Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S AP1 Getting Worse!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think y'all are off base on this one. I have a July 2016 S90D with AP1. Something went really weird on 17.24.28, and then got worse on 17.24.30. On 405N through downtown Bellevue, a highway that I almost always kick on Autopilot, the car started pulling to the far left side of the toll lane. The road layout of the screen looked good. The left wheels were on the left yellow line. This is a road that I have never had any issues with Autopilot on. I noticed that my car pulled down 17.26.17. Will give it another shot in a couple of days.

That's really odd. I also have a S90D AP1 April 2016 car running on 17.11.10.

I don't think y'all are off base on this one. I have a July 2016 S90D with AP1. Something went really weird on 17.24.28, and then got worse on 17.24.30. On 405N through downtown Bellevue, a highway that I almost always kick on Autopilot, the car started pulling to the far left side of the toll lane. The road layout of the screen looked good. The left wheels were on the left yellow line. This is a road that I have never had any issues with Autopilot on. I noticed that my car pulled down 17.26.17. Will give it another shot in a couple of days.

I agree that behavior changed with 17.24.68 and AP1. I see similar issues where the car seems to have trouble staying in the center, and on a couple occasions, drifted into the next lane.

Reactions: JohnnyG
It is interesting that the experiences are all over the board on this one. I know it is really subjective in general but this seems to have a much wide spread of experiences than usual. I wonder if there is a common thread between any of the positive or negative experiences such as different wheel alignments or camera/radar adjustments.

I personally fall into the camp of .28 being a small improvement. In my case, Tesla did a wheel alignment for the annual inspection, which was the same visit the .28 update was staged.

17.24.28 here. I drive primarily on rural roads where AP isn't "supposed" to be used. My AP has never been better. I can now crest most hills and turn most corners on undivided, 2 lane rural roads with probably 97% success rate. Extremely happy that I have AP 1.0 and not AP 0.2.

Hmm, this might explain my experience with the AP 1 loaner I had. I noticed it tried to leave the lane at least once and had a hard time staying centered. Made me wonder why everyone always said Autosteer was the bee's knees, since I found it pretty stressful on a perfectly straight highway. It was on 17.22.46.

Hmm, this might explain my experience with the AP 1 loaner I had. I noticed it tried to leave the lane at least once and had a hard time staying centered. Made me wonder why everyone always said Autosteer was the bee's knees, since I found it pretty stressful on a perfectly straight highway. It was on 17.22.46.

I'm on 17.24.28. It's only been in the last 2 upgrades and that I've noticed this issue. It was pretty rock-solid before that. Curiously, the last two upgrades were done by Tesla Service when I had it in for scheduled service (had to wait for some parts, hence second visit). Don't know how that could make a difference.

I disagree as well. I use the heck out of AP1 and it's wayyyyy better now than it was before. Stays centere much better, doesn't wander into turning lanes anymore nearly as much....it's basically fully functional for highway driving. Loving every minute. Have an update tonight, hope that doesn't change :)

I have 17.24.30 on late 2016 P90DL and ap1 seems little changed for some time now. Works pretty well. Still has problems with tight curves at moderate speeds. The car slows down but not enough to make the curve.

Edit: Just got 17.26.17. No specific upgrades mentioned in release notes.

Last edited:
I disagree completely with the OP... My car is able to handle routes and curves it simply couldn't when AP1 launched. I can't think of an update the regressed anything except for the very recent one which incorrectly classified part of a freeway I take as a local road thus limiting autosteer to +5. I have reported that to Tesla though so we'll see if they do anything about it... Otherwise, AP1 has only been getting better since launch.

Jeff

+1

Reactions: bobjustbob
I'm on 17.24.28 and as of this morning Tesla is trying to push new firmware. Looking at the tracker I presume it's 17.26.17. I think 24.28 for AP1 is a little worse than earlier releases in that it's a bit more wobbly, but on my car it has one great advantage: for the last three days the +5 AP non-expressway speed restriction has failed to function on all the roads I've tried. Since I assume new firmware will "fix" this, I think I will resist the upgrade, at least for a while. My question is whether anyone has experience with 26.17. Does it do anything positive that's compelling?

Reactions: JohnnyG
17.26.17 resolves the problem I was having. I got the update last night. I took the car on the same route that I drive with Autopilot almost daily. This route showed the problem with 17.24.28 and 17.24.30. The car would pull hard to the left immediately when AP was engaged.

17.26.17 may be smoother than it was before. Key is, the car no longer pulls and I am good with AP again.

On another note, PLEASE STOP with the "I am running the latest firmware" nonsense. That answer is worse than useless, and not helpful. Please cite the version number of the firmware that you are referencing. Support people you deal with in life with thank you for this. "The latest" is your perception, and may not be the actual latest firmware that is out there...

17.26.17 resolves the problem I was having. I got the update last night. I took the car on the same route that I drive with Autopilot almost daily. This route showed the problem with 17.24.28 and 17.24.30. The car would pull hard to the left immediately when AP was engaged.

17.26.17 may be smoother than it was before. Key is, the car no longer pulls and I am good with AP again.
This is encouraging. I also updated to 17.26.17 last night but won't be able to test it for a few days. Hoping others who experienced issues with 17.24.28 will chime in as well.