Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering why they don't roll out the update to all Tesla's at once. I haven't seen anyone post any major issues with the update.
The roll out updates the Google way instead of the Apple way. Usually so that if there are issues they can catch it before the whole fleet is affected. Didn't Elon say they were going to add a way for us to request the update from the car instead of having to call?

The roll out updates the Google way instead of the Apple way. Usually so that if there are issues they can catch it before the whole fleet is affected. Didn't Elon say they were going to add a way for us to request the update from the car instead of having to call?

I read something about that. But I thought the updates we're automatic. You have had to call to get an update?

I read something about that. But I thought the updates we're automatic. You have had to call to get an update?

The updates might be uploaded to the car automatically, but they are not installed automatically. You'll see a big message on the screen telling you the update is available and asking if you want to install it now or later, and if you select later, you can tell it when to install. There will also be a message from the app if you have enabled alerts from the app. It takes 45 minutes to install and during that time the car cannot be driven. That's why you have to okay the installation and specify a time, now or later.

Some people have phoned and asked for the update. Apparently that is generally not granted, but under special circumstances it might be. (???) I gather that visits to the service center also invoke installation of the latest firmware, but if 24 has been withdrawn you'd just get 21 instead.

I am wondering why they don't roll out the update to all Tesla's at once. I haven't seen anyone post any major issues with the update.

I have seen people post that the update bricked their car, probably a reason to slow their roll.

I remember an iPhone update we released that bricked people’s phones and the ONLY solution we had was, wait. Later that week we had a fix but ouch if you were one of those who lost access for those few days.

-Randy

Last night when I looked it was out to 40 model 3s and over 1,000 S & Xs. Why so slow to 3s is a mystery. One area that Tesla really needs to improve is communications. A simple bulletin put out to Electrek and the EV publications or email to owners could say, "Software version 2018.24.1 is being rolled out more slowly to model 3s because we have seen an occasional issue and want to verify if a problem exists before initiating wide roll out." At least model 3 owners would understand the need to wait. With silence, no one knows what is happening or why.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV and daniel
Last night when I looked it was out to 40 model 3s and over 1,000 S & Xs. Why so slow to 3s is a mystery. One area that Tesla really needs to improve is communications. A simple bulletin put out to Electrek and the EV publications or email to owners could say, "Software version 2018.24.1 is being rolled out more slowly to model 3s because we have seen an occasional issue and want to verify if a problem exists before initiating wide roll out." At least model 3 owners would understand the need to wait. With silence, no one knows what is happening or why.

YES!!! We want information. Keep us in the loop, Tesla. I'm sure there's a good reason why they stopped sending out v. 24, and a slow roll-out makes complete sense. But the secrecy is frustrating.

I know it’s hard to believe, but most Tesla owners don’t read TMC or EV blogs and have no idea what firmware version they’re on. When the car says an update is available they install it. There’s no benefit to Tesla to call attention to having a problem with an update, and no benefit of a notice to the owners who haven’t received it other than partially satisfying their curiosity. After a few years hopefully new Model 3 owners will chill out about getting updates as most S and X owners have.

I know it’s hard to believe, but most Tesla owners don’t read TMC or EV blogs and have no idea what firmware version they’re on. When the car says an update is available they install it. There’s no benefit to Tesla to call attention to having a problem with an update, and no benefit of a notice to the owners who haven’t received it other than partially satisfying their curiosity. After a few years hopefully new Model 3 owners will chill out about getting updates as most S and X owners have.

Wellll...I agree with the first part of your post but not the last. There’s no intrinsic reason for new Tesla owners to be any more knowledgeable about firmware revs etc. if they have an S or X vs. a 3. Put another way everyone has to start from something.

Certainly the abbreviated delivery experience that all owners seem to get nowadays isn’t helping matters. It feels like there could be some kind of demand for supplemental training but that’s another subject entirely.

Bruce.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
Wellll...I agree with the first part of your post but not the last. There’s no intrinsic reason for new Tesla owners to be any more knowledgeable about firmware revs etc. if they have an S or X vs. a 3. Put another way everyone has to start from something.

Certainly the abbreviated delivery experience that all owners seem to get nowadays isn’t helping matters. It feels like there could be some kind of demand for supplemental training but that’s another subject entirely.

Bruce.
Let's not forget we (at least myself) are geeks who learn ahead of time what's in updates and then pine for those updates. Can you blame anyone considering there have been some awesome features consistently coming out last 6 months?!

Reactions: bmah
I was told by Tesla support that they are no longer rolling out v24 full scale, but instead are working hard at putting the wraps on v26 and getting that out. They confirmed some details that the Bluetooth echo on voice calls and the shadow braking will also improve in the new release and that they have been struggling with those problems but they made some breakthrough with Apple recently.

Not sure how long the wait will be but I’m no longer holding my breath for v24. I’m sure a car here or there will still report v24 updates because they may have received it but never installed it earlier, or if support seems it critical (not sure why that would be the case really).

I was told by Tesla support that they are no longer rolling out version 24 full scale, instead they are working hard at putting the wraps on version 26 and getting that out. They confirmed that the Bluetooth echo on voice calls and the shadow braking will also improve in the new release. Not sure how long the wait will be but I’m no longer holding my breath for v24. I’m sure a car here or there will still report v24 updates because they may have received it but never installed it earlier, or if support seems it critical (not sure why that would be the case really).

Hopefully 26 will come out soon and fast. Phone call echo is horrible, plus want that summon to play with.

The echo is horrendous on V24, worse than on V21 by a lot. My wife says she can't understand what I am saying and intermittently it cuts her out completely too so I can't hear her at all. How this team manages to screw up old features with the release of new features is a mystery to me. It smacks of too many items working without communicating with one another and stepping all over each other's code.

Bruce.

I agree. From what I've observed hanging around the Tesla store recently, most people have no clue. My parents had no clue when they picked up.

Even me, someone who's on this Tesla board, didn't really pay much attention to the firmware. I got 5-10 minutes with the car. I was more concerned trying to see if there was anything wrong with the car than worry about the firmware (there were some issues). I got about 2 days notice that I was getting the car, so I hadn't learned about the differences in current firmwares because I wasn't expecting the car so soon.