Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I know what he meant. And I am familiar with the concept of mean radiant temperature as part of the comfort equation.

Sure, but which part? The thermal mass of a interior of a car sized chuck of air is roughly 4.2 BTU per °F, while a steering wheel alone is around 2.9 BTU per °F, only slightly less than warming the air of the whole car. But that isn't the only factor, the interface temperature for a solid steering wheel means that it needs to be a lot warmer to feel the same as the air. So, it need to be close to 85°F to feel the same as 68°F air.

If we take the starting temperature as 0°F, the Air will require 285 BTU while the Steering wheel will require 246 BTUs. Now add in seats.

NOTES: This is only one small part of the whole calculation, because among other things, once one thing is warm, it will cool off making other things warmer. Comparing heat losses across all surfaces (i.e. to air) versus just hands against a solid surface, is flawed at best. We haven't even started to look at thermal conductivity. But I hope I have given some sense of the degree of complication that is involved in trying to answer this question. Sorry about the imperial units, that is what I am most familiar with.

Thank you kindly.

Your point of the air itself being easy to heat while the more solid masses are difficult ignores several factors:

Sitting on a 0°F seat, holding a leather wrapped metal bar at 0°F in 68°F air (or even 85°F air) feels horrible while sitting on a heated seat holding onto something warm in 0°F air is far more pleasant.

Heating the cabin air to 68°F involves heating a heck of a lot more than just the air, since you need to heat up basically every surface with that air before the temperature actually gets near there.

There's also the MASSIVE thermal loss through the huge amount of single-pane glass everywhere, resulting in needing a large amount of continuous heat being needed to maintain temperature. While once the seat and wheel have been warmed there is much less loss to the ambient environment

My wife (the ultimate judge of "cold" is comfortable being in a car with heated seats and steering wheel when the air is plenty cold enough to see her breath, while we have to heat our house to a blistering 75°F air temperature and she will still use 3 blankets and 3kW of space heaters and be cold. (My daily driver doesn't have heated seats or wheel, and she will set the climate control to 85°F for about an hour before being willing to turn it down - no, that's not because the heater is weak). The heated steering wheel and seats are a complete miracle in terms of her comfort.

I'll chime in about the heated steering wheel: it's a great quality of life upgrade that you don't know you want until you have it, especially if you get cold hands like I do. The idea sounded idiotic to me, but when I got my loaded Volt it included a heated steering wheel, and I FELL IN LOVE when I finally got around to using it, and I live in Southern California where low 60s is considered freezing and 50s is our version of an ice age. Hell, I sometimes use it when it's warm out because I have my AC blowing cold air at my face, which can sometimes make my hands feel cold and the steering wheel is lovely. I can't even imagine how useful a person who lives somewhere where it hits freezing temperatures on a regular basis would find a heated steering wheel.

I really hope the 3 has a heated steering wheel in one of the packages. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'd be much, much happier with one than without.

I'll chime in about the heated steering wheel: it's a great quality of life upgrade that you don't know you want until you have it, especially if you get cold hands like I do. The idea sounded idiotic to me, but when I got my loaded Volt it included a heated steering wheel, and I FELL IN LOVE when I finally got around to using it, and I live in Southern California where low 60s is considered freezing and 50s is our version of an ice age. Hell, I sometimes use it when it's warm out because I have my AC blowing cold air at my face, which can sometimes make my hands feel cold and the steering wheel is lovely. I can't even imagine how useful a person who lives somewhere where it hits freezing temperatures on a regular basis would find a heated steering wheel.

I really hope the 3 has a heated steering wheel in one of the packages. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'd be much, much happier with one than without.
But guuuuuuyyyyyyys - if the car is driving itself, why are touching the steering wheel!?!

ignores several factors

I listed my caveats.

Sitting on a 0°F seat, holding a leather wrapped metal bar at 0°F in 68°F air (or even 85°F air) feels horrible while sitting on a heated seat holding onto something warm in 0°F air is far more pleasant.

Comparing heat losses across all surfaces (i.e. to air) versus just hands against a solid surface, is flawed at best. We haven't even started to look at thermal conductivity.

There's also the MASSIVE thermal loss through the huge amount of single-pane glass everywhere, resulting in needing a large amount of continuous heat being needed to maintain temperature. While once the seat and wheel have been warmed there is much less loss to the ambient environment

Care to show your math?

But I hope I have given some sense of the degree of complication that is involved in trying to answer this question.

I think you are laboring under the impression that I am arguing one side or the other. I am just trying to clarify the issues.

Thank you kindly

I like you. Sometimes when I'm driving home I wish I could blow cold air on my face, and have hot air warming my freezing feet (again, bad blood flow)! I accomplish this by opening the window and turning the heat on.