Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Update 2019.9.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don't want that. If a bad patch goes out to the whole fleet and they all fail....that's the end of Tesla. If a bad patch goes out and 5% fail, then it's survivable.

Software updates are a complicated thing.

I chose the word "available" for a specific reason. They can control the availability and give people a bit of choice. For example, I'd roll back to my last 2018 build if I could do so.

I am well aware of how complex software updates are.

Reactions: Sputnik19
I chose the word "available" for a specific reason. They can control the availability and give people a bit of choice. For example, I'd roll back to my last 2018 build if I could do so.

I am well aware of how complex software updates are.
I guess that would depend on your opinion of the average person. Mine is pretty low so I'd expect all sorts of headaches to arise from that. ;)

That's a good point, the sample on Tesla related forums is going is going to fall heavily on those who follow the updates and know when they are. I will disagree with you in that I'd rather have a bricked phone than car though - I can still get home with a bricked phone :D

I guess they have no Uber/Lyft in NE Ohio? Of course, without my phone, I couldn't get an Uber.

That just seems odd from an IT Major Incident Response background. I normally need to know about the current state, or the state it was in when the problem arose.

The only time I would immediately go to new firmware, is if the issue was known and documented, and the firmware is a vetted resolution to the issue.

but hey...that's just kinda...IT industry standard. LOL
Not sure this this true. Whenever I have a problem with a PC game (i.e crash or performance issue) and go for support. The first thing support line for that game company asks you to do is make sure you have the latest video drivers installed and then came back to us if problem persists. They won't even go any further with troubleshooting until you do that first.

Reactions: Pkmmte
They don't want that. If a bad patch goes out to the whole fleet and they all fail....that's the end of Tesla. If a bad patch goes out and 5% fail, then it's survivable.
So why not give it to the 5% that request the update through the app. Why give it to some random person who doesn't follow these forums, not aware of the features in upcoming updates, and probably cares very little.

I don't think there are more than 5% of people that would request it anyway. Most people are busy with their lives and are not as engaged as we are in this forum. We are a tiny minority.

Giving it first to only those who request it would also absolve Tesla of some liability too since we chose to request it knowing full well the software is not fully cooked.

Tesla should follow Microsoft's playbook when it comes to pre-released software. Microsoft allows anybody to opt into what they call the "insider program". If you are in it, you get pre-released software that could have some bugs but is on the cutting edge. Then people can choose their own level of risk they are comfortable with.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Not sure this this true. Whenever I have a problem with a PC game (i.e crash or performance issue) and go for support. The first thing support line for that game company asks you to do is make sure you have the latest video drivers installed and then came back to us if problem persists. They won't even go any further with troubleshooting until you do that first.

I don't work in the video game industry. I could see where that would be true for that world. I work in a world of controlled IT infrastructures, where changes need to be approved. Apples and oranges.

I guess they have no Uber/Lyft in NE Ohio? Of course, without my phone, I couldn't get an Uber.
Yep, we have both of those but I have a Tesla.... why would I want anyone else to drive me around? :D

Actually, though I think that if you own a car here you are much more likely to drive yourself where you need to go unless it's something like the airport or out on the town. Cleveland isn't as large as LA so I think it's a bit more suited to driving and parking yourself making Uber and Lyft less necessary except for specific cases. On the other hand it could be my age talking too.

Yep, we have both of those but I have a Tesla.... why would I want anyone else to drive me around? :D

Actually, though I think that if you own a car here you are much more likely to drive yourself where you need to go unless it's something like the airport or out on the town. Cleveland isn't as large as LA so I think it's a bit more suited to driving and parking yourself making Uber and Lyft less necessary except for specific cases. On the other hand it could be my age talking too.

The Uber question was in jest, but yes, I prefer to drive my Tesla but have alternate means if the car has issues. On the other hand, I am dead in the water for work if my phone fails (I have a back-up phone but it takes hours to restore when I need it).

In a cruel twist of fate, I got the 8.3 update last night and the update failed while installing so now need to have the update pushed again. Luckily, my car still seems drivable. My first update on the 3 had failed, bricked my car and ended up in service for over a week and needed the HV module replaced (I think it was just a had module from beginning and the update just surfaced the problem).

So why not give it to the 5% that request the update through the app. Why give it to some random person who doesn't follow these forums, not aware of the features in upcoming updates, and probably cares very little.

I don't think there are more than 5% of people that would request it anyway. Most people are busy with their lives and are not as engaged as we are in this forum. We are a tiny minority.

Giving it first to only those who request it would also absolve Tesla of some liability too since we chose to request it knowing full well the software is not fully cooked.

Tesla should follow Microsoft's playbook when it comes to pre-released software. Microsoft allows anybody to opt into what they call the "insider program". If you are in it, you get pre-released software that could have some bugs but is on the cutting edge. Then people can choose their own level of risk they are comfortable with.
If I were Tesla I wouldn't bother with that extra effort. Sure personally I'm willing to take the risk and get software earlier.