Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you need a TPMS sensor, or can you disable it in the UI to prevent alarms?

Any third party ones work?
$85each... Ouch!

Also would Aero cover help or hinder salt corrosion issues on brakes?
If you don’t install the sensors, you won’t have your tire readouts (obviously), and you’ll have continual alerts that the car can not find/read the sensor outputs.
I’m not aware of any third party sensors that work, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any.

• Informative
Reactions: jjtsl
I called the other day and was quoted $385 per rim, $85 per TPMS.
Perfect thank you. I got a pretty bad road rash last week after a asshole truck driver pushed me off the road. I called a bunch of rim repair shops and they all said it won’t look like as if you got it brand new but you can only tell the difference if you put the wheels side by side. I don’t know if I should repair the rim ($150-250) or buy a new one. I shouldn’t need a new sensor right?

Perfect thank you. I got a pretty bad road rash last week after a asshole truck driver pushed me off the road. I called a bunch of rim repair shops and they all said it won’t look like as if you got it brand new but you can only tell the difference if you put the wheels side by side. I don’t know if I should repair the rim ($150-250) or buy a new one. I shouldn’t need a new sensor right?

No you don't need a new sensor. they can just transfer it over to the new one

I'd look up some videos on YouTube of repairs you'd be surprised what they can do. But at $250 if it's pretty bad I'd probably just buy a new one yes.

I'm going to refer you to our other discussion thread regarding rim repair here: Touch up paint for aero wheel
Thanks for the thread. Someone brought up a very good point; I was already considering plasti-dipping my wheels to glossy black eventually, and now is the perfect time to do it because instead of wasting money on them painting it silver again they can just plasti dipp it. Also, the road rash would be noticable unless you paint the whole wheel so it’s a no brainer.

Fyi, I think all you need is Roma sensors operations at 433 MHz. I've always seen most places charge 75-100 per sensor, but on all my cars I've bought on eBay for 120-150 for a set and they have always worked. Plan on doing the same with my 3 when it comes.

Example eBay link below:

4x ITM TPMS Uni-Sensors Rubber Snap-In 433MHz for Tesla Model 3 2017-2018 | eBay

All you should need is the frequency. There are a bunch of ads for Honda sensors that operate at the same frequency. I'm sure those worluld work as well.

Now the thing I'm not sure about is if the relearn tool I have for my volt and wife's bolt will work with the 3....

Fyi, I think all you need is Roma sensors operations at 433 MHz. I've always seen most places charge 75-100 per sensor, but on all my cars I've bought on eBay for 120-150 for a set and they have always worked. Plan on doing the same with my 3 when it comes.

Example eBay link below:

4x ITM TPMS Uni-Sensors Rubber Snap-In 433MHz for Tesla Model 3 2017-2018 | eBay

All you should need is the frequency. There are a bunch of ads for Honda sensors that operate at the same frequency. I'm sure those worluld work as well.

Now the thing I'm not sure about is if the relearn tool I have for my volt and wife's bolt will work with the 3....

I searched and Model 3 Owners Club page has a thread that said the car will adapt and code to the new sensors on another set of rims after some driving around as long as they're 433Mhz. I ordered a set of four from Ebay ITM (linked above) - it says it'll work for the model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: pcons
I searched and Model 3 Owners Club page has a thread that said the car will adapt and code to the new sensors on another set of rims after some driving around as long as they're 433Mhz. I ordered a set of four from Ebay ITM (linked above) - it says it'll work for the model 3.

Good to know you don't need a relearn tool. Thanks for the info. Let us know how the sensors work out. I'm still a few months away from taking delivery as I ordered AWD, and no one in Canada seems to have gotten one yet :(

Tire update 19" Continental.
I rolled over a nail at some time, not sure when... Had tire repaired
Tire has a foam inside and some gooey sludge that is supposed to seal leaks. It worked somewhat, but I lost 25 pounds of pressure while parked, filled it up and it held pressure while driving.
So, if you find your car with a flat, try filling it and driving immediately, it should hold, at least temporarily

I have received the official quote from Tesla. OP if you can update the first post, that'd be great:

Wheel $250: 1234221-01-A - WHEEL, 18X8.5J ET40, PINWHEEL MAGNETO SVC
Aerowheel Cover $38: 1044231-00-B - 18 INCH PINWHEEL CAP
TPMS Sensor $85: 1074812-00-B - TPMS, WHEEL SENSOR, 433 MHz BLACK VALVE STEM WITH BLACK CAP (soft cap)
TPMS Nut $1: 1038975-00-A - TPMS NUT, BLACK, CONTI

I guess I will order the 4 rims and mount the X-Ice or Blizzak myself. There is really no need for 2nd set of aerowheel covers.
Has anyone had success in ordering AERO rims from TESLA? Should not be this hard...seems like they do not want to sell ...them.

Lawrence quoted me 250 per rim and 85 per sensor.

upload_2018-8-21_9-0-32.png

I opted for a set of IONs + 72.6 to 64.1 hub rings from Joycity Wheels and TPMS from ebay. Total was ~750.00 CAD with tax included.

103 (16

Has anyone placed an order for the winter tire set Model 3 18” Aero Wheel and Winter Tire Package
I'm very concerned that there will be long waits, stock issues and delays.
Any word if there are any other winter tire packages that they will be offering?

Thanks

Last I spoke to a fellow at Oakville during a service visit, he said they're hoping to be able to offer different tires instead of what's online but likely not for this coming winter. All the discussion here about the tires is great but for the extra $100-$200 or whatever it is, I'd rather have Tesla do this for me. Provides some recourse in case something goes wrong, despite how improbable an issue would arise by going elsewhere for a wheel and tire combo would be. Also helps that the service centre is a few minutes drive away from me. o_O