Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 spare tire options? (Not modern spare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I plan on getting the modern spare kit but I am going on a small road trip and need a last minute spare. What should I use?

Also I am swapping my uberturbines for 18s so maybe just a tire inflator is fine?

If you carry an air compressor (you should) it will cover all but the very worst tire damage.
I've never had a tire failure that an air compressor could fix. That's only useful against the very slowest of leaks, which TPMS is already an excellent defense against since it warns you quite early.

If you don't have a way to plug a hole (and a reliable way to access that hole, which generally means a jack) you're not repairing much on the side of the road.

I have a tool bag with a plug kit, air compressor, jack and lug nut wrench in the frunk. That is enough to handle every flat I've had in my lifetime. Some people on this forum seem to have an affinity for curbs so they may get sidewall damage where this solution would be insufficient. In that case at least I could still take the tire off and uber to a tire store for a replacement tire to be mounted probably quicker than waiting on a tow and fix.

• Funny
Reactions: Rodney! and m3p-ev
Hey all, I've got a full size spare and two ways to carry it (in the trunk and on the hitch).

I did a DIY writeup on the trunk and will post an update with the hitch carrier in the next few days.
1686759448169.png

I suggest a spare is a waste of money. If you carry an air compressor (you should) it will cover all but the very worst tire damage. You can augment this with something like tow services through your insurance carrier or AAA.

I have had a few flat tires during my 40 yrs of driving. First time on the freeway, I was trying to replace with the spare myself. Suddenly a road service stopped by and did the work in 10 mins FOR FREE. I wanted to give a tip but the service man said it was a free service from Chevron. The few other times, I had to replace the spare tire myself, then drove the car to Wheel Works where I bought the tires (50K miles warranty). Wheel Works fix the flat (if fixable) for FREE, they also do wheel balancing and tire rotation (every 5K or 6K miles) for free.
Now that I just got a Tesla without a spare tire !!! For city driving, no issue as I can call Tesla Road service, OR fix the flat myself with the a kit already bought from Amazon. For long road trip, this kit may be sufficient OR maybe NOT. I doubt that anyone like to be stranded out of nowhere for long If the flat cannot be fixed, the spare tire will certainly save the day. Bottom line: I am inclined to buy the spare tire kit from Amazon, the link is given below. And only carry it on long road trip. BTW, the weight of this kit is 40 lbs which is barely 1/4 to 1/3 of a normal adult weight.

The review of this kit complains that the jack when fully close does not slide under the jack point. Well, plastic ramps or home made wood ramps will raise the car up enough so that's not an issue.

There's a new option for those who fear a flat tire. Some new tires, I think, of Pirelli fame, have permanent sealant inside that prevents air flowing out through a hole from a nail in the tire.

I don't know any details. Please report, if you know more.

There's a new option for those who fear a flat tire. Some new tires, I think, of Pirelli fame, have permanent sealant inside that prevents air flowing out through a hole from a nail in the tire.
Michelin offers a few tires with this stuff, which it calls SelfSeal. But there are not that many tires with that feature. GM chose to use a Michelin Energy Saver AS with SelfSeal tire as original equipment on the Chevrolet Bolt.

Flat tire due to nail can be fixed with a flat tire repait kit. Only flat tire with side wall damage is serious if you are in a no where place. Tire with permanent sealant inside will not heal itself in this case.

I just got my Stance Magic spare tire kit, ordered from Amazon. Took only 3 days for delivery.
I went thru a visual check of this entire kit. The spare wheel has same diameter as the M3 tires, the width is only 5.5 inch compare to 10+ inches for M3 tires.
That should be good enough to drive the car to the nearest tire service station. The scissor jack is 5.25 inch height at its lowest position. the lift point already has a puck that fit the lifting hole of the M3. I did try to jack my M3 up a bit, it works OK, no issue.
5.25 inch fits perfectly for tire rotation (but need one more jack or jack stand) to lift both wheels on one side up.
If the tire is flat, The car need to go on to a ramp to get this clearance.
Anyway, this kit only goes with my M3 on long road trip (for peace of mind).
For city driving, my flat tire kit should do. If it does not, I will call Tesla road service.
At 320+tax (350$), this spare tire kit is worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna