Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the regen AWD/RWD, that makes sense. I heard about this and then when I picked up our 3D, was wondering what the fuss was about as the regent didn’t seem that bad. Then with the difference in release notes, definitely only for RWD.

As for the fob, we get two key cards; why not two fobs if desired? And perhaps those prices are so low because the fobs only have one function: proximity sensing: no doors, frunk, trunk, FWD, etc.

I thought the FCC filling said the fob has three bottons. Did I read it wrong?
No idea. I was assuming (!) it was replacing the major function of the phone and nothing else. All the other functions are on the app. Of course, frunk and trunk would be nice over Bluetooth and/or perhaps you want to do summon!

So, I guess that’s the next question: someone needs to tell us what functions are on a Model 3 fob! For that price, it’s a steal.

No idea. I was assuming (!) it was replacing the major function of the phone and nothing else. All the other functions are on the app. Of course, frunk and trunk would be nice over Bluetooth and/or perhaps you want to do summon!

So, I guess that’s the next question: someone needs to tell us what functions are on a Model 3 fob! For that price, it’s a steal.

Actually just found it in the fob "User Manual" (Page 3):

Model 3 Key Fob User Manual | Bluetooth | Electromagnetic Interference

This Key fob is used for user that don’t want to use phone nor NFC card to unlock their car. It contains three bottoms that able to unlock the frunk, door and trunk. Battery for the key fob is CR 2032 (misspelling direct from manual - hopefully, it is buttons and not bottoms)

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Actually just found it in the fob "User Manual" (Page 3):

Model 3 Key Fob User Manual | Bluetooth | Electromagnetic Interference

This Key fob is used for user that don’t want to use phone nor NFC card to unlock their car. It contains three bottoms that able to unlock the frunk, door and trunk. Battery for the key fob is CR 2032 (misspelling direct from manual - hopefully, it is buttons and not bottoms)
Excellent, thanks! Typo from autocorrect, perhaps? :D

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners! says

Keyfobs are $15
Keycards are $5

That doesn't prevent Tesla from giving you one for free, that's just the cost for the non free ones.

The guy in question hasn't actually gotten the fob yet (and somehow ordered one before the SW had even been updated to support it).

15 bucks would be insanely cheap for a fob if it's at all comparable to the ones for the S/X.

I
>Tesla has confirmed that the key fob will be included with future Model 3 purchases (no exact timeline was provided, aside from “when available“). But the bigger bit of news is that existing Model 3 owners will be able to get the key fob for free upon request. This means that current owners who’ve yearned for a fob will be able to receive one at no cost.

Tesla Model 3 Key Fob Free To Current Owners, Included For New

That link is from over a month ago and AFAIK nobody officially confirmed it.

You're right, that is a silly question. Search my older posts for my thoughtful, detailed, well written articles on why Phone-as-a-key SUCKS.

Maybe your articles should say " MY phone-as-a-key SUCKS " because not everyone's does.

My phone is absolutely perfect as a key. No problems at all. ( Samsung Galaxy Note 8 ).

I'm of the opinion that "Not All Phones are Created Equal". Some have a stronger and more reliable Bluetooth / etc. than others. That might be a large factor in this conversation.

Which phone manufacturer made your phone? List of mobile phone makers by country - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: DR61
Maybe your articles should say " MY phone-as-a-key SUCKS " because not everyone's does.

My phone is absolutely perfect as a key. No problems at all. ( Samsung Galaxy Note 8 ).

I'm of the opinion that "Not All Phones are Created Equal". Some have a stronger and more reliable Bluetooth / etc. than others. That might be a large factor in this conversation.

Which phone manufacturer made your phone? List of mobile phone makers by country - Wikipedia
My Samsung Galaxy S8 is spotty at best.

Phone as key works 90% of the time. Quite frustrating to be honest. So i really wouldnt mind an actual reliable key for my car

I’m still not convinced they’ll give out any free ones. And I doubt there is a chance that the key fob would be that cheap. They’ll likely be at least $100 each.
In a call with my local SC today, they offered Mobile Service to my home to repair my blinker issue.

At that point, I asked if I could also order 2 additional Key Cards and the response was “Absolutlely, and if you’d also like to get a Key Fob we can have Mobile Service bring it out to you on the repair call, it’s $15 if you’d like to add it.”

So at least there’s a data point. I’m probably eligible for a free Fob, but the cost to get 2 Key Cards and 1 Fob is less than $30 and brought to my home. I’m pretty sure that’s not a “money grab” by Tesla. What IS a money grab is when I had to pay $200 for my German keyfob + $100 to program it and have my car in the shop for 3hrs to do that, all because I left the Fob in my pants pocket and it went through the laundry...SMH

That being said, I’m a huge fan of using my iPhone as the key and have also not had any issues accessing/entering/driving the car. In fact, the only time I actually used the Key Card was showing my wife after we first took delivery.

@Knightshade the Key Cards were $5 each so I ordered 2 and the Fob was $15 so I ordered 1 for $25 + tax. In full disclosure, I haven’t received them yet because I’m still waiting for the Mobile Service, but this was what the Service Advisor ordered for me. Also, I didn’t ask for it, she offered the fob option.

@Hank42 I linked an article from Electrek a few posts up, and there’s a screenshot of the center console release notes for v.42 in a separate thread showing the pairing of phone/card/fob so I would call your local SC or email back asking if the information they sent you is already dated.

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

You can take it up with Frieda's Boss if you like. I suppose we'll know in a week or two.