Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know yet whether a Model S or X key fob will work? TIA!

I would say no to the Model S (At least Model S prior to July, 2018) because it uses the old 315Mhz(?) weak standard. The Model X uses BT which is likely what the Model 3 does. (I don't know if the Model S fob in July, 2018 and newer just use the higher encryption fobs, or if they switched to BT as well.)

Looking forward to the stronger regen. Also hoping one day we wake up to an update that says “improved acceleration” lol.

Sadly I feel like this IS possible but won't happen. You can kinda feel the acceleration from 0-20mph is not quite as strong as once it gets above that speed, and I have a feeling it's purposely to limit tire noise and slippage. But for us RWD folks, I wouldn't doubt that the car COULD be a little bit faster still.

Reactions: woodisgood
It should be around the same that the FOBs for the S and X cost which I believe is somewhere around $125 to $150 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Previous reports (don't recall if official, unofficial "sources in the know", or speculation) were that all owners would be eligible for 2 free fobs (as would be the case when you get S or X or pretty much any other keyless car) and future vehicles would be delivered with fobs.

Replacements of course, would cost.

Previous reports (don't recall if official, unofficial "sources in the know", or speculation) were that all owners would be eligible for 2 free fobs (as would be the case when you get S or X or pretty much any other keyless car) and future vehicles would be delivered with fobs.

Nothing official on cost or not. Some unofficial definitive sounding hypothesizing they'd be free. But that and $6 will buy you a Starbucks.

Replacements of course, would cost.

All that matters is what Tesla’s official stance is. They have yet to release any official information about the key fobs so I consider any other reports out there about them being available free of charge for current owners as nothing more than unsubstantiated rumors.

All that matters is what Tesla’s official stance is. They have yet to release any official information about the key fobs so I consider any other reports out there about them being available free of charge for current owners as nothing more than unsubstantiated rumors.

FWIW a guy in the other thread (in Washington state) claims his service adviser ordered him one for $15 but he hasn't gotten it yet... (and when I suggested maybe he ordered key cards at that price he said no, he ordered 2 keycards at $5 and one fob at $15, for $25 total, and was now waiting on his order)

• Informative
Reactions: FSKT
Winter is mostly upon us, up here in Canada. That pretty much means regen is low most of the time. :(

Once the car is driven and warmed up, it's fine of course, but I've only had the car about a month, and I LOVE regen. Now I'll have to mostly live with minor regen until spring has sprung.