICE OEM failures is massive!! Not saying Tesla is perfect, but much fewer problems and few moving parts. Hence one reason to own. Mostly proven reliability and engineering.........and only basic servicing required. Electronics and software complex but mechanicals very simple. I have zero rust on brakes, used Bilt Hamber Atom Mac everywhere I can reach weekly. Have removed all belly pans and wheel arch liners and ACF 50 on rest via spray gun. I am more concerned about corrosion on my Tesla than mechanical failure.

Reactions: Lord Farquad