Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just copied (right click) and pasted (Ctrl +V). Didn't realize I was creating a link. Lesson learned.

Here we go (I hope):
View attachment 230884

You've converted me into a "V-Spoke is the Aero wheel base" believer. Especially by pointing out the raised edge on the wheel design.

That said, perhaps that wheel is both for the aero wheel as well as V-Spoke design. (No aero cover, just lug nut cover)

I feel like these will be the base wheels

I think you're probably right. I doubt they'd inflict the aeros on us.

At first I didn't like this design as much, but it's really growing on me. I'd really like to see them with a center cap/lug nut cover.
Probably a good thing, as after EAP and big battery I'll be looking for savings wherever I can find it! :eek:

Agreed. And I'm personally cool with that. If the aero add-ons aren't crazy expensive I'll purchase those, too. Assuming they're reasonably priced.
The V-spoke 18" rims will be the base wheel and they will include the aero wheel covers seen recently. Run your car either with (for better range) or without (for those who hate them) covers, your choice.

The V-spoke 18" rims will be the base wheel and they will include the aero wheel covers seen recently. Run your car either with (for better range) or without (for those who hate them) covers, your choice.

I could see them as covers but do not think I would ever use them unless they increased range by 5% or more. Even then I would only use them on long trips.

I personally like the rims on the red reveal car and would pay an extra $2,500 for them in 19's.

Wheels.png

I could see them as covers but do not think I would ever use them unless they increased range by 5% or more. Even then I would only use them on long trips.

I personally like the rims on the red reveal car and would pay an extra $2,500 for them in 19's.

View attachment 231545
The red alpha wheel looks cool. The aero wheel on the grey alpha car also looks OK to me, I would prefer not having the two-toned look, instead a uniform brushed aluminum look would be fine. The alpha also had larger wheels, not 100% how it would look on a smaller size wheel, but I'm not too concerned, it'll probably be fine for me.

Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but are aero wheels more aerodynamic? How much of a difference could something like that make?

When they offered them on the Model S they increased range by about 3%. At low speeds they do not make that much difference.

Does anyone have a good picture of the RC aero wheels as the ones I posted were the alpha's.
Aero.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde

View attachment 231545
the turbine style that was on the non-functionable red alpha have a patent filed, so there may be a chance for them still (but there is also a patent for the blah steering wheel that was in the alphas)
04zUy68.jpg

(posted on Reddit by /u/marker2002)

Do you have basis for this or are you speculating?
It is observed and informed speculation. I.E. there is no indication of hub covers or hub nuts on the aero covers. There is a "silver circle" which is the underlying V-spoke rim. There are five "nubs" on the V-spoke rims that are apparent in photos to give wheel covers a base for attachment . Aero covers provide increased range to improve stated range. However many details may change between now and final reveal.
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but are aero wheels more aerodynamic? How much of a difference could something like that make?
Yes, a number of scientific experiments (google it). Experience on the salt flats with world record holders. Several hundred thousand Prius owners show that the included aero rim covers add 5% to 10% to efficiency and/or range depending how the car is driven.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Yes, a number of scientific experiments (google it). Experience on the salt flats with world record holders. Several hundred thousand Prius owners show that the included aero rim covers add 5% to 10% to efficiency and/or range depending how the car is driven.

Wow, 5-10% is worth while when you consider it'll cost you $10,000 for a 10% bigger battery and even more over the life of the car on charging.

Now if they could just make them look better. Might think about the black ones on the white model 3 with white interior and black out all the trim.

Now if they could just make them look better. Might think about the black ones on the white model 3 with white interior and black out all the trim.
Now you are being creative and thinking outside the box. I am on the same page. However, I have been in contact with an aftermarket guy who is working on alternate wheel covers at this very time. He is waiting for the final reveal before finalizing designs. I predict there will be tons of aftermarket products to satisfy 400K+ owners.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick