Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires, Tire Sizes, Types, make / model recommendations, tire discussions, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are trying to have your cake and eat it too. Tires are a big trade-off. You can't have a nice wide tire for great handling and a big tall sidewall for great ride in the same tire. Choose one or the other. Going wider with a big sidewall is going to make the tires too tall and probably cause problems beyond just messing up your speedometer.

Discount Tires doesn't seem to have Sport EV tires available on their website, maybe they do if I call them. My MXM4s only lasted 18k miles.

Edit: I called Discount Tires, and asked about PSEVs, and they said they don't have them so I ordered PS4s instead.

Last edited:
Discount Tires doesn't seem to have Sport EV tires available on their website, maybe they do if I call them. My MXM4s only lasted 18k miles.

Edit: I called Discount Tires, and asked about PSEVs, and they said they don't have them so I ordered PS4s instead.
That would seem the sensible thing to do; I‘m interested in the EV’s too, but with them not being available yet, I just likewise bought another set of PS4S.

Does anyone have recommendations on tire size for a 20x9+30? I’m wanting to run 235/35/20 to help with range but I’m afraid it might be too stretched. I’m thinking 245 might be a safer bet. Any help is appreciated.
Track package uses 245/35/20 tires. Stock uses 235/35/20 on 20x9 wheels, which makes them look a bit stretched.

You could go 265/35/20 on 9" @ +30 offset no problem, but at that point you're off by more than 1% on the speedometer and really impacting range with that contact patch.

Reactions: Rob6385
I've got the Continental ProContact RX tires and they'll be done soon as I near 30k miles on my LR RWD '18 Model 3. After doing some research, I've narrowed my replacement options to:

The stock Continental ProContact RX
Continental PureContact LS
Michelin Pilot Sport EV

The Michelin are likely not going to happen because they aren't available yet, are a summer-only tire, are going to be expensive I bet. They're also an extreme-type tire and I am not necessarily an extreme-type driver most of the time.

The stock Contis have been fine, but I'm looking for something equally as sporty, maybe quieter, and with about the same low rolling resistance. Anyone have experience replacing the stock Contis with the PureContact LS or another LRR (low rolling resistance) tire you like? It looks like the PureContact LS doesn't have foam like the stock Contis do, but other reviews say they're quiet anyway.

I know there's a few threads about this, but none really directly compare the 19" Continentals to anything.

I am at about 34k miles on my 2019 M3 with stock 19’s. Want an all season tire preferably with the triple peak to deal with the Maryland winters. Would also like a wider tire to give me a little coverage on the outside of my rims because I am so tired of curb rash! Wondering if 245/40/19 Michelin Crossclimate 2’s will fit in my stock 19’s?

Here is the sidewall info on my new 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL:

20210831_165332.jpg

We're about to drive from California to Nevada. I value low road noise and efficiency over ride quality.

To what pressure would you set your tires?

Thanks!

I vote 48psi cold (make sure your alignment is good too), although note that with the efficiency gain, you might not only sacrafice ride quality (ok, expected) but also road noise (it will increase).

As an extremely happy Quatrac Pro owner on two family ICE cars and Hypertrac recently put on the EV, depending on your use of the car, and if you value efficiency over most everything else, you should have gone with Hypertrac.

However, if you expect to drive often in packed snow, then the Quatrac Pros are the better choice.

I spoke to Apollo/Vredestein and although they dont advertize it or provide it to any 3rd parties in the spec sheet, the rolling resistance difference between same size Quatrac Pros and Hypertracs is staggering. Not even close. Road noise is also lower with the Hypertrac.