Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Model 3 popped up on TeslaFi this morning with 2018.42.1 installed. Found this screenshot on reddit that has a snippet of the release notes (New Release notes - did not see this posted yet. : teslamotors):

View attachment 346890

This version also supposedly includes Navigate on Autopilot, but you need to confirm lane changes and there is no option to allow it to do lane changes on its own yet.

Some of this was reported by Electrek yesterday: Tesla starts releasing Navigate on Autopilot feature with disappointing caveat, update with UI changes
Tried to find the fobs on the tesla site, my account, product page etc. WHERE are they available???

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
I just got 42.3 today but haven't had a chance to do much of anything with it.

On my very short suburban drive to work today I got three warning alerts about cars either parked on the street as I was driving or cars pulling out into an intersection while I was driving at very low speeds with tons of room.

It is really annoying.

It's been speculated that since the maps download is quite large, ~5GB, it will only get downloaded if your 3 is connected to WiFi. Is your car setup to connect to WiFi when you're parked at home?

I've been on wifi at least 12 hours a day all week at home, and while I got the 42.3 update (from 39.7) this morning I don't have drive on nav.

How do you check what map version you've got? (and what version do you "need" for DoN?)

I've been on wifi at least 12 hours a day all week at home, and while I got the 42.3 update (from 39.7) this morning I don't have drive on nav.

How do you check what map version you've got? (and what version do you "need" for DoN?)

Navigate on Autopilot (it seems none of us can get the name of the feature right most of the time, myself included) should be available on any version of 2018.42.x. I don't know of any way to check which version of the maps you have. Perhaps the maps look slightly different on the display? I think I recall some talk about that on here but can't remember for sure.

Navigate on Autopilot (it seems none of us can get the name of the feature right most of the time, myself included) should be available on any version of 2018.42.x. I don't know of any way to check which version of the maps you have. Perhaps the maps look slightly different on the display? I think I recall some talk about that on here but can't remember for sure.

Drive on Navigation is what Elon called it when he announced the rollout-

Elon Musk on Twitter

I'll be happy to call it whatever it wants if it would actually show up on my menus

Updated from 39.7 to 42.3 this morning. Just a couple notes from my commute on NOA
Enabled NOA in Autopilot settings. As soon as I was out of driveway I could enable it in maps (might have been able to sooner, but didn't select my destination until after I backed out).
My first freeway is freeway and then switches to a short area of divided highway (no exit ramps, but has cross intersections without lights). The NOA reverted to normal autosteer than back to NOA with tonal and visual indications of the change.
Had one instance of a car on the on ramp causing me to slow down (it was going into a lane that starts at the on ramp, but becomes a permament lane.) Unfortunately second half of my drive is divided highway so NOA was unavailable. Several versions ago the autosteer lane changes were not available here either, so hoping at somepoint NOA will work these sections as well. Especially since I access and depart it via on/off ramps.

Overall I am impressed so far and hope it fixes the audio bugs I was starting to have on 39.7.

I received this update yesterday and today I got to test it. A few things to note for noobies. there are three steps to enable NOA. The first is a one time step to enable the feature and select the lane change behavior. The descriptions such as MadMax do not describe how the lane change is executed but rather how frequently it will attempt a lane change and is based on your set speed versus your actual speed. If you are traveling slower than your set speed and an adjacent lane is moving faster, it will attempt to change lanes. The delta in speed is what the different settings mean. With Madmax you only need to be going slightly slower for it to want to find a faster path. The second button to press is the one that appears after you have entered a route that includes freeway travel. To tell the system to use NOA instead of just AP, you need to press this button in the detailed list of turns. It will turn blue telling you it is ready. The final step is to double press the shifter all the way down (TM3) and watch the display change to a single blue line and NOA is engaged.

The next area of confusion is merging. Sometimes with moderate traffic it seems to handle the merger smoothly but in heavy traffic it drives like a skittish and timid ons lady. Most of us driving here in Souther CA are use to accelerating up to the speed of traffic or above it to effect a merger. Instead NOA always wants to slow down to merge. This can be dangerous for two reasons; 1) the drivers in the lane you are merging into expect you to speed up and 2) the drivers behind you expect you to speed up so when you abruptly slow down you create a problem for both drivers in that your behavior is unexpected. Be especially careful when merging onto a road with heavy traffic, especially stop & go traffic. It does not appear to handle this well yet.

Lane changing can be another area of confusion. In a lot of traffic, you may see the black sign saying it wants to change lanes and to confirm it but I initially found two and maybe three problems. I couldn't always tell which lane it wanted to change into so I wasn't sure whether to use the turn signal for a left or right turn, finally I found it easier to just use the drive select lever and give it a short pull down to confirm for it to go ahead. Second, it may speed up but then slow down and miss the opening. It almost always prefers to change in behind someone rather than in front of someone. Humans behave just the opposite. The reason that humans accelerate is that you reduce the chances of hitting someone in the new lane if you are speeding away from them and it gives them time to apply the brakes and slow down if need be. Slowing down and trying to squeeze in behind them is not the way people generally behave and leads to confusion for everyone. NOA needs to learn how humans handle these situations and to mimic human behavior. The instructions say you will hear a chime when the car wants to change lanes, but honestly, if it chimed I never heard it. Either the chime is too soft or missing and it needs to be strong enough to get our attention. When in heavy traffic and you are trying to watch the road and traffic it can be very hard to keep looking at the display to see if it wants to change lanes. With 4 to 8 lanes on a side here, it may or may not move you to the exit lane in time when traffic is heavy. My general rule is to start looking to get out of the HOV lane about 2 miles prior to the exit as it can easily take that long to fight your way over and it usually takes very aggressive driving to get there, especially in areas like near LAX on the 405 freeway. One time today, I had to direct the lane changes to get it over far enough and fast enough to make the exit and one time it did it almost correctly but the exit was 2 lanes wide and it put me in the wrong lane for the upcoming turn at the traffic light. The instructions say that a countdown message will appear warning you of distance remain before NOA reverts to AP but it it is there, I didn't see it so it needs to be more prominently displayed.

The last area, I am still confused on what we are supposed to do so hopefully someone that has this figured out better will chime in and that is what one is supposed to do and when once on the exit. At what point are we supposed to take over. It does a chime but still appears to be driving the car (somewhat erratically) and while one can force a disengagement (or maybe NOA is disengaged) the throttle continues to erratically change speed and the steering wheel fights you for control. The instructions posted by Tesla are not very clear. If the exit is one that leads to a stop sign or traffic signal with driver action required it should completely disengage NOA and AP and tell you to take control. If the exit is one that leads into another freeway with no stopping but merging it should continue to operate and not chime or anything other than driving the road and merging.

While on a navigation route and on surface streets, while passing vehicles parked along the road it gave the loud collision warning three times. It did not apply brakes and I could see no reason for the warning.

Another finding today is that the web browser back button won't do a back but instead closes the browser as if you pressed the X next to it. I tried numerous ways to only touch the back arrow but it always showed the X being pressed.

Finally, I think this is a huge step up from AP with a lot of promise. The car needs to learn a few things to drive a little better but the improvements are clearly coming and coming fast. I do think it will need the newer processor and I wouldn't be surprised to see the current cameras replaced with better high resolution cameras and perhaps a few more of them. As I'm sure any of you that are photographers can understand, with these cameras having different focal length lenses including some with very wide angles that tend to distort images, it can be an extra difficult processing challenge to get an accurate picture of the world around you. Imagine if as you turned your head your vision went from normal like a 50mm lens to a fisheye 15 mm lens and you were trying to identify objects and judge distance and speed. It would be very difficult.

It sure is fun being on the cutting edge of new technology. View attachment 348766:)

Note posted on TM3 for too.
Hey nice write-up!

Updated from 39.7 to 42.3 this morning. Just a couple notes from my commute on NOA
Enabled NOA in Autopilot settings. As soon as I was out of driveway I could enable it in maps (might have been able to sooner, but didn't select my destination until after I backed out).
My first freeway is freeway and then switches to a short area of divided highway (no exit ramps, but has cross intersections without lights). The NOA reverted to normal autosteer than back to NOA with tonal and visual indications of the change.
Had one instance of a car on the on ramp causing me to slow down (it was going into a lane that starts at the on ramp, but becomes a permament lane.) Unfortunately second half of my drive is divided highway so NOA was unavailable. Several versions ago the autosteer lane changes were not available here either, so hoping at somepoint NOA will work these sections as well. Especially since I access and depart it via on/off ramps.

Overall I am impressed so far and hope it fixes the audio bugs I was starting to have on 39.7.

I've been impressed. I've done two commutes with NOA so far. I've cranked the setting up to 'mad max' already since I have little tolerance for driving under set speed when other lanes are available.

Was unsure at first how it would work on commute that transitions from divided to freeway and back, and also how it would handle PA turnpike EZ pass toll both lanes.

The transition on display from blue lane lines for Auto Steer to single blue line for NOA and back to blue lanes lines is brilliant and makes the transitions back and forth obvious. This also handles the EZ pass toll lane issues, where simply keeping hands on wheel is sufficient to revert out of NOA (and auto steer) to navigate the 'booth' lane, and then a double tap puts back into autosteer with automatic upgrade to NOA shortly after.

The gray vs. red alternate paths into adjacent lanes was also very effective. I held out for a bit until past some slow semis before acknowledging lane change to get over to exit ramp to another freeway. It toggled from gray to red, back to gray as I passed each semi and had another opportunity to safely change lanes. Once I tapped the turn stalk I was impressed that NOA slowed and sped up as necessary to make the gray path actually work. It felt plenty safe merging between two semis while travelling at 70mph. (I have been using auto steer for more than 5 months.)

I still used the turn signals to initiate lane changes on my own on multiple occasions.
I have taken over for on-ramp merge several times already since NOA isn't as aggressive as average Philly metro drivers. ;-)

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer