Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of feel like every owner should be entitled to one free or heavily subsidized fob. Yeah other auto manufacturers charge up to $300 for a replacement, but in all of those instances those cars came with 1-2 free fobs upfront.

I'm considering purchasing one because my wife's android phone still doesn't always work as a key. I don't really love having to pay $150 to buy an optional fob to resolve this.

Reactions: FSKT and McFlurri
I kind of feel like every owner should be entitled to one free or heavily subsidized fob. Yeah other auto manufacturers charge up to $300 for a replacement, but in all of those instances those cars came with 1-2 free fobs upfront.

I'm considering purchasing one because my wife's android phone still doesn't always work as a key. I don't really love having to pay $150 to buy an optional fob to resolve this.

Have you disabled battery optimization/adaptive battery for the Tesla app?

Woot!

Elon Musk on Twitter

A7B24C9D-0928-4B72-B6A8-FB03240DCDE4.jpeg

Silly/serious question: why does anyone need a key fob? Is the credit card key not good enough? Not having a key fob is a big upside to M3, in my opinion.

You're right, that is a silly question. Search my older posts for my thoughtful, detailed, well written articles on why Phone-as-a-key SUCKS.

Tesla already forced me into paying an extra $14,000 for my 3, and I've been dealing with this FAIL of the phone key system since May 8. A free key fob and EAP is the least they could do for compensation and for bringing this to their attention.

Any word on whether this is a new regenerative braking setting (i.e., High) or a modification to the existing setting (Standard)?
Someone mentioned somewhere (lol) there is no new setting and that the increase didn’t even make it into 42.2. Forgot which thread that was in but in any case the intent is fixing the current standard regen setting to more like the S/X level.

That’s what I understand, anyway.

Someone mentioned somewhere (lol) there is no new setting and that the increase didn’t even make it into 42.2. Forgot which thread that was in but in any case the intent is fixing the current standard regen setting to more like the S/X level.

That’s what I understand, anyway.
See this post:
Just received the update (42.2). Also includes key fob support and increased regen braking

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners! says

Keyfobs are $15
Keycards are $5

That doesn't prevent Tesla from giving you one for free, that's just the cost for the non free ones.

>Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost.

Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New