Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.5.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes so you were being sarcastic... no the only real difference is torque, lowered suspension, and calipers. But there are range differences with the AWD variants and it likely has to do with the wheel size. When I say this I mean that I concur with the previous poster that the EPA test ratings were probably all done on 18" aero wheels. People are consistantly stating that LR RWD gets better than rated range but us AWD owners, whether performance or not over here, are saying, thats almost never the case. I believe the primary cause for this is actually the wheel size. But to me the range efficiency difference is not normally discernible unless you are going on a major road trip or use your car as a cab or are a real estate agent or something. But also, even on a long range trip.. lets say... 800 miles. Is the extra 5 minutes at the supercharger going to kill you? I'd prefer having all wheel drive and better torque if needed. Thats all.

On a highway trip, a RWD likely does have better range than I do. But in a P3D-, still on the 18s (until this snow melts...), I likely at least pull even in town, due to the added regen of the front motor. Of course, I may not pull quite even, because of the weight of the motor.

Reactions: outdoors
Agreed. The tires on the 19" and 20" rims have a lot more rolling resistance tahn the ones that come on the 18" rims. The AWD would probably be about 279 if tested on 19" rims. The Performance on 20" rims would be a little lower still but not much. As more competitive cars have been announced I think Tesla wants to highlight the range advantage it has on the LR RWD models. I have both an AWD and a RWD car. The RWD is the trip car due to meaningful range differences.
I may be one of the few who actually have a direct comparison of P3D+ with 20" and with 18". I replaced teh factory 20" with 18" wheels from TSportline equipped with MXM4's. Wh/mi for a recent ~600 miles with 20" was 323. Thus far, ~700 miles with 18" have been 277. Driving habits, road conditions, temperatures and routes were essentially similar. Obviously they were not identical but were as close as I could get. My results seem to me to be plausible, figuring ~15% reduced efficiency for the 20".

Frankly, I would not expect any appreciable efficiency improvement for Performance models but I'm confident it could be achieved. One thing I noticed when I still had my P85DL, was that I had a ~10% efficiency improvement when I used Chill mode (that was soon after the Chill mode was enabled). For anybody who wants to improve economy I think that is an easy way to do it. After all, you cannot to a Launch in Chill mode, nor can you really make jackrabbit starts or other exhibitionistic driving tactics. Of course, Chill mode really defeats the entire purpose of having a P in the first place. The AP is slightly smoother in Chill mode too.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyinDelorean
I may be one of the few who actually have a direct comparison of P3D+ with 20" and with 18". I replaced teh factory 20" with 18" wheels from TSportline equipped with MXM4's. Wh/mi for a recent ~600 miles with 20" was 323. Thus far, ~700 miles with 18" have been 277. Driving habits, road conditions, temperatures and routes were essentially similar. Obviously they were not identical but were as close as I could get. My results seem to me to be plausible, figuring ~15% reduced efficiency for the 20".

Frankly, I would not expect any appreciable efficiency improvement for Performance models but I'm confident it could be achieved. One thing I noticed when I still had my P85DL, was that I had a ~10% efficiency improvement when I used Chill mode (that was soon after the Chill mode was enabled). For anybody who wants to improve economy I think that is an easy way to do it. After all, you cannot to a Launch in Chill mode, nor can you really make jackrabbit starts or other exhibitionistic driving tactics. Of course, Chill mode really defeats the entire purpose of having a P in the first place. The AP is slightly smoother in Chill mode too.
Can you link to the specific wheels you used? This is very interesting. Thank you.

Update: Also, do you still feel that the torque/HP is pretty much the same on 18's if you were to hit the pedal? Maybe even FASTER?

Agreed. The tires on the 19" and 20" rims have a lot more rolling resistance tahn the ones that come on the 18" rims. The AWD would probably be about 279 if tested on 19" rims. The Performance on 20" rims would be a little lower still but not much. As more competitive cars have been announced I think Tesla wants to highlight the range advantage it has on the LR RWD models. I have both an AWD and a RWD car. The RWD is the trip car due to meaningful range differences.

Teslike did a chart showing the different models and wheel options for the 3. The D & P had the same efficiencies for the various size wheels.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

2019-03-11.jpg

BTW, you need not "run out" to start updates any more. I just did my 2019.5.15 update early this morning. My car is in Florida and I am in Rio de Janeiro. The app finally can start updates remotely. Mostly I suppose that does make little difference. For those of us who are often far away from our cars this is a major improvement in the app.:)

Oh I know. But what's the fun in just pushing a button!

Reactions: jbcarioca
I got the 5.15 update yesterday afternoon (LR RWD). I just charged to 90% and got 284 miles. Teslafi says my 100% range would be 316 miles.

Before this update, 90% charges would typically give me 278-279. The few times I charged to 100%, I would get 309-310.

I got the 5.15 update yesterday afternoon (LR RWD). I just charged to 90% and got 284 miles. Teslafi says my 100% range would be 316 miles.

Before this update, 90% charges would typically give me 278-279. The few times I charged to 100%, I would get 309-310.
The amount of increase range you got is similar to what I got this morning. Definitely not the 5% that was advertised.

Mine went from 219 to 229 miles of range, which extrapolates to 324 miles at 100%, assuming that 100% before the update was 310. A day before the update, I charged the battery to 100% (exactly 310 miles) and drained it down to 14%, so it should be fairly well calibrated.

Do you have a USB drive in? The red light won’t come on the TeslaCam icon until one is installed so it can begin recording.

As for the Big Red Eye on Sentry Mode, it also needs the usb drive in place and in my testing didn’t pop up on the center screen, along with headlight flash to catch someone’s attention the car was alive, until we kind of pounded on a window or leaned hard against the door. It was recording us standing along side the car. As for the Alarm it’s not suppose to go off until someone breaks a window to gain access. That test I’m not going to do. :) I wonder if this update includes any update to Sentry Mode’s sensitivity to people just walking by the car or cars driving past. Most of my 5.4 Sentry Mode SavedClip recordings were of that and only one was of a family getting into a car next to me so in very close proximity to my car.

Thanks...I got it...it works great! The red eye turns on even when you peak inside the window...pretty kool. Now are they working on some audible warning by any chance?