Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Apparently, selected press gets their first look at the new Model S beta prototypes starting Friday, September 30, 2011.

I am starting this post as a place to put information that can be found as it becomes available.
There will certainly be many news stories coming soon, but things may first start showing up on social media sites.

There is another thread to cover what customers / forum members see when they go to the factory on October 1st:
Pictures, videos, and news from the Model S (pre-)event Oct 1, 2011

Alpha vs Beta...

An Alpha:
lead5-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

A design studio rendering of a Beta:
9104886189.jpg

I think the most noticeable differences are:

• The placeholder "nose cone" has been replaced by something more like the design concept car.
  • The headlights and foglights look more like production quality, not cobbled together.
  • Chrome bits around the mirrors and such.
The interior is likely to be where we see a whole lot of changes now.

This picture had been online for a while, purportedly as an Alpha:
Tesla-Model-S-Alpha-3.jpg

But they seem to be using it in the design studio with some updates on the fog-lights in particular:
9126449688.jpg

Also the new rendering seems to have a more shiny/metallic finish on the wheels, which I much prefer over the flat/white 'sandblasted' aluminum look.

I guess maybe some of the 'photos' we have seen for some months were perhaps Alphas with some beta like 'photoshop' retouching done to them (?)

Last edited:
I guess maybe some of the 'photos' we have seen for some months were perhaps Alphas with some beta like 'photoshop' retouching done to them (?)

No doubt. Wheels changed, building reflections removed, added chrome (from the one in the building) added thing in the front vent (light?), and headight details.

Best to look at a still from the driving footage with the Roadster. Much harder to do mods on a moving car.

I still have mixed feelings about that chrome strip under the doors.
I was hoping that would go away, and it would be more body color wrapping around under.

Also have the extension for the rear-view mirrors be in chrome (vs black) seems to be something that has flip-flopped back and forth.

I am really liking the dashboard. I am not a fan of really big intrusive center stacks that split the cabin into two halves. They make me feel cramped and the car feels closed in. I'm glad to see Tesla stay close to the design concept. The front trunk looks pretty big.

I'm not feeling this new dashboard at all.
I am really liking the dashboard. I am not a fan of really big intrusive center stacks that split the cabin into two halves. They make me feel cramped and the car feels closed in. I'm glad to see Tesla stay close to the design concept. The front trunk looks pretty big.

Sounds divisive. Personally at the moment I really, really like it. I agree, really nice to see that empty space between the driver and passenger, makes it look so spacious. Also much easier for the clumsy no-doors-opened driver swaps we always find ourselves doing. I much prefer the instrument panel, I didn't really like all that blue that was around before. Looks simpler, cleaner and crisper with the information you'd want to be there(range, numeric speed, nav direction, music/radio display), there. I think overall the interior looks really well integrated, there are no aspects of it that really stand out as though they shouldn't be there as I find there are in most other car interiors. I love the seats and the simplicity of the rear leg space. I think the interior of a car is one of it's most important aspects, along with functionality and practicality. It's why you'd use a car rather than go by bus or train, and makes the most difference to your everyday life when driving as compared with a car that's not so well designed and engineered. From previous pictures I had thought the interior was going to have to be something to grin and bear, but what I see at the moment is great.

Last edited:
Can someone please find out whether or not the panorama sun roof will have any kind of interior screen or other mechanism to block sun when desired? where i am in Miami, even a tinted sunroof can be annoying when the sun is bright if there is no shade....

thanks in advance to all those who are sharing the experience for people like me who weren't able to make the trip ...all looks great so far!