Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Turn Signals... ARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up.

I was just notified by my SC Manager that the entire steering column control module has been reworked by the factory and are releasing a new part revision to replace part # 1097662-00-K. I'm patiently waiting for the new revision that my SC ordered.

My car was towed to the dealer within 24hr of delivery for other issues. But I’m having them address the turn signal issue as well since the car is at the dealer anyway. Steering column control module is supposed to arrive today. Wonder if it’s the old one or new revision that I’m getting.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Month later, my local service centers are still waiting for the control stalk, they claim. This point, I'm filing a complaint with my State's Attorney General Office and BBB... Not that I expect it to accomplish anything.

Pretty sad. I’m lucky this is my only issue, but know several people who are hating their Tesla experience. I get they need to get cars out the door but they are really hurting the brand when they do this. Definitely nothing compared to service before Model 3 was out.

• Informative
Month later, my local service centers are still waiting for the control stalk, they claim. This point, I'm filing a complaint with my State's Attorney General Office and BBB... Not that I expect it to accomplish anything.
The problem seems to be a bad batch of steering column control modules. Almost everyone with the problem had it show up immediately; almost everyone has had it fixed by replacing the steering column control modules. Tesla's trying to get more steering column control modules.

Their hands are tied until they get enough parts. They've certainly ordered them. This is a case where there is really no point in filing a complaint. It's like the situation with Takata airbags; they will be replaced as soon as there are parts to replace them with, but if everyone tries to get them fixed at once, there just aren't enough replacements to go around.

• Helpful
Reactions: skitown
I had my car at SC today to fix the signal. I get the car back and they say they replaced the wiper unit.
Pull out of the SC and figure out within 5 mins that it's still not working correctly.

Light left signal will flash continuously about half the time. Exact same thing I had when I took it in.
Hard to be too mad, because they fixed a number of other issues including a ticking noise in my dash that i thought they would never find. Turned out to be something in the HVAC vent that needed aligned

• Informative
UPDATE: This saga is finally over for me...

97kALoH.jpg

I now have a correctly working control stalk for turn signals. I had a bunch of other work done but the control stalk was definitely the most annoying issue I had with what is otherwise a great car.

The other work I had done and fixed was:
  • Rattle from the Model 3 phone dock area.
  • Tire rotation (Front to Back, Back to Front).
  • Headlamp protrusion with front bumper by 1/4".
  • Rear passenger side door requires excessive force to close.
  • Tread wear check to make sure there is even wear after almost 6,000 miles.
Interesting note, both front tires were at 7/32" while both rears were still at 8/32" (all tires completely even wear across). These are the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 that everyone seems to hate. I'm surprised the front tires had more wear than the rear. I've always thought the vehicle was more rear-biased, but interesting data point.

I've put the rest of the relevant pages from my service invoice for reference as attachments, just in case anyone is curious. Good luck to everyone else who are having the turn signal stalk issues!

Page01.png Page02.png Page03.png
Service Invoice & Notes

Cheers!

Just dropped my month old model 3 car off at the dealership, to have my turn signal system looked at him another little things. When I asked them, they said there has been a large number of turn signal unit repairs required for this item, just in the Salt Lake City area. More than 200. They said it’s a known issue, and that everyone should take a look at their cars to see if it’s exhibiting anything like the left turn signal issues that I saw.(no 3 blink left turn signal when stalk is pressed just to first stop point). I had to laugh, the rental car they gave me is a 10 mpg Range Rover. Definitely other end of the fuel efficient spectrum.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Kermee
Success. Took the ranger about an hour. Here's the part list from the invoice:

STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE 1 (1097662-00-L)
AIRBAG HARNESS RETAINING CLIP 1 (1028053-00-A)

I was still on 36.2. He pushed 40.1 and said the latest would push that night. At dinner got an update notification, was able to initiate install from my phone since I was finally on v9. Thought that would be 42.2 and we could nav on autopilot on the way home, but after the update said it was successful we were still on 40.1... That's another topic.

• Informative
Reactions: brandonee916