Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR vs SR+

Am I crazy?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i determined that my budget is 40K (base price) for my new model 3 but i am very torn between 2 options

1) Get a Standard Range in red without the SR+ features with the option to upgrade down the line

or

2) Get a SR+ in white with all the SR+ features

I've wanted a Red model 3 since the model 3 was announced but i feel like a total psycho limiting myself to SR features just for a color. AP is awesome but in New York city with a 11 mile commute i doubt ill use it more than 20 times a year, I hear sound system is still pretty good without the immersive sound, Live traffic doesnt really matter because the route still uses the traffic data, battery range from 250 down to 220 i cant really do any trips over 450 miles with 250 anyway so not much of a loss in my eyes.

Get the SR as you can still safely charge to the same amount and you will only miss the range if you got over the theoretical 220 miles in one trip. I prefer listening without the ambient sound as it adds midrange and sounds less natural. You have to subscribe ($10/month) to see live traffic and / or satellite maps with either version. You get the same front heated seats with both with a $300 option to permanently turn on the rears seat heaters as well.

The other real difference is AP and at this point, I still would rather have standard cruise as AP can do some funky things (phantom braking, not work if the cameras are dirty, etc...).

My 2 cents...

I chose white with white interior, because the car stays much cooler in the summer. The Model 3 keeps itself from getting too hot inside by using the AC (cabin overheat protection) while parked. So that's using power. The white one will probably improve your range in the summer. Based on a color theory class I took in college, red is very close to black in terms of absorbing light and heat.

The bulk of the extra money for an SR+ is AutoPilot, and for a lot of people, that's money wasted. I almost never use it.

SR is the best value Tesla, and the smart choice.

I have the red with white, and it's striking. But keep in mind that red seems to be the color Tesla does the worst right now, so you have a very good chance of getting bumpers that don't match, and panels that have uneven color, not to mention the normal dust nibs, chips, and scratches that Tesla adds free of charge. If I had to do it again, I would get white and save that $2K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stach
FWIW the white looks great in person. I don't think you'll be upset by it, and the contrast with the standard alloys when you take the aero covers off IIRC looks best with white or the grey. That's completely subjective so of course YMMV.

Autopilot and the full connectivity I didn't expect to get in SR+ but it's a welcome bonus that we use some aspect of daily. AP is a very nervous driver in my experience but great for efficiency/range on multi-lane highways.
You have to subscribe ($10/month) to see live traffic and / or satellite maps with either version.
Is that after the first year in SR+ as we aren't paying a subscription as yet.

We went through the same justification but SR+ vs LR and do not feel any pain for not being able to stretch to the higher priced option. And my superpower is buyer-regret. So, which ever way this pans out, I expect you'll love it.

Buying an SR for $35K if your budget is restrictive is a great idea. It’s a lot of car for the money and it sounds like you won’t miss the autopilot given that you have a short city commute.

But paying an extra $2K to go from white to red on a $35K is just plain crazy. Just don’t do it. The white car is fantastic looking.

It really depends on the person. For me, AP works wonders

Yup, it's literally the reason I bought the car.

Now I do drive considerably more than 11 miles...nearly 70-80 a day... and 90%+ of it is highway- which is the ideal use case for AP... if I was doing only 11 miles, and it was mostly on city/local roads APs not meant to be used, it'd be a totally different story.

Yup, it's literally the reason I bought the car.

Now I do drive considerably more than 11 miles...nearly 70-80 a day... and 90%+ of it is highway- which is the ideal use case for AP... if I was doing only 11 miles, and it was mostly on city/local roads APs not meant to be used, it'd be a totally different story.

Yeah, I am nearly the same case as you, but about 60 miles a day about 85% highway. You can imagine the terrible LA traffic would do to me mentally if I didn't have a car with autopilot (or radar cruise control). Plus the ability to enter HOV lane solo, it makes my commute so much better.

For OP, I would think New York would be suffering from traffic like in LA. But like you said, AP may not be worth it depends on his commute situation.

This is what my SR+ showed early morning for a 100% charge on the guessometer. It was cold, but still

mtAtMvo.png

My SR+ isn't even getting SR range right now lol

Go with an SR if you don't care about driving with traffic. Autopilot is really nice in traffic though

Autopilot and the full connectivity I didn't expect to get in SR+ but it's a welcome bonus that we use some aspect of daily. AP is a very nervous driver in my experience but great for efficiency/range on multi-lane highways.

You only get premium connectivity for 30 days with the SR or SR+. Either you are grandfathered in due to when you got your model 3, you're paying for it without knowing, or there's a mistake on Tesla's end.

FWIW the white looks great in person. I don't think you'll be upset by it, and the contrast with the standard alloys when you take the aero covers off IIRC looks best with white or the grey. That's completely subjective so of course YMMV.

We went through the same justification but SR+ vs LR and do not feel any pain for not being able to stretch to the higher priced option. And my superpower is buyer-regret. So, which ever way this pans out, I expect you'll love it.

I just test drove a white SR+ and it's definitely much more appealing in person! reconsidering everything haha