Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3's Ride Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned the S, X and got the invite to put in the 3's order. Tesla ordering agents are really aggressive.

Perhaps my only wishes about the Tesla vehicles would be that the ride is more in line with the higher luxury vehicles like Lexus, MB, Caddys and adding additional standard features like the other car companies.

The ride quality for a 3 is expected to be a little more on the harsh side given the price point. However the ride on my S with the 21" and Air suspension and the X with the 19"/ all X comes with Air suspension I believe, the ride is still not on par with what you'd expect from a 6 figure vehicle compared to the other vehicles.

It's just a personal want for the vehicle to be more comfortable to sit in during those long rides to other cities and states. Maybe age has something to do with it as I'm late 30s but sitting for long periods in a Tesla compared to say a Lexus, it's a night and day comparison.

I find the suspension on the Model 3 stiffer/more sporty than on my Model S. That's not a bad thing. After driving it for a few days and going back to the Model S, it was clear that the Model S is smoother. But the Model 3 is a different car and is more nimble. There are plenty of people who would prefer either one.

My Model S has coil suspension and the Michelin Primacy tires. I've driven plenty of Model S with air, and the ride is softer. But I also once rode one with coil and with the Goodyear tires, and my first thought was to check the air suspension on the screen. I didn't check the air pressures and it wasn't the same model year so that's not necessarily the whole story but the Goodyear rode softer. The Goodyear for the Tesla are Tesla specific so there won't be quite the same ones for the Model 3 but if they make a Touring with SoundComfort technology, it might be pretty close.

To be technical, you are splitting hairs here. Tesla has stores and service centers. In California, Tesla company stores are licensed as dealerships solely because the only application form available was for a dealership.

But I've never figured out what to call the thing that is both a store and a service center in one on auto-row that has a bunch of inventory cars for sale on its lot, like this:

dealership.jpg

The 3 we just picked up doesn't feel that stiff. It's definitely softer than an old P85 S. It really feels like a 3-series BMW or thereabouts. Certainly not uncomfortable, just appropriate for a sport sedan.
So glad to hear that. I love the way the BMW 3 rides, so much better than the cream puff isolation of most cars.
Really sounds like Tesla have done the right thing and gone for a driver car.
That is an interesting choice given all the comments about FSD.

Reactions: DR61
Coils vs air suspension. Coils always will feel more sporty and in tuned with the pavement

Just like how some people don’t like the pillowy bouncy ride of air suspension.

Consider it feeling more “sporty”
There is NO way that is true. Coil suspension can be soft or sporty, or anything in between. Almost ALL lower end car use coil suspension, Honda, Toyota, GM, Volkswagen, Ford, you name it. And most of them has coil suspension tuned to the soft end of the spectrum.

I'm in my early 40's and have owned:
Acura TL with a spec suspension, Tesla Model S, and X with air suspension.

The ride in the model 3 is stiffer than all my former rides. My 3 has the base wheels, at max psi, odometer with 300 miles. If I had the option I would get air suspension.

However, I think the suspension in the 3 will be stiffer even with air suspension added. I had a loaner Model S with upgraded factory wheels, and no air suspension. This Model S is expected to have a sportier ride due to the larger rims and non air suspension, but I found it less harsh than the Model 3.

Still love the car and plan to find a less sportier tire when the time comes to replace them.

147 posts all discussing issues that are common to road vehicles. Understandable.
In context for my opinions, I have owned a Morgan+8, possibly the harshest ride of any ‘modern’ age vehicle. I enjoyed it. I also owned a Citroën CX, clearly at the other extreme. I enjoyed it.

I now have a P85D+ and adore it. Recently I replaced the ‘W’ rated OEM with ‘X’ rated tires. Skip the brand and style for a moment because lowering the speed rating produces a more comfortable ride independent of all the suspension tuning issues. Run flats are the worst of all. Why? The higher the speed rating the stiffer the tire precisely to reduce tire heat build up.

Since the OEM Model 3 tires are ‘W’ and the suspension tuning is skewed to responsiveness, it is just possible that switching to less stiff tires might work wonders. For context, on my Morgan, even ‘civilians’ could tolerate it when I switched to less stiff sidewalls.

Those who suggest a tire change cannot make a big difference are misinformed.
OTOH, those who suggest slightly lower tire pressure and waiting a few thousand miles are completely correct. The sidewall stiffness does reduce with time and, importantly, caring slightly lower pressure accelerates the tire breakin. Just don’t overdo it. If you are seriously analyzing-compulsive try replacing the air with nitrogen ( every light airplane hangar has nitrogen), which compresses a trifle more easily than does air and has the added advantage of leaking less than does air.

I recommend trying any of these cheap and easy solutions before giving up.

Sadly...as predicted:
Suspension / Ride Quality / Handling - Too firm or Just Right?

Didn't take long and I still predict it will become a common complaint (note: I have seen several more reviews since I wrote the post above and virtually ALL comment on the firm ride and some folks are even describing it as harsh).

To the OP, here's my advice: Don't do anything yet! Don't invest in new tires as they will likely make only a tiny amount of difference (if any). Drive the car for a few weeks. You will actually start to "adapt" to the firmer ride (at least somewhat) - sort of a weird human nature thing. You can always lower the air pressure by a few pounds, but expect only modest gains as the basic issue is really the damper tuning and no amount of "tire" changes is really going to alter that.

Your plan B after a few months if you don't adapt? Sell it.

What is interesting are the choices Tesla engineers made for suspension dampening, spring rates, and compliance for the Model 3. A new owner recently added that the ride felt less rough when the car was under heavy load (full passengers and luggage).

Hey all,

I picked up my Model 3 on Jan 2nd and am disappointed to find that I really do not like the ride. The suspension is very stiff and seems to magnify every bump in the road. Any significant seam in the concrete will leave me bouncing in my seat. On anything but a perfect road, I find it impossible to rest my head against the headrest or I'm constantly being jarred by it. Also, the steering wheel will vibrate considerably at highway speeds.

I have owned a Model S in the past and currently also own a Model X and this wasn't a problem for either of them.

I took it into the dealership and they seemed unable to say whether this was intended behavior. They reduced the tire pressure a bit but it hasn't helped to any great degree. The technician also suggested it needed to be "broken in" (something about the bushings) which wasn't very convincing.

Have other Model 3 owners noticed this? I understand suspension is a bit of personal preference but this seems at the really extreme end for a car aimed at a more mass market and autonomy.

Thanks,
Bob
Is there an adjustment on the steering? I have Standard and Sport in my Model S. Did you try the standard?

Can any 3 owners chime in if the 3 passes the 'baby and spouse in the back seat' test? I plan to use 3 for 1.5 hr trips instead of paying 25 dollars on gas every weekend. I really hope that 3 is not too sporty that back seat passenger would start complaining and crying.

Our 19" S with air passes this test, although she says ride is bit harder.

Can any 3 owners chime in if the 3 passes the 'baby and spouse in the back seat' test? I plan to use 3 for 1.5 hr trips instead of paying 25 dollars on gas every weekend. I really hope that 3 is not too sporty that back seat passenger would start complaining and crying.

Our 19" S with air passes this test, although she says ride is bit harder.

My 11 week old doesn’t love the backseat compared to my wife’s Pilot, but I think it’s mainly because I haven’t put a baby mirror in yet, and he likes looking around. My wife actually really likes the front seat in the 3 (not the case for most cars!) but didn’t think she could sit in the back for long distances due to the sears different geometry. I think the back seat is fine though, and I’m 6’4”

Sporty/Stiff suspension != Bad ride quality
It is all personal preference and I definitely like this sporty suspension better than the MS. Cannot compare to the Model X as it is a "SUV". The ride of this M3 reminds me of an E46 M3. And comparing to my 911 TT-S on Sports mode, this is like riding on clouds. ;)

This is great news, my wife won't let go of her e46 with sport suspension, maybe this will be the clincher. Sounds like this might be a bit harsher though, was that on the 19"?

I find the suspension on the Model 3 stiffer/more sporty than on my Model S. That's not a bad thing. After driving it for a few days and going back to the Model S, it was clear that the Model S is smoother. But the Model 3 is a different car and is more nimble. There are plenty of people who would prefer either one.

My Model S has coil suspension and the Michelin Primacy tires. I've driven plenty of Model S with air, and the ride is softer. But I also once rode one with coil and with the Goodyear tires, and my first thought was to check the air suspension on the screen. I didn't check the air pressures and it wasn't the same model year so that's not necessarily the whole story but the Goodyear rode softer. The Goodyear for the Tesla are Tesla specific so there won't be quite the same ones for the Model 3 but if they make a Touring with SoundComfort technology, it might be pretty close.
I'd rather the air suspension be a ride adjustable variant, i would not have bought my MS if it drove like my Lexus GS (which needed a lot of aftermarket mods not available for Teslas).
I have owned the S, X and got the invite to put in the 3's order. Tesla ordering agents are really aggressive.

Perhaps my only wishes about the Tesla vehicles would be that the ride is more in line with the higher luxury vehicles like Lexus, MB, Caddys and adding additional standard features like the other car companies.

The ride quality for a 3 is expected to be a little more on the harsh side given the price point. However the ride on my S with the 21" and Air suspension and the X with the 19"/ all X comes with Air suspension I believe, the ride is still not on par with what you'd expect from a 6 figure vehicle compared to the other vehicles.

It's just a personal want for the vehicle to be more comfortable to sit in during those long rides to other cities and states. Maybe age has something to do with it as I'm late 30s but sitting for long periods in a Tesla compared to say a Lexus, it's a night and day comparison.
It's not age, just preference as we are much older and I would not have bought my MS if it drove like my Lexus GS (which was saved by the availability of aftermarket parts). My wife actually prefers her e46 with sports suspension over every car we've tried over the last 20 years and didn't mind our STI except for the associated road noise. I suspect it's related to what cars you grew up (parents) affecting your preferences later in life.

Reactions: DR61
I think the big question here is how old is the OP?

Could be relevant, I'm 59 years old and had been driving Lincoln Town Cars prior to getting my Model S, by comparison the model S rides like a Buckboard and I have active air suspension. Perhaps someday someone will make a compelling EV with a suspension option or a means to tune the suspension for those of us who still appreciate the classic Boulevard ride.

Not all of us are interested in going from 0 to 60 with our hair on fire or having racetrack Ready cars some of us just want a nice comfortable quiet ride.

Road & Track doesn’t agree with this thread. I think a lot of people are just used to air suspension, SUVs or luxury cars cushy ride.

Tesla Model 3 Test Drive, Review - First Drive With the New Tesla Model 3
“Suspension tuning is compliant, never feeling overly firm or crashy even on the choppy, barely-maintained pavement of California’s mountain routes.” (Road & Track 2018).

Reactions: DR61 and EinSV
It would be interesting to compare You You's after his ~10k mile trip to a brand new Model 3.
I drove it when he stopped in the Seattle area. Felt perfect to me. I could feel just as much of the road as I wanted, but there was nothing about the ride that was "harsh." It was sporty but very comfortable. Though it should be noted that I think I prefer to err on the side of a slightly stiffer suspension.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and MP3Mike