Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first saw this thread I thought "yes, this is exactly what I need - a bunch of car fanatics discussing what winter tires the M3 needs!".

After reading through all this nothing is at all clearer than before the thread. :/ I just want someone to tell me what the cheapest & best option is, but there appears to be no consensus. I know nothing about tires...
Yeah I agree. Can we get on topic here guys.

Winter is coming. I need tires.

Winter is coming.
iu

• Funny
Reactions: akidesir and YusufT
My car doesn’t arrive until Oct-Dec. I can imagine the 18” “winter package” (or even just the wheels) will be long out of stock as the cold weather approaches. Wonder if I should get a jump on things and order them early to have them ready for when the car arrives.

My car doesn’t arrive until Oct-Dec. I can imagine the 18” “winter package” (or even just the wheels) will be long out of stock as the cold weather approaches. Wonder if I should get a jump on things and order them early to have them ready for when the car arrives.
If you’re buying it anyways and can buy it now, why not? Like you said there is a big possibility of it going out of stock.

I am deciding between two options for my tire + wheels for winter.

First Option (Tesla):

Tesla Winter Tire + Wheel Package for $2400
  • Pirelli Sottozero series II (Value of approx. 350/each) = $1400
  • Includes TPMS (Value of approx. 250) = $250
  • Aero Wheels (Value of $250/each) = $1000
  • I’m assuming balancing + mounting of tire and wheel
  • Total Value = $2650 for only $2400
Advantage:
  • Better value for money
  • OEM Aero Wheels that has better efficiency and probably easier to clean during winter
Second Option (Kal Tires):
  • Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 (290/each) = $1160
  • Gloss Black Impulse Wheels (170/each) = $680
  • TPMS = $250
  • Mounting + Balancing = $92
  • Hub Centric Rings = $24
  • Customer Care Plan = Free (Lifetime air, rotation, flat repair, balancing)
  • Total before tax = $2206
Advantage
  • Customer Care Plan
  • Nearby since I live in Ottawa
  • Not too sure but I’ve been hearing that Nokian tires are one of the most superior tires for winter, so assuming Nokian>Pirelli

Which option do you guys think I should choose?

To add on to my post, and I hope it helps OP, I am leaning more towards choosing the Kal Tire because of the Nokian tires but if there isn't a significant difference between Nokian and Pirelli I would go with Tesla Tire option. If you guys could input on the performance difference of the Nokian and Pirelli in winter that would be awesome!

Last edited:

First Option (Tesla):

Advantage:
  • Better value for money
  • OEM Aero Wheels that has better efficiency and probably easier to clean during winter
  • TPMS = $250
Advantage
  • Customer Care Plan
  • Not too sure but I’ve been hearing that Nokian tires are one of the most superior tires for winter, so assuming Nokian>Pirelli

To add on to my post, and I hope it helps OP, I am leaning more towards choosing the Kal Tire because of the Nokian tires but if there isn't a significant difference between Nokian and Pirelli I would go with Tesla Tire option. If you guys could input on the performance difference of the Nokian and Pirelli in winter that would be awesome!
Im thinking of using my 18" Tesla rims as my winter set but putting on Hakkapeliittas on them, ill put my wheel covers back on to help with the range. Next summer ill put on a 19" aftermarket setup. I think the Nokians are superior to the Pirellis. Let me know what you decide.

for the extra

First Option (Tesla):

Advantage:
  • Better value for money
  • TPMS = $250
Advantage
  • Customer Care Plan

For the extra $200, I'd go with the Tesla option. How and where did you get the pricing for the Tesla analysis?

First Option (Tesla):

Advantage:
  • Better value for money
  • TPMS = $250
Advantage
  • Customer Care Plan

From what I read from online review the Pirellis are not a good winter tire for Canada. They're more of a Californian's opinion of what a winter tire is. Good at temperatures hovering near 0, wet and slushy. Not so good for the hard core 3 feet of snow and -25 degree temperatures we get in Canada.

This is typical of all things Tesla, they designed the car with California in mind. "Winter package? Who the hell needs that? Just put it in the Premium Upgrade Package since nobody would ever need that."

Im thinking of using my 18" Tesla rims as my winter set but putting on Hakkapeliittas on them, ill put my wheel covers back on to help with the range. Next summer ill put on a 19" aftermarket setup. I think the Nokians are superior to the Pirellis. Let me know what you decide.

That was one of my options too but with 18" wheels and reusing the all season. If I was able to sell the all season for a good price I'd do the 19" as well. I'm assuming you're selling them. How much do you think you'll get out of them?

for the extra

For the extra $200, I'd go with the Tesla option. How and where did you get the pricing for the Tesla analysis?

The Aero rims from a previous post here. Most of the values are based on assumptions from how much the service and parts cost at kal tires such as the tpms and the pirelli tires so they are approximations. I also didn't list the value of mounting and balancing so that would add approx. an additional $100.00.

I've had good luck with pmctire.com in Quebec. They ship anywhere in Canada.

Been looking at the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 myself. I believe they can be installed on the stock 18" rims.

They have this tire at Costco so I will probably get this in Oct/Nov (BC) and then have them mount on the Stock rims as well. Then but silver rims in the summer for the summer tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: darkenergy
So I've decided on getting the michelin Xice Xi3 from Costco when they have the promotion for 70 dollars off the set of tires. They have it listed for 255 currently.

I have read from some articles that the Nokian tires do not perform as well when the pavement can become dry or slushy. I figure Ottawa with its bipolar weather that the Xi3 would be a better balance.

I'm also putting on the tires on the Aero then buying new wheels for the summer to reuse the all seasons given..