Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 won't look like other cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until we're building them as underwater vehicles, too..... :love:

Here is the Model 3 prototype:
LotusTopBig.jpg

;)

Tesla also has some precedent for trying the smaller battery/slower option: the Model S 40 kWh. I remember that Elon cancelled this car because it didn't drive sufficiently awesome enough. I seriously doubt they would revisit what the company considered to be a lackluster product.

Actually, I believe it was because the extremely low order rate didn't justify the manufacture of a separate pack.

IOW: Nobody bought them.

Long hood improves aerodynamics when you are driving backwards.
fish have big heads and long tails, remember?

Longer crumple zone on the other hand is true. But one can design a car to 'use' the crumple zone of the other car, like smart does.

Aerodynamics and aquadynamics are not identical.

Smart has that race car passenger cell that is not exactly lightweight for such a tiny car.

MPG 34 City and 38 Highway for such a tiny car is not acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately that is only a fan-created render, but if Model 3 actually looked like this, I would buy it in an instant. I think that design is absolutely perfect.

Never claimed I had insider access and leaked an official Tesla rendering.

Of course it is just someone goofing around with some skill.

Never claimed I had insider access and leaked an official Tesla rendering.

Of course it is just someone goofing around with some skill.

Of course I didn't mean to imply that you had claimed it to be official. Just that I personally was sad that this was not the official prototype as I think this would be rather gorgeous. Like a Tesla version of the e-Golf, which in itself is a great EV, but missing the Tesla touch ;-)
Anyway, another great render by theophiluschin, wo also gave us the Model S estate version that I think many here in Europe would buy in an instant rather than the standard Model S.

My original suspicion when starting the thread is now confirmed. Do I get a cookie? :tongue:

Does anyone else believe that this could be HUGE? As in, they are designing something totally new without blindly respecting any existing car design conventions?

But seriously, the idea to make it different but better than existing designs without crossing the weird line is a tall order. I say this because from a casual observation, it looks like utility and stunning designs are somewhat orthogonal. See Minivans and Camry vs Lambos and Ferraris. 2016 will be exciting.

What about falling raindrops?

The shape of a raindrop isn't inherently the shape with the lowest drag - it's actually the result of the interplay between the aerodynamic forces on the outside of the raindrop and the surface tension on the inside.

As a result, the raindrop/teardrop shape is a balance between the lowest surface area per unit volume (sphere) and the lowest drag force - mostly in the form of stretching the surface out into the low pressure region because the pressure differential exceeds the surface tension.
Walter

Smart has that race car passenger cell that is not exactly lightweight for such a tiny car.
MPG 34 City and 38 Highway for such a tiny car is not acceptable.

My Smart ED is one of the most efficient cars ever made for city driving, and one of the lightest at under 1000Kg.
While the BMW i3 for example is more efficient, the cost is far greater due to the materials used (carbon fibre re-enforced plastic, etc).

Note:
The reason the old Smart gas model got "unaccceptable" mileage had to do with the engine/transmission.
The new 2016 Smart gas model is far more efficient due to improvements in that area.

We know Tesla is freed from ICE need for an engine block in the front trunk area. As mentioned in this thread, even with Tesla's skateboard design the front trunk area still serves the purposes of offering storage capacity and a crumple zone for safety, and it's size and shape impact aerodynamics.

Everything in that last sentence is also true of the back trunk area. My point is, Tesla can take advantage of the lack of a need for a place for the engine block in it's design of the front or back, or some combination of new design opportunities for both. They can work out a balance between same/better aerodynamics, same/better storage, and same/better safety with innovative shaping of either of those spaces or both.

Elon said they're leaning towards a "radical" design rather than a smaller version of Model S.... That worries me a bit. I wasn't expecting them to actually shrink Model S down 20% and call it a day but he also said he didn't like "weirdmobiles". So, where's the happy medium?

The Tesla Teardrop, defining the new normal.

You might think it wouldn't be practical, but it will be great for carrying stuff: traffic cones, tomato cages, anything within reason.